The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

Yesterday, I made my first trip with five people in the car. I put 38.5 psi in the front tyres, 42 in the rear. I ran through the driving modes: comfort, normal, sport – and was impressed how much difference there is between each mode. 

The increased tyre pressure brought more feel of the road surface and comfort mode really smoothed things out. More floaty, but never any loss of control. I got onto some country lanes and tried the sport mode. If I was driving alone, I might like the lower gearing, stiffer suspension. But, with four passengers it felt a bit high strung, so I used normal mode. We hit one pothole that caught everyone's attention, but the car never lost composure.

The lanes were about 1.5 car width with occasional turnouts. When I had to keep left for oncoming cars, I could hear the brambles raking down the side of the car. I went to the car this morning with my G3 in hand to take a look at the damage. Thankfully, the scratches were confined to the wing mirror and were almost invisible after 15 minutes work.

"How was the ride?" I asked my rear seat passengers. "When you want to sell this car, we'll buy it", they replied.

'Nuff said.

Oh, yeah. I rarely floor it, unless I'm passing someone on a two-lane road. That's probably why I didn't notice any real power loss with five in the car. When I entered the motorway, the shotgun passenger said, "Nice power".

This is a terrific car.

• Like 1

Just to add: I now realise how sensitive these 19" tyres are to air pressure. I used to keep 37.5 psi in the tyres, which seemed a compromise between loaded and unloaded. But, the manual recommends 34 psi with three people in the car. That always seemed low to me. But, today I ran to the shops with my wife and had 36 psi in all four tyres. Remarkable difference. The road surface was felt through the dampers instead of through the tyres like before. A much smoother ride. I'll have to try the car with 34 psi next.

I do keep a foot pump in the boot, so changing pressures is not a bother.

I suppose the trade-off between low pressure and a soft ride and high pressure would be stability and mileage.

@freelunch

after install TPMS you will able see how pressure is changed by ambient temperature change

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/?do=findComment&comment=4893182

my final decision is 2.7; 2.5 Bar front; rear, in hot weather it increased +0.2

We took the Big Red Bus (BRB) to the Lake District over the weekend. A lovely, event-free trip blessed with perfect weather. A couple things of note:

Sun roof: We were enjoying low speed tours with the roof open and all the windows down, but things got a bit turbulent above 50 mph. I found that if the front windows were closed, but the rear ones open, we got a nice flow through and reduced noise.

DSG: We had loads of twisty, rising and falling, single-lane tracks to negotiate. I pushed the stick over to manual to hold the BRB in gear, because the auto was hunting a bit. I tried shifting with the paddles, but they were never where I needed them to be, as my hands were moving about the wheel. If I used the stick to shift, I kept knocking it back into auto.

Finally, I found that I could optimise the gear/engine braking by leaving the BRB in auto, but alternating between Drive and Sport with the stick. ’S’ worked neatly for decreasing speed on a downhill run or entering a curve, or running up a hill, as ’S’ drops the trannie a gear and holds it longer.

Then, snick it back into ‘D’ to shift up when things levelled/straightened out. I preferred it to Sport Mode, which TGBITW said was a bit uncomfortable. I think hearing the engine revs up and the suspension more firm gave her a sense of going faster, even when we weren’t. 

Also, snicking it back into ’S’ really made passing slow moving vehicles a doddle. The throttle response is much more accentuated in ’S’ as well. You could really tell the difference when back in ‘D’.

Anything less than an A road in the Lake District was a challenge. Narrow with 4” drop offs. (Vans and Land Rovers seem to be the vehicle of choice. Or tractors.) And potholes were abundant. After two days of abuse, I started noticing rattles coming from the driver’s door and what turned out to be the plastic housing for the interior lights and sun roof switch. If I pressed it, the buzzing stopped. Driving home on the motorway, the BRB was as quiet as ever.

Rear mud flaps would have been nice. The undercarriage and wheel arches need a good clean.

The road where our B&B was located was not even on the Columbus maps. I had to get my phone out and use Google to get to the address, which was shown on Google Maps. This is with the very latest download.

The cover flap on the left inside the boot (over the subwoofer) keeps falling off and I can’t get it to stay in position. I have no reason to get in there - maybe I’ll just use some gaffer’s tape.

I got 38.36 mpg for the trip.

And a sunburn. In the Lake District.

• Like 2

I have to say, I am really pleased with the mileage I am getting from this 220, especially considering the power it displays when called upon. I've posted a couple of shots. Since refuelling is from our recent trip to the Lake District – a mix of getting out of London, country lanes and motorway. Considering that my old 2008 Brera got a three-year average of 26.8 mpg and made less power, I think this is terrific.

The long-term shot confuses me a bit. One, I'm surprised the average mph is so high, since I do most of my driving in London traffic. Two, it shows the long-term mileage as 1,413 miles. I've put 4,000 miles on the car. The dealer put 1,700 miles on the car, but promised to do a reset before he gave it to me.

A minor concern. I am thrilled with this motor.

170721_since_refueling.JPG

170721_long_term.JPG

Edited by freelunch
  • Like 2

It really is an economical motor freelunch. I'm averaging almost 40mpg ATM with a lot of outside lane motorway and fast A road driving. Good 99 RON fuel makes a massive difference.

As for the 'long term' trip computer, it resets every 100 hours mate (or something like that) so what yours is saying is perfectly normal. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

I haven't tried the 99 RON, yet, as I don't have a local source. Usually the BP high test.

Oh, as an adendum, I stopped for fuel in the Heston Services (BP), on the M4 just after Heathrow. I paid 18 pence a litre more than the BP in my neighbourhood.

Edited by freelunch

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

Oh, as an adendum, I stopped for fuel in the Heston Services (BP), on the M4 just after Heathrow. I paid 18 pence a litre more than the BP in my neighbourhood.

Ouch:@

• 2 months later...

Just put first tank of Tesco 99ron the difference in power is very obvious

I have new superb 220 July registration now 1250 miles on clock

Tesco 99ron same price as BP normal unleaded so no brainer

Will update on mpg later But the car is about fun and power Its awesome now

• Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 20:06, freelunch said:

I have to say, I am really pleased with the mileage I am getting from this 220, especially considering the power it displays when called upon. I've posted a couple of shots. Since refuelling is from our recent trip to the Lake District – a mix of getting out of London, country lanes and motorway. Considering that my old 2008 Brera got a three-year average of 26.8 mpg and made less power, I think this is terrific.

The long-term shot confuses me a bit. One, I'm surprised the average mph is so high, since I do most of my driving in London traffic. Two, it shows the long-term mileage as 1,413 miles. I've put 4,000 miles on the car. The dealer put 1,700 miles on the car, but promised to do a reset before he gave it to me.

A minor concern. I am thrilled with this motor.

170721_since_refueling.JPG

170721_long_term.JPG

The long-term displays reset themselves after 100 hours (IE 100 hours of the ignition switched on, not just driving....) that's why you have an apparent discrepancy.

Serious question, is 220 ps enough in a Superb? 

We are considering a new('ish) car to replace our Superb 2 & that's been re-mapped to 252 ps, so should we look for a 280 as a replacement rather than a 220?

DC

I think so.  I test drove the 1.4 TSI and that was fine.  I ordered the 2.0 TSI as I wanted something a little bit fun.

Now that I've completed the run in, I can push a bit more.  If you push the loud pedal all the way down in sport, it's quicker than it ever needs to be.  Overtaking is no problem.  

The 280 doesn't make any more torque.  It just continues to make peak torque at a higher rpm range.  The 220 actually hits peak torque earlier.  

So to get the extra performance out of the 280, you need to wring it out more.  The 4x4 probably accounts for a lot of the performance difference.

If you got the 220 and it wasn't enough, remaps offer 300ps.

As others have said, torque will matter more than power for everyday driving.

The 220 produces 350Nm of torque.  I don't know what engine you have in your Mk2, but the 1.8 produced 250Nm and the 2.0 produced 280Nm (obviously before any remap).

5 hours ago, simhub said:

As others have said, torque will matter more than power for everyday driving.

The 220 produces 350Nm of torque.  I don't know what engine you have in your Mk2, but the 1.8 produced 250Nm and the 2.0 produced 280Nm (obviously before any remap).

If you'd read my sig........

It's a 2012 2.0 TSi,  the same / similar engine as the Octy Mk 2 FL vRS or the Mk 6 Golf GTi

According to Skoda it was rated at 200 PS / & 280 Nm, which is about 10 PS lower than a similar engine when installed in a 2012 VW

I've owned the car from February 2013 & it was remapped by AMD Tuning about 2 months later @ app. 6K miles.

Their figures were 214 PS & 291 Nm before  remapping. After their tweaking it produced 249 PS &  361 Nm. 

It's now covered 26K miles & has been treated to a Pipercross air filter, so it "might"  be 1 or 2 % better now...........

It's great to drive ,very docile, very linear throttle response, long-term average mpg is 36.4 mpg over 58 hours & quite nippy when required.

It won't keep up with our Golf, ( the lack of AWD does spoil the initial acceleration ) but it's more economical & much quieter.

We are considering a more modern replacement,  a Superb obviously, a 2.0 TSi Passat GT. or maybe even a used Audi A4 Avant with

the 252 PS TSi & the 7-speed S-Tronic / DSG.

HTH, DC

7 hours ago, dg360 said:

I think so.  I test drove the 1.4 TSI and that was fine.  I ordered the 2.0 TSI as I wanted something a little bit fun.

Now that I've completed the run in, I can push a bit more.  If you push the loud pedal all the way down in sport, it's quicker than it ever needs to be.  Overtaking is no problem.  

The 280 doesn't make any more torque.  It just continues to make peak torque at a higher rpm range.  The 220 actually hits peak torque earlier.  

So to get the extra performance out of the 280, you need to wring it out more.  The 4x4 probably accounts for a lot of the performance difference.

If you got the 220 and it wasn't enough, remaps offer 300ps.

I suspect that a remapped 220 might need AWD, based on our experiences with a remapped Superb & EOS, when compared with the Golf.

Cheers, DC

• 1 month later...

I thought it was about time to resurrect this topic with a 6 month update of life with my 220. I am still smiling all over my face whenever I drive it.:biggrin::biggrin:

I only use premium fuel Tesco 99 /Shell/Esso 97 etc. 

• The consumption is really quite something for a car with this much shove and rush. I haven’t done a lot of mileage in the past 6 months and most has been on local rural roads at 40-60 with the inevitable ‘quick’ overtakes on the only straight section for xx miles. Average over 3500 miles is around 37 mpg. On similar usage with my previous S3 TDI 150 I only achieved 42 mpg. On a recent long run (170 miles each way) up country mostly motorway the average was 41 going up and 43 coming back down. All figures from the maxidot.
  • The engine is so smooth and quiet except when you crack the whip at the whole line of horses when you can hear it working.
  • The DSG box is much better with the petrol engine with much smoother changes that are almost imperceptible most of the time. In the diesel it was much harsher especially from 2nd  to 3rd or from 3rd to 2nd. This one whines a bit on over run  in 2nd /3rd at 1750 rpm but dealer has it logged and says all OK for now.
  • So, as far as mechanicals go I am a very happy S3 220 tsi driver.

Good things;

• The DCC is a bonus. Not only having the option to change to set parameters. For example a relaxed bounce along the motorway towards the end of a long journey is 'comforting'. Also the individual mode where you can select elements to suit your regular style. The paddles I use far more often than I did in the Merc. Possibly due to the stability issue mentioned below but they do work very well.
  • I didn’t spec the heated steering wheel, it came with the car. Like the electric kettle in the 60’s. You didn’t know you needed one until you had it. A great addition to comfort now that cold mornings are here.
  • The dynamic light assist. It is brilliant :dry:.
  • Canton sound system. Works very well even on DAB radio. With audio files it is one of the best I have had for surround and depth.
  • Had the window noise/ trim issue that was fixed by the service guys.

Niggles are first world problems:

• The general ride is a bit problematic. It feels less planted than the diesel did; likely the extra lump over the front wheels in the diesel explains that. In normal drive the car often rolls quite sharply once into some corners (no I am not!); in Sport it is better but still a million miles away from SWMBO’s V40 in terms of stability. I will get the suspension/geometry set up checked I think. It is quite noticeably different from the diesel.
  •  The auto hold gives a very jerky start so it has been disabled. Just as easy to flick the electric parking brake if you need to hold. That eases off nice and smoothly.
  • Stop/start is a no-no for me so it is switched off. What a stupid environmental gimmick it is.  
  • Removing/replacing the internal hatch cover. That is one big boot and I must reach in from the side to take it out and then move it with my arms fully extended. Easy to get a bit wet and muddy if you lean too close; that usually happens when trying to replace it and getting the lugs lined up correctly.
  • That stupid small box in front of the gear lever with the ONLY usb connection which is vertically mounted. Why, why, why?   There is plenty of room in the central console. That is one mod I will do when also fitting the dashcam.
  • Sat nav is typically clunky for a built in system. Now I have android auto I use google maps. Quick and easy to voice control and has current traffic. On the Skoda system all I get is traffic up to 50 miles away from where I am and it is difficult to see whether the hold up is one direction or both.
  • the reversing camera that stays on when you switch to forward gear and doesn’t go off until you reach about 10 mph(?). Why?

Happy days indeed. I had my short fling with diesel but have now fully recovered.:biggrin:

Edited by Sagalout

On 05/07/2016 at 22:22, Rainmaker said:

2x Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on the front, and the factory Pirelli Cinturato P7s on the rear. The Michelins are night and day better than the P7s, with much more grip, less road noise, less yaw on turn in and so far I haven't been able to get the fronts to spin from a standing start or for traction control to light up.

Nice to know that from your first hand experience. My 220 L&K has the factory P7s on and I am not happy with them. Mind you I have only reached about 1000 miles from new in it. When the time comes I will have a look at the Mich's or Bridgestones (had the latter on my Saab 9-5 and they were superb),

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 20:17, freelunch said:

Since then, I have had a "bang" once more, in wet weather. 

I have experienced the bang too. The other day on a moist road - I thought I had gone down a pothole or over a bit of dodgy tarmac but hadn't. It was a "flooring" moment. I shall have to do the gradual throttle thing before flooring.

Just catching up on the thread - some useful info contained.

Edited by TerryMcK

11 hours ago, Sagalout said:

That's a useful reminder. I had forgotten Rainmakers comments about the P7 and stability. It may be the base of my issue.

It certainly won't be helping mate. I have said before though, for all its virtues the mk3 just doesn't feel anywhere near as solid or planted as my mk2. Admittedly the latter had a diesel lump and more weight over the nose, but you could literally drive through gales and not know unless you cracked the window (and then jumped out of your skin at the instant deafening roar as the wind batters you!). In the mk3 things just never feel as solid or planted to the road ime. It's 'too' light in some respects but for my money the suspension setup just isn't as good. It would also explain why some (eg Alex/BillyJim) say they don't see much of an issue. Heavier AWD running gear and adaptive dampers would help there compared to FWD and (poor, imho) shocks.

She's still a lovely boat of a thing overall though, and always feels instantly at home on the motorways. Despite the foibles this is one of the few cars I've never really itched to change. I go hot and cold at times, certainly (mostly after B road jaunts) but I always warm back up to it again. I'm on my last year with the car now (already!) so my mind has been caught roving its eye over the competition for replacement time. Although I do like the engine, I wouldn't have another VAG I don't think. My wife and I have had a chat and she's going to test drive an S-Max (petrol and manual, of course) this week - stealer appointments permitting - and place an order. That can do for the family transport; 5 of us all in but with rumours of another in the nearish future. That then leaves me free to buy something more... suitable :devil:... for when we don't have to cart the kids and prams around etc. Something small, light, RWD or AWD, petrol, and with 6 or so cylinders if things go to plan. Who knows yet though?

For now I'm getting down towards 2mm on the tyres so it's time to get some proper rubber on there in time for winter.

• Thanks 1

(Adding this 'edit' here because you've already seen my OP, sorry. I forgot to mention it and didn't want you to miss it as it may help you).

BTW, if you haven't already have a play with your tyre pressures (when stone cold, first thing AM). I found the factory recommendations too extreme either way. At 32psi it drove quite heavily and economy suffered for no real benefit. At the 'eco' setting of 38psi it was far too light and prone to wandering in lane slightly and being a bit too twitchy. I found 34 to 36 psi (roads/journey dependent) to be the best compromise. Feels much more stable than anything higher, but much lighter on its toes than at 32. YMMV but it's worth a try if you haven't already. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've spent the past two days getting the winter off the BRB. Polish and wax (two applications on the horizontal surfaces). I was buffing the final coat when a 20-something lad asked me "is that a Škoda?" He looked surprised. "I told you so!" shouted his girlfriend from the corner. I'm embarrassed to say, I felt a little rush of pride. I don't know how their conversation might have gone otherwise, but I prefer to put a positive spin on it.

I got a reading from my first tankful of Momentum99: 35.4 mpg. This is the same as my yearly average, but considering it is a winter reading, I thought it was pretty good. I'll be curious to see what warmer weather brings. We're off to Berlin in April. Probably the mileage will suffer on the Autobahn. :biggrin:

To prepare for the trip, I went to KwikFit (it's close) to have my wheels rotated (criss-crossed) and aligned (8K miles). Right front was slightly out. £84.95. When I got home, I had a close look at the printout. At the bottom of the page, it says "One or more of the variables are not within specification. Tire (sic) wear, handling and safety problems may result." Hmmm.

A close study shows all readings are better than before the work was done, only one spec (right front caster) was .06' below the correct range. I suppose I'll walk over and see what the service manager has to say about that on Friday.

Today, the rain is beading nicely on that shiny car.

• Like 2

If I'm reading you right freelunch, that's your first tank of M99 after running on 95? It usually takes a couple of tankfuls of the better stuff for the full benefit to become apparent. Stick with it before you decide whether it's working for you or not. You can't beat freshly protected beading/sheeting bodywork, amirite? :cool: I gave ours a winter wash-off a week or so ago, after not washing it properly (i.e. by hand) since October. It had a couple of coats of Soft99 Fusso Dark on there, and I was surprised - and impressed - to see it still beading and sheeting all over like day one after a wash and rinse. Even behind the wheel arches and sills. Excellent! I only needed to spray it down with Fukupika (The Fusso QD/top up) after drying, and it should see us through until the end of autumn now. My wife's S-Max was delivered last week, so I still have that to decontaminate, clay, wash and protect yet. The weather's been too poor.

My 220 hasn't had as much use this week, so I can't wait to get it out and stretch its legs. It's been a nice change driving something hard and still seeing over 40mpg though. :D 

Yeah, first tankful and I topped it up again with 99. The Tesco is a couple neighbourhoods away, but I'll try to make it a routine. I put 65.5 liters in and the computer said I still had 40 miles left in the tank. It's the first time I've let the fuel gauge drop into the red. It was nice that the computer offered to direct me to the nearest petrol station.

My detailing OCD is softening with age. I do my "claying" with a mitt rather than a clay bar. Meguiar's Deep Crystal polish followed by Bilt Hamber DSW, because they are easy and do the job. A thorough job just before and after winter, then a wash and spray with Meguiar's Ultimate Kwik Detailer to freshen things up.

After two days of applying the elbow grease, I'm knackered!