Removing a DSG gear knob.

The chrome is flaking on my DSG gear knob on the top edge of the trigger part, where it contacts the main body at rest.

I'm hoping I can get it done under warranty but just in case how hard are they to remove?

• 1 year later...

It is quite easy

Pull up the gearshift cover at the back end with a couple of suitable tools (screwdrivers if you dare)

Disconnect the electrical connections

Raise gearshift cover and open the clip / clamp you see at the bottom of the gear knob

Pull gear knob off without pressing the lock button

I've got the same issue on my 2016 VRS. It's just been in the dealer today for some other warranty work and I was told it wouldn't be sorted under warranty and that I should get some wet and dry paper and smooth off the edges!! That's service for you!!!

9 minutes ago, CJSVRS said:

Mine was done under warranty so never needed to remove. 

Did they put up a fight or accept the fault? I was told they had never seen the issue before, although clearly from searching the web that isn't the case! I think I'll be calling back in!

Mind you - my car is clearly a 'Friday afternoon car' - it's had 4 Haldex units in it in the last 10 months, so it's probably cost them a fair bit!!

Edited by thomas5265

Accepted the fault. To be fair I have a good relationship with the service manager and he just submitted it. However he did warn me that Skoda may reject it once they received the damaged part, I.e. Not his decision. However no problem. 

I have just noticed this happening on mine - flaking on the edge and a slight bubbling as well.

Will definitely call it on my first major service in a few months and see if I can get it switched - my dealer has been pretty good on this sort of stuff.

• 2 years later...

I had mine replaced under warranty.

I went to the dealership with a cut finger and blood on the gear lever from where I'd sliced my finger on a sharp bit,

15 hours ago, logiclee said:

I had mine replaced under warranty.

I went to the dealership with a cut finger and blood on the gear lever from where I'd sliced my finger on a sharp bit,

I had the same thing happen on a brand new Peugeot 307 which I had as a hire car and the chrome peeled on the handbrake button and cut my thumb wide open.