190bhp, experiences, q&a's

.Also had the dealer program the DRL's on the rear lights.

Hi, first post on forum. Expecting delivery in late june S3 TDI 190-DSG and asked dealer here in Sweden if they could activate DRL on rear lights but he said it was not possible.

Did your dealer mention how they did it?

Hi, first post on forum. Expecting delivery in late june S3 TDI 190-DSG and asked dealer here in Sweden if they could activate DRL on rear lights but he said it was not possible.

Did your dealer mention how they did it?

Hi, no he didn't mention but check the VCDS thread for details.  The dealer should be able to do this easily.

• Like 1

Yes, same as in the front.. I think this should be standard on all cars but EU regulations only demands DRL in the front for some reason.

I think it looks really good when no light is on in the rear in daylight. :)

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I think it looks really good when no light is on in the rear in daylight. :)

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Light conditions are constantly changing throughout the day and even strong sun can make a vehicle invisible to other road users so rear DRLs would be a very useful safety feature IMO.  Another issue is when people drive around at dusk or even at night thinking they are fully lit up (because they can see some light from the front DRLs) but are totally invisible from behind.  I see this time and time again these days and its getting more noticeable. Also in poor weather conditions this is an issue.  Of course, automatic lights will largely solve this problem (except in fog when the auto lights system doesn't seem to recognise the difference) but not all models are fitted with that system.

A simple coding change in the factory could make this another 'Simply Clever' (or Simply Safer!) feature for Skoda and one of the few car manufacturers to do so as well.

• Like 2

But if you think it's a safety issue. Then you should have full light on all the time. Also in the front. Not only the led lines. Right?

Yes, I use dipped beams all the time for that reason but then it defeats the purpose of DRLs plus I have to remember to switch to auto at night to get benefit of adaptive lights, leaving/coming home functions etc.  As I say, the auto lights (available on many Superb variants) does eliminate the issue at night but at a more general level across other manufacturers this is a problem as not all have auto lights.  This is why I think it should be mandated for front and rear across the board. The average spec family hatch or SUV may not have auto lights present.  As an example, I was driving behind a Qashqai last night in town about 10pm - the driver was obviously totally unaware as there was plenty of light from the front DRLs but invisible from behind.  They had a couple of kids on board too......

There is another argument of course that we need to be more aware, not rely on technology so much and think a bit more about what we are doing on the road!  Okay, rant over :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car has just over two thousand miles on it now and i'm still a happy bunny. Last week went on holiday to Isle of Arran with the car fully loaded with camping gear and the roof box also full to capacity if not weight. Unfortunately due to a miss understanding between my wife and myself I planned the journey to Ardrossan ferry terminal for an 8am set off which would get us there nice and early. We had just left home and were 10 mins. into the trip when I said just confirm the ferry time will you love, reply yes we have to be their for 12 to sail at 12.30, WHAT you told me 1.30 sail, no we should be at the camp sight for 1.30pm. Check GPS arrival time at ferry terminal 12.05pm. Best get my foot down, the trip was just short of 200miles and was all A-Class with the exception of about 25 miles M6, A74. I can confirm that the vehicle even fully loaded and set to sports suspension will, when required, make very good progress and at 11.50am we pulled into the ferry terminal in time to catch the ferry, driven in such a way resulted in 36mpg which I was quite happy with under the circumstances, it has since returned to its average of just over 40mpg. The truth, had I been driving any other car of the same size regardless of engine capacity I could not have arrived any quicker and still had a driving licence. Believe me I don't need any more than this 190 engine, it has done everything I could possibly want and even when fully loaded is plenty quick enough for UK roads.

Edited by russ1610
  • Like 1

But if you think it's a safety issue. Then you should have full light on all the time. Also in the front. Not only the led lines. Right?

DRLs are there to be seen by other motorists. IMO led front lights are fulfilling this purpose just fine.

No rear DRLs is IMO a safety hazard, I have had to hit the brakes several times when suddenly being aware of a "darkened" car in front of me especially with a low morning/evening sun shining right at me.

• Like 2

I agree. There should be a simple way to turn the DRL's on for both ends of the car, and certainly without needing to use VCDS. I use my lights on auto too but they regularly fail to come on in mist or rain, even on the 'early' setting so requiring manual selection.

When mine goes in for it's service I'll ask them to turn them on......unless I decide to get my own copy of VCDS and the cable.

• 2 months later...

5500 miles up and the car is still driving like a dream and averaging about 40mph overall, which may improve now that it is after camping season as I have taken the roof bars off. Generally the car has been used either in town for short trips or on long trips fully loaded with roof box fully loaded as well. On the motorway it's doing about 43mpg with the ACC set at 80 just refilled with Adble for the first time did it at the service station at a pump said it had 800 miles left took 14.25 litres at a cost of £9.48 which I thought was very reasonable indeed. It now says it will not need doing for a further 8500 miles.