Rear bumper protection

Cumbrian28

Has anyone fitted a Rearguard stainless steel bumper guard to their FL Yeti? Any difficulties or problems? Do you like the effect? Does it fulfil the brief?

Thanks,

Steve

Can't help, but I've been having similar thoughts i.e. is there enough clearance when the rear door shuts? A stupid thought on my behalf though as it's obviously been designed for the job!

I'm thinking black though but can't one to match the other plastics like the side mouldings, only carbon or glossy black. Or maybe go for a clear film.

Edited by VAGCF

You would think that they would be perfect but I have read on others forums ( fora?) that they can foul the boot lid. (Not Yeti forum) The colour choice depends on the car colour. But! Carbon goes with just about everything, good choice. I like the contrast.

I have recently fitted a black plastic Rearguard protector to my FL Yeti and have had no problems.  It doesn't foul on the rear door and installation was easy. 

There was a thread about bumper protectors a few months ago.

Has anyone fitted a Rearguard stainless steel bumper guard to their FL Yeti? Any difficulties or problems? Do you like the effect? Does it fulfil the brief?

Thanks,

Steve

I have fitted a plastic one.The stainless should be thinner than the plastic and the plastic does not foul the door in any way. Mine is a City model and the fit is spot on. It should be as they sent me templates to work out the exact sizes for production. The original was a silver model and it went well with my Candy white Yeti with silver trim. The model I have fitted now is the black. This also looks good and I choose it as I thought it would hide any potential marks, which it does. It has faded a little over 20 months but I have not attempted to rejuvinate it yet. I am very pleased with the product as it adds good protection, including the roll lip of the bumper that others, including the genuine Skoda model fail to do

If you contact rearguard they will send out samples for you to look at.

Colin

Colin

I have recently fitted a black plastic Rearguard protector to my FL Yeti and have had no problems.  It doesn't foul on the rear door and installation was easy. 

There was a thread about bumper protectors a few months ago.

That sounds like the one for me.

What finish is on the plastic - is it slightly pimpled?

Thanks for all the replies, I fancy the stainless one as I am due to get a Quartz grey car and think that it will be a good match/contrast. Pleased that I can expect the fit to be exact.

Yes agree, should look good.

Would look good with my Petrol Blue as well but with the silver under the bumper I think it will look too much.

I could always have the rear silver bumper insert and lower front bumper repainted gloss black and go with a gloss black! :D  

But I try not to mess with my cars too much so probably won't bother but who knows?

Actually, just having another look at it the stainless would look OK given that I've got the stainless tail pipes and the badges etc.

Though really I'd like to go with the clear film if it went over the lip of the bumper as well. Googled last night and couldn't find anything pre-cut for the Yeti.

I wouldn't bother at all if it wasn't for other people. On a previous car someone just dragged a suitcase out of the back and over the bumper before I had chance to lift it out clear of the bumper.

Like someone at work last week who opened their door onto mine and took a fair sized chip of paint out of the middle of the door and put a ding in it. I know these things happen and it's one of the risks of actually using the car :D  but it's still annoying when it happens. Sorted though now.

Edited by VAGCF

Actually, just having another look at it the stainless would look OK given that I've got the stainless tail pipes and the badges etc.

Though really I'd like to go with the clear film if it went over the lip of the bumper as well. Googled last night and couldn't find anything pre-cut for the Yeti.

I wouldn't bother at all if it wasn't for other people. On a previous car someone just dragged a suitcase out of the back and over the bumper before I had chance to lift it out clear of the bumper.

Like someone at work last week who opened their door onto mine and took a fair sized chip of paint out of the middle of the door and put a ding in it. I know these things happen and it's one of the risks of actually using the car :D  but it's still annoying when it happens. Sorted though now.

Skoda do a clear one now it covers the area and just over the first lip, had it fitted to my new L&K by the dealer FOC, the normal price is £51 I think  :o but worth it to stop the scratches. 

Look in the on line accessory's for the Yeti you will find it there.

Edited by wakev

I cut my own to suit out of 3M clear vinyl. It folds over the first edge (lip) of the bumper.  The same stuff that's used to protect helicopter rotor blades. :thumbup:  

A 150mm wide X 3000mm long was about £15. Got plenty left so was thinking of making protection strips for the door sills.  

Edited by RickT

I cut my own to suit out of 3M clear vinyl. It folds over the first edge (lip) of the bumper.  The same stuff that's used to protect helicopter rotor blades. :thumbup:  

A 150mm wide X 3000mm long was about £15. Got plenty left so was thinking of making protection strips for the door sills.  

I got the 150mm wide 3M from eBay but found it did not come over the bumper edge enough so had to get 200mm.

Skoda do a clear one now it covers the area and just over the first lip, had it fitted to my new L&K by the dealer FOC, the normal price is £51 I think  :o but worth it to stop the scratches. 

Look in the on line accessory's for the Yeti you will find it there.

Thanks. I did have a look at the accessories via Skoda UK but the clear film, and the black moulding for that matter, isn't listed for the Yeti. I'll have to give the dealers a ring and see how much.

Thanks Rick and Urrell, that's another option to look at.

Thanks. I did have a look at the accessories via Skoda UK but the clear film, and the black moulding for that matter, isn't listed for the Yeti. I'll have to give the dealers a ring and see how much.

Had the Skoda transparent foil fitted to my new Yeti Outdoor, cost fitted £41. Part No. 5L6 071 363A

post-109862-0-47664400-1460579554_thumb.jpg

The transparent foil coupled with the genuine lip protector (which I have) would be a very neat solution.

I have the genuine protector - people scoff continually that it doesn't protect the corner, but the dimpled sections on the protector itself mean it's really difficult to touch the corner anyway as objects are lifted away - hence 2 years later, no marks.

And it looks factory - unlike those RGM / Rearguard items that are so obviously aftermarket...

2zteq2b.jpg

Had the Skoda transparent foil fitted to my new Yeti Outdoor, cost fitted £41. Part No. 5L6 071 363A

Thanks, that's useful. The price is coming down!

Got another airport run soon and want to be prepared!  :sweat:

137699 - what colour is that, looks like silver? Not listed in the latest accessories brochure. I see that Super Skoda do a silver one but it is for pre-facelift models - has the top of the rear bumper really changed? Mine is a 2016 MY  Urban/City/Indoor.

I agree that for objects your trim is just fine unless someone completely misjudged something rough/heavy being loaded or an over zealous dog.

Your solution would be neat - I wonder if the trim would stick to the foil?

Edited by VAGCF

Like someone at work last week who opened their door onto mine and took a fair sized chip of paint out of the middle of the door and put a ding in it. I know these things happen and it's one of the risks of actually using the car :D but it's still annoying when it happens. Sorted though now.

I'm pushing my luck here, but I get the impression that people are much more careful these days in carparks as we haven't had a ding in the side, that I can remember, for years..........that's done it!

("sorted" how so?)

Edited by Ryeman

Some people are careful but others don't give a jot. Depends so much on where you park/kids opening doors etc.

I try and lessen the risk but got caught there. I think that part of the problem is the pre-set positions that the doors open to -  get between two and the door can suddenly spring open further. I think that the offending vehicle was probably parked quite away from mine and their door opened fully onto mine. If they'd been nearer they may have been more careful or the impact less? They knew they had done it as you could see finger marks where they'd run their fingers over it to check.

As said, this is a fact of life, but it's annoying because this damage is done by others/careless folk. Bad enough if you do it yourself, but at least it's your fault or a flying stone etc.

Every new car I've had over the last few years has been damaged by other's carelessness, and worse than just a ding.

As to being sorted - the chip was about half the size of a little finger nail, so too big to be touched in, and there was a slight ding. Took it to a local spray shop, who said they could either repaint the door (no way!) or touch it in and machine polish it, though they said you would probably still see it. I said that it would still be a better job than I could do.

But they did a cracking job and I can't see it at all. They also polished a stone chip I'd touched in on the bonnet.

Edited by VAGCF

I've ordered the clear film from the Skoda dealer.

I'm pretty handy so going to fit it myself. Apart from making sure the bumper is totally clean are there any useful tips? I'll also be using masking tape to position it centrally etc. if required.

Does the film go on totally dry or do you spray the surface first so that you can move it around if needs be? I will be reading the instructions first if there are any!

Usually you mix up a solution of washing up liquid and water, about the same concentration as doing washing up in a spray bottle.

Clean the area where it's going and your hands.
Spray the bumper and your hands with the soapy solution, remove the backing from the film and place where it's going.
Use something like a credit card to squeeze the soapy water out and make a bond between the film and bumper working outwards to get rid of bubbles.

Edit:

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 1

When I ordered the side decals the instructions said 1ml detergent to a litre water in a spray bottle.

Like Urrell says spray everything Bumper,  your hands and the sticky side of the film (stops getting fingerprints) masking tape when in position then squeegee it, My decals came with a proper 3M squeegee.

If you end up lifting it off to re-align it then spray everything again.

leave 24hrs to fully dry & fix.  

Have fun.