Silicone Grease on electrics

JPBSLXI

Found this information while looking for something else as I have seen a couple of post advocating the use of silicone grease on electrical contacts connectors etc thought it may be of some interest.

Contamination From Silicone Based Lubricants:

Silicone based cleaners/lubricants should not be used where electrical contacts and other electrical components are used. Silicone will react with plastics and atmospheric contamination to form insulating films and silicone carbide compounds. Over time, silicone will react with plastics, softening them, thereby breaking down the integrity of the component (switch, relay, etc.).

Found this information while looking for something else as I have seen a couple of post advocating the use of silicone grease on electrical contacts connectors etc thought it may be of some interest.

Contamination From Silicone Based Lubricants:

Silicone based cleaners/lubricants should not be used where electrical contacts and other electrical components are used. Silicone will react with plastics and atmospheric contamination to form insulating films and silicone carbide compounds. Over time, silicone will react with plastics, softening them, thereby breaking down the integrity of the component (switch, relay, etc.).

Can you please cite where the quote is from?

Can you please cite where the quote is from?

This is a good question.

I found myself looking up grease compatibilities recently in a quite different context, and silicone based greases were recommended for use on plastics.

This is a good question.

I found myself looking up grease compatibilities recently in a quite different context, and silicone based greases were recommended for use on plastics.

Being an ex heating engineer we us silicone grease on plastic components all the time many plastic boiler parts are joined with grease and o ring I have never heard of it's incompatibility with plastic

^^^

Might have been worth adding that in the OP, and saying you were putting this up for discussion.

I read your post #1 as a Warning against using Silicone Grease on vehicles electrics.

I'm new to forums of any sort so winging it a bit I posted it as a response to advice I saw on here recommending the use of silicone grease on electrics

• Like 1

Are we talking bog standard silicone? Or specially designed electrial silicon grease as : 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Servisol-Silicone-Grease-Tube-lubricates/dp/B00DBBLA6S?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Which ive used on electrics for years.

Edited by FromTheDarkness