Front indicator mod a-la BMW....shall I, or is it gay?! :)

Dunno if anyone's ever noticed / paid attention / loved / hated the small orange LED's in the side of the front headlamp / indicator cluster on 5 Series cars......?

Looks like this - although the models I am thinking of don't have the 'strip' - just 4 or 5 small orange LEDS where the unit sweeps round the front wing...picture attached.

Aaanyway, as a serial 'fiddler' I kinda like this, and I was thinking of modifying the front indicator units on my VRS with something similar. I reckon that I can buy eight small, orange LED's and drill holes in the reflector surface of the indicator units, fix them in from behind, wire them into the sidelights and have something looking broadly the same.

I've badly modified a picture and attached it too, which sort of looks like the idea I have in mind.

Have a look, have a think, let us know. Good idea or pointlessly gay? Tell me! :D

Cheers...

post-65108-0-83715200-1460766898_thumb.jpg

post-65108-0-90296600-1460767084_thumb.jpg

Ehmmm...

Think id need to see a real sample lit up.

also.. if anything, getting rid if the orange is probably more my idea of progress..

sorry gay..........

nice to see new fiddling mods as i am into that. But not this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew you wouldnt be able to stay away very long :D

Got a non skoda project thread started yet???

;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's also illegal to do so, unless you want traffic cops and the such I'd recommend not to do it.

1) It's highly stupid to even think of that concept as being acceptable....
2) Indicators must remain off (unless indicating)
3) It is even Legal? - I'd highly doubt as it would also be an MOT fail not to mention the Police will have a field day with you along with the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

4) If you had an accident and they found the fault to do with your indicators being modded, you wouldn't be covered and if someone died you be prosicuted to the highest level.
5) Most people would see the indicator on and would assume you are turning, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW

Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles (except trailers).

DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.

You may have already seen DRLs out on the road - many manufacturers such as Audi have fitted them to new models. They can usually be found just below the car's main headlights, and normally switch on with the vehicle ignition and off when the vehicle sidelights are turned on.

Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

All vehicles used on the roads in the UK must comply with the Road
Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (Statutory instrument 1989
No. 1796).  These Regulations do not mandate the fitment of Daytime
running lights on vehicles.  Furthermore, the lighting regulations contain
no requirements for optionally retro-fitted DRL.  Therefore there are no
detailed legal requirements on the placement of optionally fitted DRL in
the UK.  If DRL are retro-fitted they must comply with the general
requirements of the lighting regulations including that they should not be
used so as to cause dazzle or discomfort to other road users.  A small
number of older vehicles are required to be fitted with dim-dip devices or
as an alternative “running lamps” but that is unlikely to be the case for
a vehicle registered in 2011.

The figures quoted for placement (a height between 250 mm and 1500mm,
distance between the inner edges of the two lamps of at least 600mm)
appear to be based on those specified in the UNECE Regulation on lighting
installation, UNECE Regulation 48.

These requirements are compulsory for vehicle manufacturers wishing to
obtain EC type approval for their vehicles and can be considered as
helpful guidelines for those wishing to optionally retro fit DRL to ensure
they are effective.

Currently DRLs are not inspected as part of the MOT and retro-fitting DRL
will not result in a test failure regardless of their placement.  If
future changes to the MOT scheme bring DRL within the scope, consideration
will need to be given as to how to treat retro-fitted DRL.

Edited by DeanVRS20VT

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC you can have additional amber running lights provided the standard white sidelights are retained as the primary units in their original position. Like the Discovery, 5 series, V40 Volvos and alot of HGVs, providing they only illumate with the sidelights not independently of them. This is assuming conventional bulbs with a maximum output of 5w. In terms of getting an MOT. Having amber DRLS is absolutely illegal. Having additional side markers is fine.