Have skoda reduced the Front brake disc size on new VRS's?

Annoying but I shouldn't be overly concerned. The non PP GTI, GTD and GTE (that's 204ps and weighs circa 1600kg) all have 312's and they are more than adequate.

Brakes on my GTD are superb....not vRS 340mm rotor good of course but they stop the car on a sixpence every time.

• Like 1

Calipers and discs are completely different, the smaller set up are the same as a golf Gti so obviously up to the job (no safety concerns at all), think my point is that this is a significant down grade of a major component that I wasn't made aware of when I ordered the car, also if it just affects the tdi and not the tsi why is this so? Also these don't look anywhere near as good behind the 19's lol.

Edited by VRS1878
  • Like 1

Not seen any tsi pics of recent builds, 230 deffo has the 340 set up but think they were all built late 2015 or early 2016. My dealer still has an unregistered miss-build in their showroom with no roof bars or Sat nav and it was there when I ordered my car in early Feb.

That's the smaller setup I think??

Well having squinted at all the picture I still don't know...you may be right!

Mine are the 19" rims, so hard to tell. I may go and measure them now - you have me curious...

They are 340's you can tell by the caliper, the carrier is straight instead of curved on the smaller set up.

Then I am going to take your word for it rather than roll around on the driveway in the dark with a tape measure...the missus already thinks I am certifiable so I don't want to give her more evidence...

• Like 3

Deffo their the bigger ones

Ok!

So in NZ at least it seems the TSI hasn't been downgraded for MY2016 then. Assume it is the same for other regions.

I presume they're still capable of stopping a car from 140mph within safe margins...

Well yeah - if they are the ones from the Golf GTI I am sure they are still more than capable!

Don't get me wrong, if mine turned up with different spec from previous without notification I would want answers, however whether it is such a bad thing is not as clear cut as it first seems.

If you have ever lifted one of those 340mm disks you will see why!!  they are notoriously heavy. That is a huge increase in weight from the 312s as the 340s are wider as well as larger diameter (30mm as opposed to 25mm) and it is unsprung weight too. That is a lot of rotating mass to get turning, to stop and for the suspension to cope with.

It has been done to death in forums on the golf but in general people found the 312s better in some respects and just upgraded the caliper (google NQSBBK). That was for track machines too. My experience is similar.

The 340 setup (basically the old Golf R32 setup) is a good setup and has its place but it is very heavy. Some of the newer 370/380mm disks are lighter than those 340s by some margin.

What I am saying is if you have got 312s and not been told, go and complain as I think it is something they should not get away with, but don't be in too much of a hurry to change them back if offered.

• Like 1