Have skoda reduced the Front brake disc size on new VRS's?

Very good point that above, I'm not about to make a massive song and dance about it but I believe we should have been told about such a significant change to the spec of the car, also the stories I was hearing from the dealer regarding miss-builds I just want to make 100% sure they are correct.

312 mm is what is delivered with the 1.8 TSI. Even though the TDI vRS is a bit more heavy, It should be good enough, by large.

I was about to mention the same as Huskoda.

One positive point is you can install 16" winter wheels... :notme:

I've got a 6 week old TDI vRS. Just been out to the car and looked and it has the smaller calliper (evident by the shape of the carrier).

I've also checked the disc part numer (which just happened to be visible through the wheel!). It's 1K0615301AA, which translates to a 312 x 25 mm disc. (https://tps.trade/part/braking/brake-disc/1K0615301AA).

They list the 345 x 30 mm disc as 1K0615301M (https://tps.trade/part/braking/brake-disc/1K0615301M).

Just spoken to the dealer, they aren't aware of any changes and he seemed quite concerned about it so is going to look into it and get back to me later so will keep updated.

Which dealer you call I'm waiting for Milton Keynes to come back to me

• Like 1

Just had a look on the system (we run ETOS which is the same as ETKA) using a 2016 TDi reg that I found on here and that lists the disc size as 312mm.

Can anyone give me a 2016 reg and I can check the system?

Just got of the phone to my dealer.. They are not aware of any change on the size.. But they did say that in the small print of the broacher that Skoda reserve the right to change specification where that's and up grade or down grade with out prior notice.. Then he went on to say if the brakes have been down graded then they will be fit for purpose.. But as you said that's beyond the point.. there seems to be a miss match i've seen 16 plates with 340's man and DSG platforms and some with 312

Just had my dealer get back to me, they were not aware of any changes and it would appear it is early 2016 tdi's that now have the 312mm set up, my car has been checked on the system and is showing up 312's so is correctly built. They were however in full agreement that this is poor on Skoda's part and I had every right to be annoyed about it so they will contact Skoda customer service on my behalf for a reason as to why they have been changed. The salesman was clutching at straws but said it could be anything from cost cutting, weight saving to hit emmisions to part supply issues. He also was in total agreement that the car looks nowhere near as good as it does with 340's on!!!

Just trawled through the past five Octy brochures, from July 14 to April 16, and nowhere does it mention the size of brake discs in any specification. Nor does it mention brake disc size on the Skoda website, nor anywhere in the online car configurator. Has anyone seen it in any of Skoda's material other than in the spares lists? Has anyone got the size of the brake discs included in the specification of their new car order/contract with their dealer?

(The only reference to brake disc specification is in the online configurator - for the 1.8 L&K and all vRS models, in the configurator summary, it shows their rear discs are "Geomet D". This is a coating primarily designed to reduce corrosion and maintain the disc's appearance. Lesser models don't show this.)

While the newer discs may be smaller, if they do the same job within the the same safety parameters, then where's the downgrade? Where's any reason to get annoyed, apart from losing out in a willy-waving competition with a bigger-disc'd model?

Anyone who thinks they have a case of misrepresentation, and/or that they can demand that larger discs are fitted, then I wish them luck.

• Like 1

I think the Tsi should have the bigger brakes as there always pulling to fill up at the Pit Stop where as us Tdi boys can drive for hundreds of miles before we fill up so we only need little brakes   :notme:

No, we just need thicker pads!

I think the Tsi should have the bigger brakes as there always pulling to fill up at the Pit Stop where as us Tdi boys can drive for hundreds of miles before we fill up so we only need little brakes   :notme:

Lol, so true. Well almost, I've seen the thread about the vRS TDI economy suspecting its not quite as good as my Fabia mk1 vRS ?

Also having been on Silverstone track recently (driving a mates something a bit quicker than even a 230 - by over 150hp lol), even then was still far tricker stuff than that running rings around it, in that context I don't think big brakes are really the biggest concern to be honest.

Mostly Lotus and Porsche's with us only worrying a few smaller things like 928i, MX5 etc. It does kind of put things into perspective somewhat lol and tend to ground you somewhat.

I'm guessing there won't be many planning to do tracks here in their TDI's to make this a big issue right ?

I could perhaps see me doing a track in the 220 sometime in future just for a bit of fun, but only if in the future I go down the "R" spec route perhaps, I don't want to get totally humiliated !