Daytime running lights

The daytime running lights and the side lights use the same LED array, the only difference is that when acting as DRL's they illuminate brighter than they do as side lights.

What you're probably seeing on the third click is the side lights not the DRL's (which is backed up by the fact that you get a "lights-on" warning when you turn the ignition off and try to leave the car).

Ask the dealer why your DRL's aren't working when you take it in for the service and let us know what they say/do.

I have attached some pics which (hopefully) show what your lights should be doing.

attachicon.gifDRL 001.jpg  Both daylight running lights on

attachicon.gifDRL 002.jpg  Both side lights on

attachicon.gifDRL 003.jpg  Drivers side DRL, passenger side DRL dimmed for indicator

Hey Yetikent,

Can you please confirm if the DRLs are the straight strip of lights below the actual headlights themselves? More dramas. Volkswagen have called to tell me I do t have DrLs on my 2015 Fabia........ Looking at your pictures, if the DRLs are the straight strip of lights below the headlights then I have these but only when I turn on the park lights.....

Skodafabiaperth,

Yes the straight strip of lights below the headlights (level with the indicators) are the DRL's.

They double up as the park lights but when operating as DRL's they are much brighter, dimmimng either when an indicator is turned on or when the lights are turned on.

As a matter of interest what happens if you push the CAR button on your radio, then touch the SETUP option at the bottom of the screen, then touch LIGHTS.

Here are the options that I get:

Lights

Light Assistance

Daytime Running Lights (tickbox)

Convenience Turn Signal (tickbox)

Interior Lighting

Instrument/Switch Lighting (slider)

Coming/Leaving Home Function

Coming Home Function (rotating choice)

Leaving Home Function (rotating choice)

If you do not have the Daytime Running Lights option then it looks as though your dealer needs to figure out how to enable this option or you need to find someone local with VCDS who should be able to enable it for you.

Best of luck.

Neil.

Edited by fabikent
  • Like 1

How strange, I thought there were two types of headlights. The standard lights on the s and se and then the darker lights that came on the colour/monte/SEL. And i thought all darker headlights had the DRL's. So it seems the OP has the darker lights with the led's built in but they aren't used for DRL's

• Like 1

@Neil,

Thanks for quick reply. I have tried before to turn the lights on by the settings on the radio but I do not have the DRL options.

I have got the same lights as what your car has except any function to turn these into DRLs. When the Skoda service department hooked it up to the computer they could turn the DRLs off but there was no option to turn them on..... So frustrating,

I'd take it back to the dealer but they are 3500km away!

I actually found the original paper that would have sat in the car as the car was sitting in the yard being sold and it confirms it has DRL. Unfortunately it does not have any ViN details only the price, what extras it comes with etc.

@Neil,

Thanks for quick reply. I have tried before to turn the lights on by the settings on the radio but I do not have the DRL options.

I have got the same lights as what your car has except any function to turn these into DRLs. When the Skoda service department hooked it up to the computer they could turn the DRLs off but there was no option to turn them on..... So frustrating,

I'd take it back to the dealer but they are 3500km away!

I actually found the original paper that would have sat in the car as the car was sitting in the yard being sold and it confirms it has DRL. Unfortunately it does not have any ViN details only the price, what extras it comes with etc.

"Dealer is 3500km away". Can understand your reluctance to just 'pop back'. That's like me driving from home to southern Morocco for a service! Just crazy. Rather brings home just how vast is Australia...and how, relatively, small the UK is.

Staggered.

If the dealer is that far away and cannot sort it out with the official Skoda dealer software then I would definitely consider searching the web for a Skoda/VW/Audi owner in or around Perth with access to VCDS.

They should be able to enable the DRL function which should make the option to turn on/off the DRL's appear on your infotainment system.

Neil.

• Like 1

After sending a picture of my park lights on, plus the paperwork that came with the car saying it had DRLs, I finally got an email back from Skoda Head Office Australia confirming the car does have these factory installed and they will now contact the only Skoda dealer for 2000km and tell them to fix it.

I'm not holding my breath!

• Like 1

It is Perth Australia.

A main dealership technician is all the visit you should need to make, and there should be 'no charge'.

Yes indeed, it is Australia, but that is still a long way. Had the OP lived in Perth in the Kingdom of Queen Nicola then the dealer would have been in central Morocco, or somewhere equally far away. Yes, I know - but it's Pedantry Friday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Kingdom if a Queen reigns. So Madge or Nicola it is still HRH.

"A country, territory or state ruled by a king or queen". Oxford Dictionary. Standard definition.

So....."...in the Kingdom of Queen Nicola".

That will be the United Kingdom then, as Scotland never became Independent.

Her Madge is our Queen, a Windsor, then her heir will get the job when she departs. 

We have no choice on that.

Nicola needs voted in and that means she can be punted.   Sadly not the case with the Windsors, or what ever surname they choose.

The SNP struggles to have control over 'The Kingdom of Fife'.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 4 weeks later...

If the dealer is that far away and cannot sort it out with the official Skoda dealer software then I would definitely consider searching the web for a Skoda/VW/Audi owner in or around Perth with access to VCDS.

They should be able to enable the DRL function which should make the option to turn on/off the DRL's appear on your infotainment system.

Neil.

Volkswagen have organised the dealer to have another look in Friday. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Sooo, was booked into drop my car off for the day to get these dreaded DRL's sorted. The same guy who told me I don't have DRL's when the car was serviced last time had another look again, and told me he was sure my car didn't have them. He then compared them to another Skoda in the car park that had the DRLs on the fog lights.

I insisted that the park lights were the DRLs, he took it into the garage and spent around ten minutes with his staff, who then got on the phone to Skoda, where they proceeded to tell them they needed to do a initial factory reset, and suddenly my DRLs are working, and I can now turn them on and off via the info screen in the car!

It turns out that when the cars are delivered new, the dealership needs to set the software to Australian settings and this never happened.

it doesn't help that the only Skoda dealership in Perth is actually a Jaguar service centre and it appears that they don't do a huge amount of work on Skoda!

Finally all sorted and very happy. The best part was that Skoda Australia called me in the afternoon to apologise and have given me $200 off my next service with them!

I'd post a picture of my new bright DRLs but I don't know how to upload images here.

Thanks for all your help!

Side lights or Position lights are not 'parking lights'. 

'Parking lights' can not be at the brightness of Daytime or Daylight running lights, just Sidelight brightness.

Parking lights are illuminated by switching off the engine, putting the indicator stalk down and exiting the car.

One side light to the front, one to the rear and one registration bulb are illuminated.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

But on the Fabia III the same physical unit is used for daylight running light, side lights (Positional lights) and parking lights.

I'm interested in "registration bulb". By that do you mean one of the two bulbs that are used to illuminate the rear number plate?

On the Fabia III the bulbs that illuminate the rear number plate are linked to the ignition and will not illuminate (on either side) when the parking lights are activated.

I've just tried it on mine so I knew it to be the truth.

Have you tried it on yours?

Edited by fabikent

I do not have a Mk3 Fabia. So its changed from the MK2 which had only the left or right number plate bulb illuminate depending on which side of tail light was on as the Parking Light.

On a Mk2 Fabia vRS the same front physical unit is the DRL, then the Side light but less bright, and the Parking light at Sidelight brightness.

By Construction and use & EU Legislation DRL's must dim when Sidelights / headlights are illuminated.

Edited by Offski

That sounds about the same as the Fabia III regarding the DRL's.

Does the Mk2 DRL (with no other lights on) dim to sidelight brightness on the side that the indicator is active or is it just the close proximity of the indicator lamp on the Mk3 that has required this?

I've noticed this on other cars but they all appear to be the ones that have DRL's in the main headlamp cluster and are therefore typically close to the indicators.

Edited by fabikent

One number plate illumination light getting switched on when selecting parking lights, I've never noticed that with any cars, though trouble is, I've only ever noticed cars parked with parking lights on "by mistake" I think, ie LHS lights on when parked "correctly" at kerb!

Now I'll need to go and do some research!!

I love the dimming of the DRLs on the Fabia as the turn signals are activated. It's such a simple thing but cars without it are missing out. Next time you see a current generation Nissan QASHQAI or X-Trail with its DRLs and turn signals on, you'll see that it's quite difficult to spot the tiny turn signal as their DRLs don't dim.

On another note... Does anyone else find it odd that the dials aren't lit when sidelights are on? Only the needles are in my Monte. I only use sidelights when pulled up, or through the Mersey tunnel where the bylaw was always 'no headlights' (doesn't seem to be enforced any more).