Windows 10 discussion and advice

@Lee

Upgraded my gaming rig the other night from Win7 Pro, had a whole host of problems. Fixed by doing a 'windows reset'  - essentially a clean install. Much better now, but quite annoying regardless. Hoping I see some benefit, only one so far is the teeny space the system takes up on the SSD! Quite impressed how smaller footprint it has from the Win7 install.

16 hours ago, gadgetman said:

I wonder if that's my blue screen issue on the little note pad? 

Might try removing it later 

MS have a pdf reader in the store called ....wait for it....Reader.

Edge is the default reader but apparently it is pish.

Reader seems fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aspman- let me correct that -it's not EDGE -IT'S W10 . ( that's pish).

• 3 weeks later...

Got it running on two portables and two desktops (Have retained 7 and 8.1 in a Dual boot facility with the intent of keeping a rolling succession going).

Its OK, once you remove the mail program, Cortana, Edge  (Using Powershell) and all the other "Crap/ bloatware" -  beware, if you remove the "Shop" icon, reinstalling removed W10 apps becomes difficult, even with Powershell.

Eventually managed to get Outlook  2010 operating on all machines (Bar one of the portables) using Exchange.

Had problems on one machine with subsequent updates - one update (Anniversary) tried to download and install 40 times  (In background) before it finally succeeded (Might explain recent high data usage on ISP account) - needless to say there were no helpful user messages conveyed to my desktop whilst all this was going on - only discovered when Update History was examined over another issue.

Also, there seems to be an issue on my Lynx tablet with dropping Wi-fi/Bluetooth connections - not sure whether that's W10 and/or the cheapo hardware, though its worthy of note that the Windows 10 Bluetooth drivers supplied with W10 are dated 2006 ! - obviously, the bookmark is stuck on the page entitled VAG Tips and Tricks.

Oh, and W10 doesn't seem to like the text handling software on this site ?????

I have been experimenting with one of these "Speed-up" programs to tweek settings so that the W10 operates sans delay at all times - good results - found that, as usual, a month after a fresh  installation, everything started slowing down.

Just been advised today that the Lynx tablet will be receiving the "Creators' (Or is that " 's" ?) Update, so I'm switching that off until next month and relying on the Playbook - the update is reported as being huge and can't be deferred or stopped and, due to other MS "Gifts" this month, I'm already well on the way to exceeding my data allowance. Nice of MS to allow the user to decide when its convenient to download - Book mark stuck on the page headed United Airlines ?

Being a CC post, I can't, of course, let the opportunity pass, without mentioning that other inspiration of the IT revolution - BT, whos's Ombudsman has just contacted to me , a month and a half after registering with them, to progress my  data usage complaint 's from September last year. Funny old quasi-legal process, where BT states the complainant's case for them (Without an input from me) and foward's it to their own retained Ombudsman, who, when asked whether I can add to (And correct) the very brief (And possibly misleading) statement of MY CASE by BT, tells me that they have a "House style" that restricts text to 2000 characters - you couldn't make it up, could you ?

Nick

Edited by john999boy

11 hours ago, Clunkclick said:

Got it running on two portables and two desktops (Have retained 7 and 8.1 in a Dual boot facility with the intent of keeping a rolling succession going).

Its OK, once you remove the mail program, Cortana, Edge  (Using Powershell) and all the other "Crap/ bloatware" -  beware, if you remove the "Shop" icon, reinstalling removed W10 apps becomes difficult, even with Powershell.

Eventually managed to get Outlook  2010 operating on all machines (Bar one of the portables) using Exchange.

Had problems on one machine with subsequent updates - one update (Anniversary) tried to download and install 40 times  (In background) before it finally succeeded (Might explain recent high data usage on ISP account) - needless to say there were no helpful user messages conveyed to my desktop whilst all this was going on - only discovered when Update History was examined over another issue.

Also, there seems to be an issue on my Lynx tablet with dropping Wi-fi/Bluetooth connections - not sure whether that's W10 and/or the cheapo hardware, though its worthy of note that the Windows 10 Bluetooth drivers supplied with W10 are dated 2006 ! - obviously, the bookmark is stuck on the page entitled VAG Tips and Tricks.

Oh, and W10 doesn't seem to like the text handling software on this site ?????

I have been experimenting with one of these "Speed-up" programs to tweek settings so that the W10 operates sans delay at all times - good results - found that, as usual, a month after a fresh  installation, everything started slowing down.

Just been advised today that the Lynx tablet will be receiving the "Creators' (Or is that " 's" ?) Update, so I'm switching that off until next month and relying on the Playbook - the update is reported as being huge and can't be deferred or stopped and, due to other MS "Gifts" this month, I'm already well on the way to exceeding my data allowance. Nice of MS to allow the user to decide when its convenient to download - Book mark stuck on the page headed United Airlines ?

Oh, here we go again............again.

"Nurse! Nurse! The old boy in room 7 hasn't taken his meds again!"

It's all been explained before, by several people, Nick, and not just me. If it's not how you want to the world to run, ditch all the windows kit (really 4 for just one person? And you say pensioners have no money.) and move over to Macs. You won't be able to screw around with them like you keep doing with Windows (the above post does somewhat blows your claim of being an "ordinary user" out of the water, {screwing around, removing bits of an operating system with PowerShell, from an article your read on the internet} as does you having "show all hidden files, including system ones" ticked on your desktop settings. Stuff is kept hidden from people like you to stop you from screwing around, breaking it, and then blaming everyone else for it going wrong.)

Being a CC post, I can't, of course, let the opportunity pass, without mentioning that other inspiration of the IT revolution - BT, whos's Ombudsman has just contacted to me , a month and a half after registering with them, to progress my  data usage complaint 's from September last year. Funny old quasi-legal process, where BT states the complainant's case for them (Without an input from me) and foward's it to their own retained Ombudsman, who, when asked whether I can add to (And correct) the very brief (And possibly misleading) statement of MY CASE by BT, tells me that they have a "House style" that restricts text to 2000 characters - you couldn't make it up, could you ?

Nick

Edited 9 hours ago by john999boy

Yeah, the 2000 character limit is imposed so that you have to stick to the facts, instead of the other stuff you'd like dribble on about. It keeps the complaint concise and relevant.

Would be interesting to see what's on the cutting room floor.

Just out of interest, and feel free to go off on one of your random tangents: when was the last time you made a car-related post on Briskoda? (And I'm not thinking about the VW "camper van" one, as that's not a real car.)

Edited by RainbowFire

Anyone had problems with 5.1 sound since upgrading to Windows 10, and managed to resolve it? Using a Asus Maximus Formula ROG mainboard with onboard sound chip (and the i7 processor based sound as well). Neither work as 5.1

Not something I've heard of. Best guess would be a driver issue. I'd check Asus' site to see if there is an updated sound driver for the board. Even a slightly newer one for Win7 might work.

9 hours ago, RainbowFire said:

Oh, here we go again............again.

"Nurse! Nurse! The old boy in room 7 hasn't taken his meds again!"

It's all been explained before, by several people, Nick, and not just me. If it's not how you want to the world to run, ditch all the windows kit (really 4 for just one person? And you say pensioners have no money.) and move over to Macs. You won't be able to screw around with them like you keep doing with Windows (the above post does somewhat blows your claim of being an "ordinary user" out of the water, {screwing around, removing bits of an operating system with PowerShell, from an article your read on the internet} as does you having "show all hidden files, including system ones" ticked on your desktop settings. Stuff is kept hidden from people like you to stop you from screwing around, breaking it, and then blaming everyone else for it going wrong.)

Yeah, the 2000 character limit is imposed so that you have to stick to the facts, instead of the other stuff you'd like dribble on about. It keeps the complaint concise and relevant.

Would be interesting to see what's on the cutting room floor.

Just out of interest, and feel free to go off on one of your random tangents: when was the last time you made a car-related post on Briskoda? (And I'm not thinking about the VW "camper van" one, as that's not a real car.)

As I have said before, I'm not much of a believer in the total effectiveness of the current marketing mantra, that of running away from a provider, at the first sign of trouble (And this is the first problem I have had with Infinity in six years), when you encounter an occasional blip in service provision. There are many more customers than ISPs, so power still rests with the providers (Why do you think BT bought out Plusnet ?) and, in these circumstances, if all customers do that, you end up with a commercially sponsored "Race-to-the-bottom" (sic) in service standards (i.e. the complete opposite result from that suggested by the current marketing mantra), with providers thinking they can get away with low standards because the consumer has only come to you because they vacated an arrangement with a provider who had lower standards than you. And then before you know it, your resenting customer suggestions and complaints leading to eventual "Barrel- bombing" of any customer that complains - classic bureaucractic thinking at work, only the difference between the two sides now is commercial rather than religious or tribal.

As a assembler of home computer systems for the last 20 years and with the increased pace in the advance of technology in computer bits, its almost envitable that you acquire multiple machines as part of  the system roll-over relegation leapfrog process.  Ask anybody on here that's being doing this. Originally, there was one desktop, then there was a laptop + desktop, after 8 years the desktop was off the mark in terms performance and design (Having been designed for XP) and was at the time of relegation running Windows 7 (when Windows 8.1 was current). So that was replaced. After 13 years the XP  laptop was replaced because it had multiple repairs by that stage and was struggling dealing with modern graphic intensive internet and Windows 7. Surprisingly, both relegated systems continue to operate until today and whilst there is no role for the old laptop, the old desktop (Or at least the mainboard, + processor + memory + storage was stuffed into an old Case) and allocated the media server role (Cheaper  (and more capable)) than buying a new smart TV with built-in internet capability. And, contrary to any normal expectations its currently running W10 !. In the same vein the Windows Lynx was bought to replace the 6 year old Blackberry Playbook which was again struggling with modern internet graphics, had a broken  mini usb power connector and the battery, which at that stage was approaching 1,000 re-charge cycles, was expected to expire. As of today, its now done 1,176 re-charge cycles and, even well-discharged, the voltage remains above the critical minimum for start-up.

As to VW buses, I just can't see the attraction:-

N

Nick, companies don't care if you're upset. If you're that upset, you leave. 

It's why insurers, as an example, price renewals higher than the market average for risk groups they don't want to cover. Other companies like telecoms only care about the big spenders. Spend big and 'retentions' will offer you sweet deals to stay. If not 'sorry there's nothing we can do. Do you want to leave now?' 

As an example many years ago both mine and the wife's Tmobile contracts were up. Retentions, and she tried 3 times over various days, simply offered to disconnect her there and then. Because I spent quite a bit, I was offered free handsets and a better bundle than any new customer could get for 1/3 of what I was paying! 

Capitalism is king. Unhappy customers are reminded where the door is. There's millions more happy customers out there. You won't be missed. 

Anyway this is about windows 10 so anything unrelated after this post will be removed. 

Edited by gadgetman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest FurryFriend

Having given Windows 10 over a years use on my laptop, I have now reverted to Windows 8.1.  I think 12 months is a fair trial period. 

The biggest issue is the constant nag screens, endless updates and immense bloatware within the o/s that I'd never use. The difference in speed between the two programmes is incredible. Really incredible. W8 is SO much faster. I'm back to running at a good speed again.

What's often overlooked is that W10pro needs a LOT of resources in terms of memory, processor speed etc etc, and although when installing, the system will accept that there's enough space for the upgrade, the result on my laptop is slow and sluggish. 

So really the 2 questions to ask are.

1. is your laptop really able and powerful enough to run W10 effectively, and 

2. Do you REALLY NEED a full blown business  orientated operating system, most of which you'll never use, but which sucks resources from your system making it run as though you've dumped your laptop in treacle.......... and I think that gets missed.

Anyway, from an ex W10pro user......My next purchase will be an abacus!! Fed up with Apple AND Windows.

There's got to be  big opportunity for some clever IT graduates out there to develop  more friendly/more modern, less intrusive operating systems . 

Bill Gates has let the monkeys out to run the asylum. It's not working. 

Edited by FurryFriend

30 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

There's got to be  big opportunity for some clever IT graduates out there to develop  more friendly/more modern, less intrusive operating systems . 

Ubuntu?

Had fun installing update to 32gb Tablet - had to uninstall office to make room - it needed  8Gb free and didn't offer the option of downloading it to another attached drive. Took ages as well . 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest FurryFriend

After a long trial of 12 months plus, I have dumped W10pro, and reverted to Windows 8.1pro.

I personally think that W10 is not worth upgrading to unless you absolutely must have every single bell and whistle within the programme. 

For normal home use it has given me more headaches than any other Windows programme. 

My Microsoft Flight Sim X flatly refused  to have anything to do with it, and as I enjoy that, that was the final straw. 

Now back to 8.1 and absolutely everything is running faster and smoother again. 

IMO, since Bill Gates left Microsoft has just gone to pot. 

Edited by FurryFriend

18 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

My Microsoft Flight Sim X flatly refused  to have anything to do with it, and as I enjoy that, that was the final straw. 

Strange - I also enjoy FSX, and regularly play (including VATSIM) on W10 with no problems whatsoever. When you installed W10, did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

I personally prefer Windows 10 over Windows 7, and certainly over Windows 8.1. Horses for courses though!

Guest FurryFriend

It was a totally clean install, and from that point my genuine Microsoft Flight Sim X just wouldn't load and run at all. 

No problem with 8.1 pro. 

• 1 month later...

Advance Warning.

If you have a stable Windows 10 installation be very wary of installing the latest update (Fall Creators Update), it can causes some issues with device drivers.

You should therefore before downloading & installing it, download all of the latest drivers for graphics card, sound cards, network adaptors, etc, as a precaution, as I have found there can be issues with the update corrupting some of the drivers, I had to download the latest Nvidia drivers and reinstall the Soundblaster soundcard to get them working correctly again.

Software as far as I'm aware is generally NOT affected by the update, at least I haven't found any issues with any games or MSO16 Pro, however I did find that Chrome needed a reinstallation (no loss of any settings etc).

HTH.

Guest FurryFriend

On 8th September I posted :

Microsoft are coming in for a huge amount of stick for making Windows 10 Home users install ALL updates automatically, whether the user wishes to have them or not. 

You cannot refuse them. 

BEWARE OF THE Windows 10 Home Edition  'CREATOR' UPDATE. There is a major problem with it, and it's causing issues. As yet there is NO FIX. 

Well several weeks on, I finally got my wife's brand new laptop to run properly again, after trying everything in the book since it corrupted no fewer than 8 times trying to automatically install this EVIL update. 

Advice is the same... Don't download it if you don't need  it. 

That's IF you are able to block it. 

Apple for us next time. Completely and absolutely fed up with Microsoft using CUSTOMERS computers  as test beds for their obviously inept software writers, and putting out updates before they are fit for purpose. 

I've got two different tablets (WinBook and Chuwi) both on the Windows 10 Fast Track so they're running the latest beta releases of W10 and I've never had any problems with either of them.

Guest FurryFriend

I have, this afternoon, logged in to my desktop pc. Last on it yesterday, without any issues. 

Trying to download the latest update, Windows 10, version 1709, the Fall Creators update, and SO FAR it's taken 1½ hours. One and a half HOURS. WTF. I didn't even want the wretched update. No doubt it will screw up my pc....... Again. 

This on a 3.60 Ghz AMD A10-7860k Radeon 4 core processor with 16mb RAM. On a BT fibre connection, which is working just fine. 

Edit.....  Finally completed the download......  3 HOURS. Ludicrous. 

Off to the Metro Centre this week for an iMac. No wonder firms like GE and Walmart ( now buying 100,000 Apple computers) have pulled the plug on Microsoft. 

I want to USE my PC....  not be a constant test bed for their bug ridden systems. 

Edited by FurryFriend

• 5 months later...

First- on this update- you will find that update times are programmable, as are restart times. =settings/system/about -"update windows" - then update -change active hours. BUT, I've found that Windows update to 1709 Windows not allow for RESTARTS. Every time I've noticed PC stopping, I've done a restart. BUT since I've moved to a SSD DRIVE, I've fewer problems with stalls. TBH- since the upgrade to a Kingston SSD and adding 4 gb RAM to get 8GB, I've done a re install from W7 TO 1709 in less than 1.5 hours on an

AMD A4- 4000 WITH RADEON HD GRAPHICS , 3000MHZ .Internet= 30MB  plusnet on WIFI .Only problem I've had is with Realtek driver updates. But thishas been an old problem with these since W7( WHICH ALLOWED YOU TO HIDE THEE).

• 1 month later...

Rather than creating a separate thread I'm having problems, who's not with Windows 10?

Apart from constant updates making the system run slow the latest update has disabled my ability to control the screen brightness, and it's only gone and left it on the brightest setting, my eyes are bulging I think I need shades to see the screen properly now.

Trying to find or update the display drivers have drawn a blank, it's either or both Intel and HP won't or don't want to support a laptop that has been upgraded to Win10 with any drivers for the display adaptor, Microsoft are no help, nothing found there.

I've took the latest update off but it's not solved anything, it updated again anyway with something else.

So we are thinking of rolling it back to whatever it was before Win 7 I think or should I do a fresh install of what I have, it's peeing me off big time now?