Squealing noise when first pulling away

So, my '11 plate Octy VRS (petrol, manual) has develoepd a new squealing noise over the past few weeks.

When I first reverse out of my drive in the morning all is fine (reverse out, turning to the right), when I engage first, and start to pull away, (turning slightly to the left) there is this momentary squeal. I noticed that today also at the end of the street it did it again just pulling out. Once the car has been driven even a short while (a few minutes) no more sqeal. Haven't noticed it yet leaving work (after it's been sitting a few hours) but will check that out today

Having doen some searching and reviewing posts and topics in here......I'm sadly beginning to wonder if it's clutch (ie expensive) related........what are your thoughts/experiences?

The annoying thing is the car was just in for a 58K service yesterday, and that bit highlighted to them seem to be the bit they have done nothing about nor reported. Even though I dropped it off the night before so that they could check out that first start in the morning squeal!! They did make the a/c quieter with an aircon service and alluded to the squeal being related to that...........clearly not!

Thoughts??

have you ever had the aux belt replaced? could be at the end of its life and needs renewing. cheaper than changing a clutch anyway

No I haven't,  and agreed it may be cheaper than changing a clutch...... but I'm not convinced that it is that yet (having had cars in the past that definitely had the aux belts squealing)........but it is a good point, well made!!

That's the piglet objecting to being woken up!

+1 for auxiliary belt, give it a wash with water from a garden hose while the engine is running.

A cold clutch could squeal if it was contaminated with oil/grease/coolant etc.

You'd know if the clutch was worn down to the rivets, awful noise.

Following the service, where we agreed they'd do an aircon service (yeah, could've got the gas topped up more cheaply elsewhere) they suggested this is the problem:-

"I was just about to call you regarding a follow up call. I have spoke to my master technician, we carried out a road test in the morning and the only fault we found was the noise coming from the pulley at the compressor, as it mostly occurs in the morning, there is a possibility this might be the issue as there could be residue on the pulley from slight condensation in the air as it is cold during the night." 

So.....as the weather gets warmer....the problem should go away......right??

They also want to sting me for a new compressor......£700+.......passed on that....as the aircon is working nice and quietly now except for my early morning squeals.......

More votes for the aux belt huh.....hmmm, seems to be the cheapest next move and probably not a bad one......

Not sure on the specifics of this engine but the compressor pulley is usually connected to the aux belt? Some fresh rubber may be enough to stop squeaking if the pulley is a bit moist...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure on the specifics of this engine but the compressor pulley is usually connected to the aux belt? Some fresh rubber may be enough to stop squeaking if the pulley is a bit moist...

I queried the dealer on this and I have been advised that it is the pulley on the compressor that is the likely problem......and although the aux belt does driver it as you suspected, the aux belt was given a clean bill of health. So, they are plugging for the pulley - which comes as a unit on the compressor.....in fact to the extent that they were looking at dates to diagnose it where they could get the part in for, where I suspect the diagnosis would be change it and see if the squeal goes away (all fot £761.02!!).  I have asked them to try to diagnose the probelm while it is in getting some corrosion repaired on the tailgate (under warranty!!!) but without changing parts!!!  They seemed a little unhappy.......but I'm unhappy at £761.02 for something that may or may not be the problem!! 

Mine was doing it too and was diagnosed as dual mass flywheel in the end. Didn't get round to having it fixed as it self destructed shortly after. see my " it's dead" thread

I had the same noise on my 2011 Vrs . The noise was always from a cold start pulling away . I've had the Aux belt changed , the issue has now been resolved.

Just a thought out of left field, but I was reading of the problems with the central bolt on the compressor pulley coming loose.

I wondered if what you have is the very early stages of the bolt coming loose, thus causing the initial noise.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/397573-aircon-not-cold/?hl=%2Bcompressor+%2Bbolt#entry4611727

However, my vote would be change the aux belt.

Edited by pikpilot

• 5 weeks later...

My 2007 2.0 Tdi has had a slight metallic squeal when pulling away on slight right lock since new. Garage found no fault when checked under warranty, the non-franchise people who have serviced a variety of Audis, Skodas and our SEAT also could not find anything wrong. It hasn't got worse or better over the years and I reckon it is something to do with a harmonic resonance in the power steering sytem somewhere caused by something not quite right in the tolerance department of the peristaltic pump.

My remedy is to turn up the radio.

Interesting. If it was me, I'd go with a few low cost options first I could check or replace myself. E.g. Aux, belt, checking compressor bolt and so on. Then if they don't resolve your left with the nasties - clutch, clutch related , dual mass flywheel and so on.

• 2 months later...

OK, time to update this thread........  So, for a variety of reasons - including the dealer being supportive and insisting this would fix my problem, my local trusted garage not wanting to touch air con and not really recommending anyone local who would do it, holidays and being busy away on business, I went for it. The compressor with pulley attached was replaced. For 10 days.......problem solved........then a wee squeal. The a couple of weeks later....bigger squeal. Now, it happens regularly....but not daily like before..

So, got in touch with my Skoda dealer and highlighted the problem. Back in went the car, and I got a  courtesy car for a few days. Each morning back up to try to highlight the issue. Ironically, the car mostly behaved, except for one day I was out with one of the mechanics and it gave a little squeal which the mecahnic heard. I thought great.....someone else has heard the noise!!

So back to get my car and work out the course of action. Turns out it was a case of "oh that noise"........puzzled I enquired further........so apparently they fixed a different noise that I was unaware of (don't you just love it when they fix an expensive problem you didn't know you had......), and the plan is, they'd need the car back. .......they'd need to take the gear box out as they suspect it's the clutch now......and they'd need to work out exactly which component it is what's causing the problem. I commented that the diagnosis "sounds expensive"...the which the serviced guy agreed!! He then went on to say that they'd only seen this once before and on a VRS......but they never got to the bottom of that one either as when they explained their plan for diagnosis....that owner had made a similar comment to me....and they have never seen him since!!

Imagine!!!

Anyway......now wondering how a new compressor could temporarily fix a clutch probem!  Thoughts anyone?

My next plan of action is to get the aux belt replaced.......and see if that solves the problem!  Oh......and I think that is the last time that dealer sees my car - they'd done all the servicing up until now......but lets just say I am disappointed about how this was handled (told them as much) and I have little confidence in their ability to diagnose things now (at least before they empty my wallet...), plus there were some other comments that came from them through the whole experience that left me wondering WTF........  I think general servicing can be done by my friendly neighbourhood trusted local garage now!!

• Like 1

What about failing PCV valve? Haven't heard one like this myself but came across it on the Deutshce Auto Parts site showing a video of one failing.

Look at the video of the unit failing rather than the replacement of the part.

http://shopdap.com/replacement-diy-for-vw-2-0t-pcv-valve-06h103495ac/

You could try removing or lifting up the oil dip stick for your morning starts and see if it goes away. I was surprised how much the video sounds like a slipping drive belt or a failing pulley.

• 2 weeks later...

What about failing PCV valve? Haven't heard one like this myself but came across it on the Deutshce Auto Parts site showing a video of one failing.

Look at the video of the unit failing rather than the replacement of the part.

http://shopdap.com/replacement-diy-for-vw-2-0t-pcv-valve-06h103495ac/

You could try removing or lifting up the oil dip stick for your morning starts and see if it goes away. I was surprised how much the video sounds like a slipping drive belt or a failing pulley.

Thanks for putting this link up - no, this is not the problem I have.....thankfully!

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had my cam belt, water pump and aux belt changed.  I mentioned about a squeak when pulling away and it turned out to be the alternator pulley which they said was quite common.  Apparently it has a clutch of sorts (free wheels one way and drives the other way) mine had seized solid.  New pulley was £64 which I thought a bit pricey but the squeak has gone.

edit to say, I could make it squeak if I put it in 5th while doing about 30mph or slightly less.  That was the easiest way I could get it to make the noise so the mechanic could hear it as it didn't always do it when pulling away.

Edited by andy-fisher