No CD in vRS

To technical all this recording cd's onto sd cards ...... I will just stick to listening to the radio I think.

The wireless is indeed the simplest of them all.

On saying that, I'm not actually getting on too well with DAB, and cannot operate the one we have in the house at all.

It was so much easier when we knew the exact frequency.

Now it just seems to be random. Press search and hope!

• Like 2

Its pretty easy:

1. Insert SD card and right click it, format to FAT32.

2. Pop CD in, open Windows Media Player to 'rip' it to MP3 file format.

3. Check its set to MP3 format, chose a destination folder and start the 'ripping'.

4. Once complete, copy the MP3 files over to your SD card.

5. Slot it in the car, press the media button and your songs will play.

Lots of video guides on you tube etc, and google etc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/rip-music-from-cd#rip-music-from-cd=windows-7

• Like 1

Thank you. Trying to follow it, but so many options , and click the wrong one and it ends up a total mess.

I first need to try and delete what I've already put on this card.

Just sounds like your 'youngest' ripped the songs in the wrong format, maybe WMA not MP3.

He/she is young, they should know this stuff....lol...stop the pocket money!

• Like 1

You can get a USB card reader for a couple of pound from Amazon, you insert the SD card into the reader which then plugs into the USB port of your computer and away you go, copy all your files and your away. Unmount the reader when done and remove the card, plug the card in to the car and job done.

No one has even mentioned bringing back the old 8 track yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There were major quality issues with 8 track tapes......................

• Like 1

Just sounds like your 'youngest' ripped the songs in the wrong format, maybe WMA not MP3.

He/she is young, they should know this stuff....lol...stop the pocket money!

23, working and giving ME pocket money now!!  :D ....in my dreams.

He's not familiar with SD cards and suggested buying me an i pod for my forthcoming bitrthday instead, as he knows what to do with them.

Paid £40 yesterday for all this clobber from Maplin now however, so I'm not wasting it.

I shall persevere and eventually  win! I don't give up easily.  :p

As far as I know only Homer Simpson and my grandad ever had an 8-track cartridge player in their car.

I used to have miniDisc :x

Get with the modern world, daddio. Recommend you use the Sony media software to convert CD's to 256-kbit AAC/M4A format. Its a free download from here: http://mediago.sony.com/enu/download

You can buy SD cards cheap these days, I would go for a 64GByte from a reputable on-line shop.

I've sat in a '70 Mustang Fastback & listened to Simon & Garfunkel on a 8-track many (40'ish) years ago, & it was crap! The tape had a lubricant coating to make it work, but that meant that the playback speed was variable.

Nope.

7 home premium

Watch that video on you tube for windows 7 and then copy the mp3 files on to your SD card and it should work.

An SD card is just a different shape USB stick really, nothing to be concerned about, smaller also.

Watch that video on you tube for windows 7 and then copy the mp3 files on to your SD card and it should work.

An SD card is just a different shape USB stick really, nothing to be concerned about, smaller also.

Just watched it. Seems straight forward enough. 

I shall follow intently tonight and give it another go.

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to discover how to delete the incorrectly formated music I/we installed last night I suppose?

Is that easy enough hopefully?

Yep.

Just put your SD card in to your computer.

Open up the file explorer page, find the SD card, usually says the manufacturer name. Double click on it to open it. Then control and a to select all the files then press delete.

I' d recommend formatting the card to FAT32 format. Right click the SD card,select format, then select fat32.

Sorted.

Being an I.T. total dork and dimwit, I thought after follwing that You Tube vid that the job was completed. It was however merely showing me how to transfer a cd onto the computer, NOT how to then transfer it onto the SD card.

No wonder it was blank when I installed it.

Youngster fathomed out how to complete the transfer however, so thanks for your patience everyone.

Just got to burn a stack of cd's onto here now then.

I may be some time. :nerd:

• Like 1

Sorted! And just think of all that space you will save in the car without all them CDs kicking about

Next problem now is that I'm going to have to play EVERY suspect CD on the 'puter to weed out the ones that certain tracks 'jump' and stick on..

I should be finished by 2021, and then my next car will probably have a CD player but no SD card slot!  :D

What is the difference between 'rip' and 'burn' btw anyone?

Rip is putting the music from the CD into the computer

Burn is putting music from the computer onto a CD (or writing any sort of data onto a CD or DVD) 

• Like 1

Do these SD cards ever fail btw?

Is it advisable to do a back up one?

Failure rate is small but it would probably be a good idea to keep the files backed up on your computer. That way you can just copy them over in the event of a card failure. Chances are your computers hard drive with its moving parts will fail before your static SD card though.

• Like 3