Brighter Headlights

Andyroo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10% off with who??

I was going to pop into halfords this afternoon.

NOOOOOOO !!!!

I had a quick look in Halfords just to see if they stocked the Phillips or Osram bulbs, they dont but they do have there own brand high vision bulbs, problem is they were

I had the Phillips Vision + in mine, much better. Switched to the Phillips Rallye - not as white but on full beam I got a reflection off signs up to 1.2 miles away (measured on the odometer on a motorway) :eek:

They are only illegal if you use them :rofl:

NOOOOOOO !!!!

I had a quick look in Halfords just to see if they stocked the Phillips or Osram bulbs, they dont but they do have there own brand high vision bulbs, problem is they were

Just bought a set of bulbs out of Halfrauds.

Went in looking for philips or osram but ended up with a set of Halfrauds own super brilliance +50% H4 bulbs.

They retailed at

how often do you actually use your fogs ?

i have used mine once in the last 3 years

if you want good sidelights then you need the led ones from piaa not the free blue ones from powerbulbs

Turned them on for a minute once just to check that they work.

After getting sidetracked a lot and suffering from a lack of daylight hours to fit them, I've only just got round to putting them in.....they work, but I'll have to test them properly when it gets dark later.

I didn't get any free sidelight bulbs.:(

how much would it cost the get the levels checked/adjusted?even with upgraded bulbs,my dipped is shocking,going to have to go for some rally ones else.i still can't understand why skoda used H4's in the first place.

and fearing being called a "you know what",does anyone make a good upgrade headlamp unit for the octavia?something along the angel eyes type,with some good bulbage inside?

Out of interest, has anyone tried Philips DiamondVision or CrystalVision bulbs available in some SE Asia markets. I picked up a couple of sets from Singapore to experiment with. I don't think these are EU/EC (whatever it is) approved so not legal in UK but they are still 60/55w. I was very impressed with the quality of the light given off by these bulbs that I just had to buy a set to try out here. On my way back to London now (in transit in Dubai). Wondered if anyone else had the same idea?

Not tried those myself, but I can't imagine them being much better/worse than the SilverVision, it may even be the same just differently branded over there?

Either way, post back your results as it's always good to know :)

As for the ralley bulbs, I'd avoid using them for dipped beam, as not only are they illegal, you'll be putting tons of load on the circuit, double what it's designed to carry (almost). High beam is a different matter, still illegal but at least you shouldnt be blinding anyone with it, presumably you still turn them off when you have oncoming traffic :D

The one thing that keeps creeping into a lot of the 'bulb thread and xenons or not type threads' is the level of the lights in the first place. It seems a LOT of dealers either don't adjust the levels properly on delivery, or worse still, don't adjust Xenons to their appropriate level. This in turn leaves the customer with a terrible light output, compared to what it should be.

With non-Xenons this is less pronounced as the cutoff is soft, so you'll still get some light further ahead, but with Xenons the cutoff is so sharp that you cannot see a darn thing when they're pointing to the ground. (gets off soapbox)

I tried loads of the so called better bulbs advertised but found no massive improvement in any of them so I fitted some rally bulbs & gained a marked improvement, Ok technically they are illegal but these days seeing the number of cars that are allowed to drive on the road with headlights not working or massivly out of adjustment I cant believe over bright lights correctly adjusted are a problem. On my previous Impreza I ran 130 watt mains with 140 watt spots & never had a problem with the Police.

I have an Octy where the light level can be adjusted manually from within the car so I tend to keep then turned down in town.

For those of you who rave about xenons the main beam is still a normal bulb & this too can be upgraded I believe to either 100 or 130 watt but aparently its very fiddly to do

I would much rather get a ticket for defective lights than hit a pedestrian on a wet winters night because I didnt see him

Stuart:

Where can I get these Rally Bulbs online, which do your recommend? Also please explain about the Xenon headlights, as far as I understood it was the colour temp that made them better for clarity at night, are the rally ones similar in colour, do they stick out and can they cause any electrical porblems?

All:

Any selling Octavia Xenon headlights?

Right, only been drivin the car a couple of times since changing the bulbs, but the light is crisper/ sharper (viewed against a wall). Haven't been able to test on a non-lit country road yet.

Also, they are much whiter than the old bulbs. I noticed this when i looked at the reflector inside the light in comparison with the standard bulb.

So, for

Stuart:

Where can I get these Rally Bulbs online' date=' which do your recommend? Also please explain about the Xenon headlights, as far as I understood it was the colour temp that made them better for clarity at night, are the rally ones similar in colour, do they stick out and can they cause any electrical porblems?

All:

Any selling Octavia Xenon headlights?[/quote']

Got mine from a local Motorfactor, not sure where on the net you can get them, havent caused any problems with the Electrics & Ive had them for 2 years

Proper Xenons are a completely different light, not sure of the Science but one thing you will notice is they take a few seconds to come on to full power, hence why the main beam is still a bulb I believe, you cant flash a Xenon. These are far better on dip but its not a simple retro fit bulb, its the whole unit

I have tried the bulbs they call xenons, they gave a similar colour to the light but no more penetration than std bulbs IMO

The Rally bulbs Im running are either120 or 130 watt, cant remember but as std bulbs are 65 you can understand they are a tadge brighter

Got mine from a local Motorfactor' date=' not sure where on the net you can get them, havent caused any problems with the Electrics & Ive had them for 2 years

Proper Xenons are a completely different light, not sure of the Science but one thing you will notice is they take a few seconds to come on to full power, hence why the main beam is still a bulb I believe, you cant flash a Xenon. These are far better on dip but its not a simple retro fit bulb, its the whole unit

I have tried the bulbs they call xenons, they gave a similar colour to the light but no more penetration than std bulbs IMO

The Rally bulbs Im running are either120 or 130 watt, cant remember but as std bulbs are 65 you can understand they are a tadge brighter[/quote']

I think you can get Bi-xenons on the Superb for low/high beam use but as you say a standard lamp is required for flashing your headlamps. I think some manufacturers get by this by flashing the foglights instead. This would work well on the Superb as the fogs are built-in to the main lights anyway.

All you need to know about headlights - as ever - from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamps

But have decided against them when buying an Octy Mk 2 because of all the problems (and they're low beam only). Happy to play about with conventional bulbs afterwards as long as I can fit them....

I have just ordered the OSRAMS (H7) for my wifes Fiat Punto (2001) and PHILIPS VISION PLUS (H4) for my Ocatvia (2002). Is the H4 CORRECT FOR MY OCTY?

Thanks Aaquil

Yup I think H4's are correct for your Octy

I've had my Octavia vRS for about 6 months now and I'm very happy' date=' but I find the headlights too dim. I generally drive with the foglights on at the moment, which is not a long term, nor fully satisfatory solution IMO.

Could I possibly gain extra power from changing the bulbs?

If so what are the bulbs to get and is it an easy DIY job?[/quote']

Doesn't the vRS have Xenons?