Creaking Glovebox

What sorted it out for me was unscrewing the glovebox and then refitting it with a fibre washer at every fixing point. It was terrible before and is now as quiet as a mouse! There are three fixings along the top, two at either side along the bottom and then I found another couple of potential 'squeak points' in the dash structure - so you should need 7-8 washers tops. I just used a little bit of superglue to hold them to the glovebox before fitting, as there would be no way to hold them in place when refitting the glovebox otherwise.

Hope this helps!

What sorted it out for me was unscrewing the glovebox and then refitting it with a fibre washer at every fixing point. It was terrible before and is now as quiet as a mouse! There are three fixings along the top, two at either side along the bottom and then I found another couple of potential 'squeak points' in the dash structure - so you should need 7-8 washers tops. I just used a little bit of superglue to hold them to the glovebox before fitting, as there would be no way to hold them in place when refitting the glovebox otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Thanks I'll try that. It's definitely the glovebox

I have this too, and it's also driving me crazy. If a small amount of pressure is applied to the area just above the glove box, the noise disappears. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact source of the sound as it needs the motion of the car to reproduce it accurately.

I have this too, and it's also driving me crazy. If a small amount of pressure is applied to the area just above the glove box, the noise disappears. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact source of the sound as it needs the motion of the car to reproduce it accurately.

Hi Tim,

Long time no speak (as I couldn't log in under the new system - user error, of course).

I've had this on previous cars as well, and found that it was where the left-hand side of the glove box rubs against the rubber door seal of the front passenger door - if you try wedging something in there (like a piece of folded card, or similar?) and taking the car out for a spin and it stops, then just apply some UHMW tape down the side of the glove box and it won't ever squeak again............

Cheers,

James

Wotcha James, hope you're well mate.

I did start looking in this area - there are 2 plastic panels on the left hand side of the glovebox area where the door closes, which meet (near to the rubber doughnut thingy which pipes air from the dashboard) and I thought this was the source; didn't get much further than squirting some lubricant in that general area but it didn't help. I'll perhaps try again with some hard blu tac stuff I've got, just to introduce a bit more pressure - will try your suggestion with the seal too.

It's difficult to investigate with much regularity, because it either means entrusting the car to be driven by SWMBO while I poke and prod the glovebox, or relying on her to patiently investigate on my behalf while I drive - neither of which being especially attractive/realistic :) 

It's difficult to investigate with much regularity, because it either means entrusting the car to be driven by SWMBO while I poke and prod the glovebox, or relying on her to patiently investigate on my behalf while I drive - neither of which being especially attractive/realistic :)

I hear that! I quietened (not absolutely stopped) mine by taking the panel to the left off (with the rubber donut), loosening the self-tapping screws that hold the dash in place behind it and applying some copper grease to them before tightening them up again. As said, I still get occasion noise but no where as loud or frequent as before. I think temperature affects it too, worse when it's cold.

Edited by nickgpfc

I cured mine. Was convinced it was the glovebox. So I took the glovebox completely out for a week and it was still there. Then I thought it was the the dashboard end trim nsf so I removed it and felt taped it. Still it was there. Anyway cut a long story short it was in the end the mirror speaker trim triangle shape trim front inside of nsf door . You have to take the door card off and felt tape the inside of this trim. Don't forget to change the door panel trim clips as well irrc needs 6. Your right though it's was worse on a cold morning. I think as the interior warms up everything expands and gets tighter .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wotcha James, hope you're well mate.

I did start looking in this area - there are 2 plastic panels on the left hand side of the glovebox area where the door closes, which meet (near to the rubber doughnut thingy which pipes air from the dashboard) and I thought this was the source; didn't get much further than squirting some lubricant in that general area but it didn't help. I'll perhaps try again with some hard blu tac stuff I've got, just to introduce a bit more pressure - will try your suggestion with the seal too.

Tim,

Try wedging some cardboard (or something similar) into the gap between the door seal and the plastic panel on the left-side of the glovebox - enough to physically move the plastic panel by a few mm.

I did this on a previous BMW 3-series and it worked a treat.

Clearly, it then had a piece of cardboard in that bit of the car, but you couldn't see it unless the passenger door was fully open - however, I eventually replaced it by using UHMW tape down the length of the plastic panel = squeak gone.

Cheers

James

Hope this helps!

I also did this on mine 5 years ago and haven't had a single squeak since. Before that it was really noisy! It is THE SOLUTION!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a 4 hour trip to Legoland over the weekend inspired me to investigate further, as I was ready to scrap the car when we returned :)

Took about 8 minutes to diagnose and fix in the end - though based on this thread and a quick browse of Briskoda overall there are clearly multiple squeak sources and fixes!

See pic below. On removing the end panel of the dashboard, applying a very small amount of pressure (literally a finger touch) to the bit of plastic in the bottom red ring produced the squeak - so I can only assume the natural motion of the car did just this when travelling along. The solution was to simply slacken the screw shown in the top red ring by a couple of turns - still perfectly secure, just less tight, and now no squeak. Bliss.

SQUEAK.jpg

• Like 1

That one, and the one at the bottom (not circled) were the ones that I copper greased, suggesting that your source is/was the same as mine. Might slacken it off half a turn or so.

I did try covering it and the washer in silicon lubricant first, but having re-tightened it up the squeak was exactly the same - so I'm not convinced the squeak was coming from the screw/washer itself, but was a consequence of the tightness meaning some other area of that whole interconnected plastic structure was complaining.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! So far I have tried:

- Removing the side panel and adding a line of velcro along the edge that meets the door seal - no effect.

- Loosening the top screw circled above. This has now been removed and wont go back in - thread stripped I think as it just spins - Still no effect anyway.

- Silver dash trim above the glove box removed and sponge inserted behind - No effect.

- Fibre washers applied to all screw points - No effect - fyi I did this without gluing them in place, difficult but not impossible. Might remove it all though and do it again this time with glue.

If I apply even the slightest bit of pressure to the glove box lid or the silver trim above the squeak goes. I've resorted more recently to giving it an absolute whack whilst driving - does the trick for that journey!

I've just done mine coincidentally and think I've managed to fix the rattle/squeak :)

The bolt highlighted in the yellow was loose, not even finger tight. I ended up taking the glovebox out completely (5x screws iirc - 2 on the side behind the panel, 3 on the top inside the glovebox) as I struggled to get to the culprit, even with a flexi extension :(

I used sprung (I've always called them this, but google seems to call them split ring?) washers on each of the screws and this bolt and it seems to be cured. Fingers crossed.

I've tightened the side 2 up before, but it seemed to only be a temp fix - hope this lasts longer.

post-14891-0-66708100-1465417660_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've just done mine coincidentally and think I've managed to fix the rattle/squeak :)

The bolt highlighted in the yellow was loose, not even finger tight. I ended up taking the glovebox out completely (5x screws iirc - 2 on the side behind the panel, 3 on the top inside the glovebox) as I struggled to get to the culprit, even with a flexi extension :(

I used sprung (I've always called them this, but google seems to call them split ring?) washers on each of the screws and this bolt and it seems to be cured. Fingers crossed.

I've tightened the side 2 up before, but it seemed to only be a temp fix - hope this lasts longer.

On my 2005 car the laft-hand side of the dash had the most annoying squeek/rattle/zinging noise - and it appeared to come from the sliver triom strip over the glovebox door. However, I discovered that the slightest pressure anywhere along the face of the area produced the same "trim squeek" - so, what could it be?. I prised open the same flap as jellybeard - at the hear-side end of the dash (there's a small cut-out at the bottom into whcu you can put the blade of a flat-ended screwdriver) and sprayed the area liberally with a silicon, including the point where the A piller trim intersects with the top left-hand corner of the dash. That seems to have fixed it.