Best 165mm speakers for £80

My son wants some new  165mm coaxial door speakers for his new Kenwood head unit. His budget is only £80.

He already has a sub powered by a separate amp so bass isn't important.

He is looking at JL Audio TR650cxi  Kenwood KFC-X173, or Hertz Energy ECX165.5.

Any opinions or alternatives much appreciated.

What car is he installing them in?

Generally, the speakers are set too low to get a good sound stage with co-axial units as they will the tweeters. Better to go for component speakers with the tweeters mounted higher. Requires more effort installing them but the results are worth it.

I too have Infinity speakers in my Yeti but Hertz get good reviews.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Either the jl audio or hertz will be fine.

I had Morel tempo 6's which were excellent if a little hard to source but I had to change them due to them being too deep and sitting on the window regulator bar behind them, I now have some hertz low profile ones and they too are good not quite as good as the morels but good enough for the money.

I would take a look on the talk audio forum for some better advice.

• 1 month later...

I'm running the Excursion SX6C from audio boffins in the front of mine as all the tweeters were shot in my Octy. Amazing clarity from the componants it was like the standard speakers were behind a duvet or something. Only problem is audioboffins are currently out of stock of the rear size units and nobody else seems to stock them.

www.Excursion.us is their website but its a bit of a mess tbh.

Edited by km666

• 3 weeks later...

It needs something to replace the rears, theyre overwhelmed by even modest volume levels. I suppose they could go completely and throw something bigger on the parcel shelf.

Disconnect them permenately or fade them out a bit to reduce any distortion. They do not add to sound quality they will throw the sound stage off. If you get a decent pair for the fronts and amplify them you should have plenty of volume, the rears will just drag the sound to the back where you are not sitting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

I'm running the Excursion SX6C from audio boffins in the front of mine as all the tweeters were shot in my Octy. Amazing clarity from the componants it was like the standard speakers were behind a duvet or something. Only problem is audioboffins are currently out of stock of the rear size units and nobody else seems to stock them.

www.Excursion.us is their website but its a bit of a mess tbh.

Looks a decent bit of kit for the money but I've got FL Octavia 2009 with the mirrors switch. Any ideas....?? Many thanks