Driving Position

Delkay

I'm 6'4", 16st and have long legs. Initially, I found it a little to get comfy in my Yeti having come from an Audi A4.

However, I was trying to replicate the Audi seat position which was fully back and fully down. I've found the best position is fully back but pumped a couple of inches higher than bottom.

Being tall, I used to suffer from lower back problems but in the 18 months I've had the Yeti I've been trouble free.

I used to have a Wrangler but had to sell it when I discovered that after ~ 90 mins my left hip started to ache which I think was down to the bell housing encroaching on the footwell........there was no space for a footrest either.

I could never have discovered this (beyond the lack of a footrest) in any sort of test drive.

For me comfort has the highest priority.

I find on long drives in our vast country, I tend to put the seat down but in the round town environment I put it back up.

Everybody is different but manufacurers have to average out.

No never noticed it on the test drive. Sometimes it can take a while to find the most comfortable position as even one click can make a big difference. However over 18 months I couldn't get there. It was covered quite a bit on here as  a few people suffered. I think for me it is the way the seat adjusted upwards that caused the problem., it tipped rather than lifted vertically, but it could have been a combination of things I don't know. The electric seats didn't have this problem apparently.

I'm 6'4" and long in the back/neck. The amount of headroom on offer in the Yeti is impressive. I like a high seating position (one of the reasons I looked at the Yeti in the first place) and a low wheel, close to me. Good practice is to have your hands below your heart when they're in your usual position on the wheel. I've got the seat set on maximum height and even though I've got the sunroof on my car, there's still plenty of head clearance. The 'doming' of the roof on the Yeti means that even if you get your eye line close to the top of the side windows, headroom isn't a problem. The view forward is great. It also means that I don't have to p*ss about with sunvisors - a pet hate of mine. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the seating position on my Yeti. Having a high seat/low wheel needs compromise or I lose sight of the tops of the dials, but that's a common problem. The steering wheel seems offset slightly from seat centreline, but again that's not unique to the Yeti. It would be nice if one could tilt the seat base to give more thigh support. I guess that would come with full electric adjustment.

GIven the virtually infinite settings, have you tried starting from beginning ?  i..e. seat at lowest position, slid right forward,  the back upright. steering wheel fully in and either to bottom  or top  as starting point.

Then adjust each part individually, starting with base position for legs to pedals, then base height, then recline.  leaving the wheel adjustment to last.  this will give you a starting point to tweak accordingly.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback.

After a 300 mile round trip this last few days, I've come to the conclusion I need another inch reach and rake to be settled, and I've tried every which way to get it right.

I may add some height to the drivers door armrest to see if that helps me get comfortable on a motorway stretch, but I'm going to ask my local dealer if there is room to give me the extra adjustment I would like.

Other than that it's a great car.

I reset my seat, raising the seat till my feet fell easily to the brake and clutch,

then fore and aft for the fully depressed clutch.

I made a note of how many Clicks and pumps I altered it by so I could return to

my original settings.

I have had my Yeti for two years and find that my optimum driving position for a long run means I cannot see all of the speedometer's range, to modify this I have to compromise. I have a bad back and can only drive the Yeti for 90 minutes before my left leg begins to hurt. I am 6' 6"ish and 16.5 stone, with a 37" inside leg. I also have a 1976 Opel Manta S which has seats like razors with just recline and fore/aft adjustment, I can read all the dials and only my bladder dictates how long I can drive for. In 8 months time when I order my next car will it be a Yeti? No, I could get far more comfortable in my Roomster. 

I used to get a lot of sciatica and ended up having a back op. (8.5 hours)

I still get a little sciatica, if I try and walk too far, but my first Yeti I drove to

Norfolk with no problem, EXCEPT, I had to take my wallet out of my back

pocket! it was pressing on the sciatic nerve and I am told that it is a common

cause of driver sciatica.

I also remove my wallet from my back pocket on long trips. It does make a difference.

It hurts when I have to take my wallet out of my back pocket before long trips - not with sciatica, but my diminishing bank balance....... :devil:

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 1

It hurts when I have to take my wallet out of my back pocket before long trips - not with sciatica, but my diminishing bank balance....... :devil:

Agreed but my other half is always happy to keep it safe in her handbag!