vRS TDI so far...

So another week with the car and I thought I'd post an update on my thoughts. Not going over the ding (see above).

I've felt the ride is a little harsher now, but that is in comparison to my old Passat which ran on 16" alloys. It still isn't as jarring as some cars I've driven and I'm sure there can't be much difference between the 19" extreme alloys I'm on compared to the standard alloys. This in all fairness was felt on the A350 near Shaftesbury which has horrific potholes on it.

It was the first time many of my colleagues had seen it and most were very impressed and thought the value of the car was far more than it actually is (some other fleet cars are Volvo S60 (190bhp), Passat GT). I do now have a list of people who are looking to work with me for a few days just to get to drive it!

I'm around 800 miles in now and MPG is usually around 41-45 on most journeys. This is still around 6-10 down on the Passat - hoping this'll improve.

The canton sounds superb now I've messed with the settings (have it on individual profile on the equaliser). Great listening to DAB too and the late England winner was crystal clear [emoji38]

One annoyance is my iPhone changes the playlist when re-connected and this is a small pain to have to keep switching it to my car one. Not sure if that's my phone or the car though.

The amount of space, coming from a Passat, has been surprising in a good way. Even the wife commented on how much room there is in the back (one of my kids loves going in the front - saves my Wife's passenger driver comments [emoji23]). The boot is also really good, although you lose some height with the sloped rear windscreen (I'll take that over the flat edged (and boring IMO) Passat).

My next purchase will be a boot mat to stop things sliding around and hitting the edges/subwoofer. Been quoted around £70 for a Skoda one from a local dealer, assume Super Skoda will have similar - not sure which site to get it from though. Any recommendations would be appreciated [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My next purchase will be a boot mat to stop things sliding around and hitting the edges/subwoofer. Been quoted around £70 for a Skoda one from a local dealer, assume Super Skoda will have similar - not sure which site to get it from though. Any recommendations would be appreciated [emoji106]

Got my rubber boot mat for my hatch from SkodaDop for 32 euros + delivery, really thick, good fit and good quality with Octavia insignia. I am sure they do one for the estate. Delivery took about 4 days

• Like 1

Got my rubber boot mat for my hatch from SkodaDop for 32 euros + delivery, really thick, good fit and good quality with Octavia insignia. I am sure they do one for the estate. Delivery took about 4 days

Something like this? http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/interer-octavia-iii/skoda-octavia-combi-iii-kovrik-v-bagazhnik-rezinovyj.html

Saw this, might be good for protecting bumper, but seems 3 times the price!

http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/interer-octavia-iii/skoda-octavia-combi-iii-dvuhstoronnij-raskladyvayutshijsya-kovrik-v-bagazhnik-5e9061210.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that's like the mat I bought and I also bought one of their bumper protectors in gloss black (simple stick on) about 48 euros I think . It's now scratched a little but means it's protected my paintwork! Combined cost a bit cheaper than the fold out mat but it really depends on what your personal requirements are/what you are loading.

• Like 1

Yes, that's like the mat I bought and I also bought one of their bumper protectors in gloss black (simple stick on) about 48 euros I think . It's now scratched a little but means it's protected my paintwork! Combined cost a bit cheaper than the fold out mat but it really depends on what your personal requirements are/what you are loading.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback on them. Not sure I can stick a protector on there as its a co. Car, but then again sure it won't damage paintwork when removed.

So the brake calipers. I've read a lot about the change and I'm assuming I've got the 312mm ones.

5169080cf687028429b517c3da27000c.jpg

Got to say that I'm impressed with the way they work and their look if I'm honest. Really cool in the red and stand out a treat with the Extremes. My boss had green eyes with them too.

As they're light doesn't it mean I'll be fractionally quicker than one with the 340mm too?[emoji6][emoji592][emoji100]

Cleaned today and looking rather nice!

e33dd4a044c8f5dda941470a6a2ec73c.jpg

• Like 1

That picture you've taken is of the rear brakes - they haven't changed t all. It's the fronts where the size change has taken place - a photo of those should allow us to confirm.

• Like 2

That picture you've taken is of the rear brakes - they haven't changed t all. It's the fronts where the size change has taken place - a photo of those should allow us to confirm.

Ahh I see, shows I was paying attention!!

Here's the front and a close up - larger than the rear.

e979d3b2b71984f4cccc8d9d2f10ed0a.jpg

cbc14d6ce4774eff50ff7799830ea674.jpg

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/396273-have-skoda-reduced-the-front-brake-disc-size-on-new-vrss/

Complete thread on brake size.

Probably not noticable for most drivers.

Cheers, I've read that thread before I got the car and assumed I'd get the 312mm

@tomsimes wanted to see pic of fronts to tell me if I have smaller brake discs - whatever they are, they look and work fine for me.

My English is not top notch. But the inner part of the brake Caliper is curved on the smaller setup.

I think I can see some differences on the right side of the caliper and it looks like there is a different letter at the top of the caliper (Q whereas mine has L).

I think I can see some differences on the right side of the caliper and it looks like there is a different letter at the top of the caliper (Q whereas mine has L).

OK. I have the 230. Very pleased with the car as well.

• Like 1

OK. I have the 230. Very pleased with the car as well.

Thought so - love those black Extremes [emoji106][emoji108]

Think I have the smaller ones, but I honestly can't see any major drawback unless they were side by side. Still look cool!

• Like 1

I agree. I think only a few people would notice the brake size. Not important in my opinion. Big enough for a golf gti.

Best part with my Skoda is that everyone who has had a testrun are impressed. They always think in advance its a bad car. It has a bad reputation in Norway. But they are equal to most middle pricerange cars.

Thought so - love those black Extremes [emoji106][emoji108]

Think I have the smaller ones, but I honestly can't see any major drawback unless they were side by side. Still look cool!

Edited by KjetilRos

can't see a massive difference when comparing the photo of those vs mine [emoji848]

Yep, you've got the 312s (as have I).

You can tell mainly by the shape of the carrier - a curved or straight edge nearest to the hub. I agree though, I find the 312s more than adequate, and have definitely driven it 'enthusiastically'!

• Like 2

Yep, you've got the 312s (as have I).

You can tell mainly by the shape of the carrier - a curved or straight edge nearest to the hub. I agree though, I find the 312s more than adequate, and have definitely driven it 'enthusiastically'!

Saw that on KjetilRos' 230 pic

http://www.motorverso.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Skoda-Octavia-vRS-230-1393.jpg

Also explains different lettering on them. Like you, I'm happy enough and may have used them fairly firmly even in these early days!

Bit of a nerdy post, but found a perfect fit thermos flask for early morning Green Tea! Fits beautifully into the small (compared to Passat which was like pint glass size) cup holders. It is the Thermocafe by Thermos.

f37ab1a3ab61698c82651c2b8e17de5b.jpg

8c0d991f8b4db1a2f188f6da5d03b906.jpg

Oh and I've hit 1000 miles (with a nice 50mpg run to Weymouth today). Does that mean I can open it up now? [emoji848][emoji48]

7016420abe78939a2e95af87a9a7fbcb.jpg

Edited by ToffeeMRD
  • Like 2

Sure you can open it up, but your tea will probably be cold now.

Or is that not what you meant?

Haha more so opening it up as in I've hit 1,000 miles so I can drive it like I stole it (a bit more) ;)

• Like 1

Bit of a nerdy post, but found a perfect fit thermos flask for early morning Green Tea! Fits beautifully into the small (compared to Passat which was like pint glass size) cup holders. It is the Thermocafe by Thermos.

Oh and I've hit 1000 miles (with a nice 50mpg run to Weymouth today). Does that mean I can open it up now? [emoji848][emoji48]

7016420abe78939a2e95af87a9a7fbcb.jpg

I don't know about the flask holder but I was looking forward to getting the vRS on the MaxiDot read out, but is it only the colour version that gets it because I have the standard and it ain't there  :envy: .

The vRS pops up on the Amunsden display occasionally but that's it  :|

I don't know about the flask holder but I was looking forward to getting the vRS on the MaxiDot read out, but is it only the colour version that gets it because I have the standard and it ain't there :envy: .

The vRS pops up on the Amunsden display occasionally but that's it :|

Isn't that the standard display that I have? Can't remember selecting that as an option unless it came with the black pack plus?

Edited by ToffeeMRD