vRS TDI so far...

Good stuff thanks for the info Toffee. Just now I'm looking at around £50 to fill up and getting 300-330 as I said. So theoretically I could be getting max 200 miles more maybe 250 if I drive like a sedated Nun per tank and an extra 20+- mpg It is a thinker once you start doing the number crunching. I know like yourself I won't be able to resist the temptation to press the loud pedal more than I should, otherwise I would just buy a 90bhp fabia and get 60mpg and never smile behind the wheel again :D .

Slightly off topic but was also looking at the 2013 Fabia VRS which are selling for 8-9k so could make a tidy profit but heard some horror stories about the engine consuming excess oil and generally going pop, hence why they moved to the Monte Carlo Fabia and discontinued the VRS. Thoughts?

Cheers.

• Like 2

Good stuff thanks for the info Toffee. Just now I'm looking at around £50 to fill up and getting 300-330 as I said. So theoretically I could be getting max 200 miles more maybe 250 if I drive like a sedated Nun per tank and an extra 20+- mpg It is a thinker once you start doing the number crunching. I know like yourself I won't be able to resist the temptation to press the loud pedal more than I should, otherwise I would just buy a 90bhp fabia and get 60mpg and never smile behind the wheel again :D .

Slightly off topic but was also looking at the 2013 Fabia VRS which are selling for 8-9k so could make a tidy profit but heard some horror stories about the engine consuming excess oil and generally going pop, hence why they moved to the Monte Carlo Fabia and discontinued the VRS. Thoughts?

Cheers.

Haven't heard those stories nor know much about that car, but had an Ibiza FR which I assume ran a similar engine (143 bhp TDI?). That was pretty solid. It can be pot luck though with some cars and engines.

Thought I was on to a winner when I saw the prices they are going for until I read this http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/

That was enough to give me the jitters. Your right though a lot of the time it is down to pot luck. The search continues.

180bhp in that body - that's a winner right there!

180bhp in that body - that's a winner right there!

It certainly is tempting at 9k with the turbo and supercharged engine it's going to be a very quick wee motor. Might do a bit more research into the engine see what I can find out.

• Like 1

I did - this was my config.

http://cc-cloud.skoda-auto.com/CarCard/80091817

Only things changed were heated windscreen (assume not allowed due to replacement cost) and only front heated seats as didn't mean to select the rears too!

Manual over DSG for me all day long!

Agree on the manual. Going for the meteor grey hopefully. Encouraging re the delivery time, I'd heard there was a long wait on these things now, or maybe that's just private?

• Like 1

Couple of moments this week, now 5,000 miles in. A longer trip down the A303 and some good return on the MPG front compared to usual (I carry a lot in the car weight wise for work), even with some spirited driving at times ;) - see first pic.

Second was a trip taking daughter to a hospital appointment, only to be greeted with the tyre pressure loss indicator across all 4 tyres mid way through the journey in Bath! Admittedly I haven't checked them or set tyre pressure on the car menu since I got the car and think one may have dropped, hence the warning across all 4. Surprised at how high they need to be, but haven't driven a car with 19" alloys before!

Had a nice valet at Cabot Circus and had a couple of people openly say how much they liked the car. Shows how much Skoda have come on as a brand and reputable/desirable manufacturer over the last 10-20 years. Really enjoying the car and so pleased I chose this over the Mazda 6 and Passat GT.

Hi what pressures are you running on the tyres please as i've not set my low indicator yet either

Agree on the manual. Going for the meteor grey hopefully. Encouraging re the delivery time, I'd heard there was a long wait on these things now, or maybe that's just private?

Not sure if it makes any difference to whether it's private or lease - or I'd hope as a private seller it didn't! Long lead times I've read about on the 230, but not TDI, so hopefully you'll be ok. One of my clients has a meteor grey hatch and it's a cool colour. Also saw an unmarked police estate in that colour too in Verwood

Hi what pressures are you running on the tyres please as i've not set my low indicator yet either

I went for 3.0 bar or 43 psi as I'm carrying a lot of weight across the back seats and in the boot. Always looks as though I've got lowering springs on the car. You've probably seen this - it'll also depend on the size of the wheel/alloy you have.

1F2E5DB7-5059-4C77-B463-B868BE0A4863_zps

• Like 1

Not sure if it makes any difference to whether it's private or lease - or I'd hope as a private seller it didn't! Long lead times I've read about on the 230, but not TDI, so hopefully you'll be ok. One of my clients has a meteor grey hatch and it's a cool colour. Also saw an unmarked police estate in that colour too in Verwood

Excellent, mine will be lease when its finally sorted. I live just up the road from Verwood in Fordingbridge. Interesting colour for a undercover car. Yeah I love the colour but the wife hates it. Think its a bit of marmite colour.

Excellent, mine will be lease when its finally sorted. I live just up the road from Verwood in Fordingbridge. Interesting colour for a undercover car. Yeah I love the colour but the wife hates it. Think its a bit of marmite colour.

Know Fordingbridge very well - there every 4-5 weeks. Re Meteor, it's a colour that has grown on me the more I see it! The green has too, wasn't sure on that until I saw it in the flesh. White is the most common IMO.

Edited by ToffeeMRD

Know Fordingbridge very well - there every 4-5 weeks. Re Meteor, it's a colour that has grown on me the more I see it! The green has too, wasn't sure on that until I saw it in the flesh. White is the most common IMO.

Havnt seen a green one but not keen at the moment, will hold judgement until I see one in the metal. There's a couple of VRS's in Fordingbridge, black one and a white one. Both owners speak very highly of them.

• Like 1

Couple of issues the past week with my infotainment system (Amundsen). Phone was connected, but not playing through speakers (checked phone sound was meant to be playing through BT Skoda) when calling and at the same time the music was very faint. Had to reboot the system (press and hold off button) for it to work again. Sat Nav also stopped working at one point and another reboot ensued. Hopefully not a sign of things to come as its been impressive so far.

Some good MPG on a trip to Weymouth just under 51mpg. Soon ruined that around town and with a spritely drive home not he A350 :)

CBC47784-3201-46E4-8C2C-898714EB94F4_zps

Here's a video from a trip to Swanage, love coming back through Corfe, such a beautiful place.

Couple of issues the past week with my infotainment system (Amundsen). Phone was connected, but not playing through speakers (checked phone sound was meant to be playing through BT Skoda) when calling and at the same time the music was very faint. Had to reboot the system (press and hold off button) for it to work again. Sat Nav also stopped working at one point and another reboot ensued. Hopefully not a sign of things to come as its been impressive so far.

Some good MPG on a trip to Weymouth just under 51mpg. Soon ruined that around town and with a spritely drive home not he A350 :)

CBC47784-3201-46E4-8C2C-898714EB94F4_zps

Here's a video from a trip to Swanage, love coming back through Corfe, such a beautiful place.

Had to reboot mine a few times at approx 1K not needed a reboot since, now at 6.5K.

• Like 1

Bank holiday meant some work in the garden and, much to my reluctance, loading the vRS to the hilt. Very impressed with the load capacity and it wasn't far off the old Passat in terms of what it could swallow. Even on the 19" Extremes it managed to take the weight well. Must admit that it may have scraped the wheel arch if the wheels were as wide as the bodywork!

69780533-BFE3-421F-974D-C3D6B772FC89_zps

Moving onto build quality. I can see where the plastics are not as hard wearing, IMO, as the Passats. Suppose this is to be expected as one of the 'lesser' brands in the VAG group. Wasn't much different in my SEAT.

Here's a pic of where I've clearly missed the hole in a number of occasions - not the first time lol!

990390CE-11F2-4B35-9F74-F76027AD0294_zps

Here's another of the glove box which has been kicked a few times by the kids when they've been in the car seat in the front passenger seat

5EA1643E-79E5-47EE-800A-9022F4901045_zps

Has it detracted from Skoda ownership? Not at all in my eyes. Still very well built IMO, with no rattled so far (even with the Canton at full blast!). Really enjoying life with Skoda and the vRS!

Edited by ToffeeMRD

You either need kessy or to stop drinking.

And if you're on PCP, be prepared to cough up at the end of the term if you hand it back - those scratches aren't "wear and tear".

If I may be so bold, Stevie Wonder in a coalmine wouldn't have made such a mess?

• Like 1

And if you're on PCP, be prepared to cough up at the end of the term if you hand it back - those scratches aren't "wear and tear".

If I may be so bold, Stevie Wonder in a coalmine wouldn't have made such a mess?

Hahahaha be bold - laughing my head off at that fair reflection of my aim!!! :)

It's a company car, so shouldn't cost me anything all being well. Can't remember it being that bad in my old Ibiza, Passat was the key fob you pushed into the slot. Bizarrely the Octavia has a darker plastic where this slot would be - assume that's for keyless option

Edited by ToffeeMRD
  • Like 1

You either need kessy or to stop drinking.

Must admit the Kessy is handy, keeps that dangerous key in the pocket :-) . Seems to be as you get holder you need to see where holes are more and more  :peek:

• Like 1

Must admit the Kessy is handy, keeps that dangerous key in the pocket :-) . Seems to be as you get holder you need to see where holes are more and more  :peek:

Yes my aim is worsening with age for sure! Kessy was one I didn't think I'd need and also was pushing me more to a price line where it'd be questioned more by our lease dept. Hindsight however.... ;)

Cheers.

I had the Fabia VRS it was a 10 plate it was a pain, problem after problem when working it was a joy but that was about 20% of the time! I would stay away I lost all trust in skodas. But I have read so much good reviews of the new Octavia its turns my head!

Just getting back on here as I've been looking at an Octavia vrs TDI for a company car of all goes well. Love this thread really answers a lot of questions I had! I was looking at Audi a4s but like you said the price with options is high ! The vrs with the options I would like is still 5-6k cheaper! I'm lucky with work though we can pick most cars I can think off so got some decisions!

• Like 1