Best 'everyday' handling package for TDi estate?

..Would it be worth buying the 1.4, getting it remapped, then upgrading the brakes? Or, is that a lot of flaffing around?)

If it's the 1.4 MPI you are talking about then there is no point remapping. Being Naturally Aspirated (non turbo) and petrol you won't gain much by remapping, only a few horsepower. The 1.4 TDI and 1.9 TDI being turbo-charged will gain the most. (around 30bhp)

I would stick with standard springs or the lowest drop. BUT go for Koni FSD dampers, I had them very good, soft in bumps, firm around corners.

Also stiffer front ARB (I used a Skoda one from the 1.9TDI/vrs, & Polybush the suspension.....I did it all, but the best to do is the console bush (rear bush on front lower wishbone).

15" rims with 195mm wide tyres is a good compromise, not too heavy, & enough grip for the weight of the Fabia...

i have 2007 1.4 TDI 80 BHP for last three years it gives very good MPG and only £30 per year road tax cant fault it.

Edited by X1S1