Rattle under car

GAFF

Noticed when let the revs die off or when about to take off. I has a look under it today and think that the problem might be between the silencer and the CAT. Theres an area where the exhaust pipes go through, with 2 metal plates either side and what fells like some sort of rubber mounts behind it.

Anyone have problems with it before ?

Time to get rid of that awl yoke! :rofl: What? You letting the revs die off? :D

Seriously though, my mother's 406 suffers from this. I think it may be the exhaust rattling on hers.

Yup' date=' centre mount snaps off.

Either get it welded back on or new centre section.[/quote']

F**king typical, this car doesn't want to leave me :rolleyes: , rad mounts, tyres, brakes, and now this. How much for new section ? How long would it take to install ? (I noticed a bar underneath it, I assume its drop this down and put new piece in)

Btw if I leave it will it snap the exhaust? Ordering New one in a week or so.

Mine did that too, I welded it up on xmas eve without taking the exhaust off. I decided to bend the two flanges in and weld them instead of the tinfoil bits that were holding it all together. Hardest bit was trying to get the car up high enough to get underneath it! I need to make myself some long ramps with a shallow angle...

I had the same happen to my Octy. I didn't even realize 'till it failed the MOT. Anyway, it cost me £10 at a local exhaust centre to get the mount welded back on which is a rather LARGE saving over a new part :)

I had it go on my vRS and my wife's Seat Leon in November.

The vRS is a company car and was 1000 miles outside the 60000 miles warranty, so the lease company payed for a new section of exhaust to be fitted.

I fixed it on my wifes car with two 75mm jubilee clips in about 20 minutes. No problems since.

Colm,

1. Yes

2. Just feed the clips around the exhaust pipe so they clamp the flaps back together.

Personally i'd treat is as a perfect excuse to get a new stainless exhaust :). Meanwhile undo two of the 13mm bolts and pop the rubber out and sling the broken bit of metal away, noise should stop then.

2. Just feed the clips around the exhaust pipe so they clamp the flaps back together.

Personally i'd treat is as a perfect excuse to get a new stainless exhaust :).

:thumbup:

Never mind new exhaust' date=' I'm after a new car :rolleyes: Ahem RS :rofl:

Meanwhile undo two of the 13mm bolts and pop the rubber out and sling the broken bit of metal away, noise should stop then.

Little :confused: sorry, but by clamping the two flaps would I not still need to leave the rubber there for support (or do you mean there is a seperate bit of metal to the flaps there to be removed ?).

So inorder to put jublie clips I'd still need to drop the whole section out, as the bolts look like they go in from the top (just noticed nuts are underneath so possible it could be removed that way ).

Sorry for Q's but what I could see was limited without jacking it up.

OK, nice and simple.

Remove all the 13mm nuts on the metal panel underneath. The metal panel will then fall on the floor. Remove the little bit of metal stuck in the rubber mountings (its not doing anything anyway). Refit the metal panel. Let the new owner buy the new exhaust :)

OK' date=' nice and simple.

Remove all the 13mm nuts on the metal panel underneath. The metal panel will then fall on the floor. Remove the little bit of metal stuck in the rubber mountings (its not doing anything anyway). Refit the metal panel. Let the new owner buy the new exhaust :)[/quote']

:P As much as I'd love to follow your advice I know the guy really well and I couldn't/wouldn't do that. It must be supporting it, would it not put strain on the connection to the silencer :confused: I just wanted to get an idea in my head before I start at it and find it won't go back together:rolleyes: The jubile clips sounds like a plan.

Btw the pick-up looks the dogs danglies in the pics

If you remove the bracket altogether then you strain the rest of the system and something else will break eventually.

To fit the jubilee clips, get the car up on ramps, remove the black plate. Unhook the bit that has snapped off from the rubbers. Unscrew the jubilee clips totally, then put them around the exhaust, put the broken piece back on and clamp it on with the clips. Make sure that the bracket is on straight, as the exhaust moves around and you will get a knocking noise as the clamp hits the body if it is not straight. Cut off the excess strap from the jubilee clips.

I had to remove the mounting rubbers to fit back on, you maybe more successful. If you do remove them, take a note which way they go around. And as they say in any manual, reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

If you remove the bracket altogether then you strain the rest of the system and something else will break eventually.

To fit the jubilee clips' date=' get the car up on ramps, remove the black plate. Unhook the bit that has snapped off from the rubbers. Unscrew the jubilee clips totally, then put them around the exhaust, put the broken piece back on and clamp it on with the clips. Make sure that the bracket is on straight, as the exhaust moves around and you will get a knocking noise as the clamp hits the body if it is not straight. Cut off the excess strap from the jubilee clips.

I had to remove the mounting rubbers to fit back on, you maybe more successful. If you do remove them, take a note which way they go around. And as they say in any manual, reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.[/quote']

:thumbup: I can see clearly now :rolleyes: , I hope I'm saying the same after making a mess of it :D

I've got this on my Octy vRS at the moment! Took it into the dealers before Christmas but they couldn't reproduce the noise. I got it up on some ramps at my folks place over christmas and found it in about 5mins :-)

If I take it back to the dealer will it get replaced under warranty? If not I might take Lummox's advice and opt for a stainless replacement. Roughly how much would I be looking at for one of these?

I got mine sorted yesterday for the price of 2 dublie clips.

@ Lummox, I understand now what you were on about welding, I didn't realise it was welded on either side of the exhaust, both welds were broken. (I had a picture in my head that the assembly was split in the middle).

Btw I used a lot of muscles I haven't used in a while (I was in bit this morning :D ), too much Xmas food and rest :rofl:

• 11 months later...
What size jubilees are they, i tried to fit 30-40 mm ones two days ago but they werent big enough

They look to be about 50mm in diameter. You can always undo them completely and join two end-to-end if you're really struggling...

I used 75mm clips when I did it and trimmed off the excess. You have to unreel the whole thing anyway to fit it around unless you want to take off your exhaust! They only cost about a pound each from B&Q or Homebase.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for lifting up this old thread, but I think it deserves it!

Yesterday, I fitted jubilee clips on my centre mount. Everything went nice and smooth thanks to the tips here. I am now officially rattle free!

I've been hunting high and low for the source of the noise ever since I got the car in May 2008. I've changed ARB bushes, front+rear wishbone bushes, droplinks, rear arm bushes and checked the radiator. I've spent almost