Oct 2015 vRS 230 Rear break discs

Hi

Hope not to create an unjustly thread here but every time my ass senses that something is off, it usually is.

I have been the owner of the above mentioned car for over 6 months now. Have had some minor issues but nothing unsolvable until I noticed this http://imgur.com/YYLl03U somewhere in January/Feb. This picture is taken today.

I am aware that once the car stays put for a day or more (after rain, washing etc) rust appears onto the disks. This is not the case. Rust indeed comes but once I drive/break, it wears off. These are actually some carvings/gaps on top of the rear disks, it's worse on the right side. I believe some smaller stones have got between the pads+disks?

I also own a 04 Citroen Xsara estate which has B-part disks in the back and those are over a year old - they shine like a mirror, nothing but smoothness.

I went to the service some time after I noticed it. The reply was that everything works as intended (no excessive friction etc).

The condition of the disks just keeps getting worse and I am not aware how long the warranty is for those. Should I contact them again or apply for replacements in the back?

All help is appreciated

Jiffy

Where you can see 'rust' on the disc area itself is common when it has got wet and left to dry.  Common when you wash the car on a warm day, that just comes off after using the brakes for a few miles.  As for the outer and inner parts, (around the disc itself) probably not ideal and worth raising it with the dealer.

My Mk5 Golf GTI had this for years.  I used to whip the wheels off every so often and scrub it back with a wire brush.  I owned that car for 8 years and it never got any worse.

Both the rear discs on my 2012 vRS look like your photo of the rear right disc on your car.  The rear discs were like it when I purchased the car at 15 months/9-1/2K miles and now at over 4 years and 37K miles they are no worse.  At both services the dealer recommended that they should be changed.  The car has passed two MOTs with no mention of the rear discs.  In a discussion with the MOT tester he suggested that the discs be changed when the pads need changing - plenty of life left in them at the moment.  

Edited by philbes

you're not going to get discs under warranty - they are a wear and tear item. nothing unusual from the wear i can see in those pics.

if you want them to look shiny - do some hard braking :)

Thanks for the replies, I'll be in contact with the dealer then.

My other issues have been the following:

1. http://imgur.com/uOdFt3p - This was after a 30 min drive. Previously my auto-phile of a friend, who is the only 1 I trust to wash the car, noticed a lot of humidity getting into the headlights + fog lights (which supposedly is normal) and suggested to ask the service. The left one well turned for the worse and the service decided to swap it out. I think this is still an open subject, the other 3 front lights have less humidity/fog in them.

2. The right scrolling knob on the steering wheel stopped working - replaced.

3. Some protective "thing" was not added to the front axle by the factory, was reordered. "Thing" - because I'm not finnish and I did not find a way to translate it. :)

4. 4 plastic corks for the rim bolts have somehow disappeared (either the company that swapped those broke them or did not fasten them properly) - ordered new ones myself.

5. A lot of noise issues. I am really a pedantic person so you can imagine the pain I cause them. Noises: The storage box in front of the gear shift was eventually replaced - crackling noise. Both B-pillars have extra padding/insulation added due to noise. The right side of the passenger seat, where the plastic cover with the electric controls are, was the recent noise issue which also had some two-way tape added. Last but not least, underneath the speaker of the drivers door, where the "elbow rest" is also had some tape added.

Also when we received the car there was a nice scratch on top of the hood http://imgur.com/V0Xm8xJ - have not fixed that yet. Probably hoping a wax will help in autumn.

• Like 1

I think this is a common problem with the vRS because the front brakes are so big the back does little braking.

Perhaps one of the reasons (apart from cost) the TDI vRS now has small er front disc ???

There are a couple of other threads about rear brake discs pitting/scratching or dissintegrating completely.

It would seem difficult to get them replaced by your dealer as they are "wear-and-tear" items.

The only advice I have read is that you should make some stronger braking a few times to clean-off the rust from the top surface.

Regarding the "noises", this seems a normal thing from other people on the forum.

I know my Octavia has lots of rattles from the door card, air vents & Dashboard trim.

They have to save money somewhere when the chassis & powertrain are the same as the Golf I guess.

3. Some protective "thing" was not added to the front axle by the factory, was reordered. "Thing" - because I'm not finnish and I did not find a way to translate it. :)

Kotelosuojaa vai jokin tuulenohjain?

I might be able to translate...

Kotelosuojaa vai jokin tuulenohjain?

I might be able to translate...

"Tuotannossa on jäänyt asentamatta vetoakselin sisemmän murroksen suojus. Tästä johtuen tehdas haluaa että autoonne vaihdetaan toisenlainen sisemmän murroksen kumi ja asennetaan sen suojus."

They have forgot to replace the leading axles interior ... protection? That's about as my finnish goes :)

Do you think the rattles and noise you are expiring could be temperature  related. You live in a cold country in the winter so plastic might shrink or go brittle causing problems with noise

Just a thought,

For the storage compartment I did believe that (it is that shiny kind of a plastic that my gf really likes.. and it did sound like it was caused by cold and would disappear after the car is warmed up) at first, but it continued when the outdoor temperatures were constantly above 10C. And the door + passenger side issues both appeared in spring - from my logic it would sound as if the 15 C out here is causing that.

Thanks for the input.

I did ask the mechanic that handles all the work needing to be done on my old Xsara (replacements etc) about the disks. He said that they don't look as they should and that I ought to try to get those replaced under warranty. I suppose this won't go easily.

Do you think the rattles and noise you are expiring could be temperature related. You live in a cold country in the winter so plastic might shrink or go brittle causing problems with noise

Just a thought,

My car doesnt rattle or creak when its cold(-10 to -20 deg c). Only the sunroof has creaked, and that is when water has frozen in the small cracks between the glass and roof.

"Tuotannossa on jäänyt asentamatta vetoakselin sisemmän murroksen suojus. Tästä johtuen tehdas haluaa että autoonne vaihdetaan toisenlainen sisemmän murroksen kumi ja asennetaan sen suojus."

They have forgot to replace the leading axles interior ... protection? That's about as my finnish goes :)

Google suggests:

"Production has been installing the drive shaft of the inner upheaval cap. As a result, the factory wants to change the car by another kind of transition of the inner rubber and mounted on the cover."

I'm going to guess at "gaiter", but I Am Not A Car Mechanic.

Apparently there's a protective plate to cover drive shaft inner CV joint which wasn't installed. Not quite sure what that is but they've changed the joint boot and installed the cover.

• Like 1