Help with repair costs for diffuser

Hi all,

Here's a small bit of background info, just so you understand my issue.

I'm on holiday in france in my 2010 Superb estate, the engine light comes on and the manual tells me i have an exhaust issue. After a little hiccup i get the car looked at by a Skoda garage and they tell me that it's the (in french) dephaseur. I'm fluent in french but not fluent in car, but I understood that this is part of the distribution system from what was explained to me by the mechanic.

I am weighing up my options and it would really help me to know what sort of costs id expect to pay for work on the distribution system at a Skoda garage in the UK. I understand that there will not be an exact cost, but Minimum and maximum costs would really help.

Also, if anyone knows French

If the car is drivable, it might be better to get it home before you get any work done. Alternatively, your insurance company might have an assistance service for stuff like this - could be worth a phonecall.

Have been onto the garage and it is the 'déphaseur d'arbre à cames' which translates as 'cam shaft shifter', whatever one of those is when it's at home. Any ideas? Does this make more sense?

That's variable valve timing - Del Boy was spot on.

Agree with you and Del8oy too. I  asked a Belgian friend on a BMW board I was a member of about it and he replied "Vanos" - which is definitely the BMW term for variable valve timing.

I really hope for LucyLastics sake that it is less of a pain in the butt (and the wallet) that it could be on those cars.

Didn't knew they had vvt or is that only petrol?

They have it on the diesels too - the latest have a double setup with the VVT on intake as well as exhaust. I think they first started using VVT on some of the oil burners around 2009.

RAC has been amazing. Hire car as soon as they could get one (BMW Gran Tourer 218) with Isofix points for our daughter's car seat. They've finally managed to find a garage that can do the work, although the guy said he'd never had to do it before, so fingers crossed he doesn't have half a dozen bits left over at the end. He ordered the part through the Skoda garage we had taken it to for diagnostics; they couldn't do the work for another fortnight and, well, lovely as it is to still be in France, we do need to go home at some stage.

So hurrah for lovely friends for putting us up for a week, for the RAC European assistance, for the Skoda garage in Hérouville Saint Clair near Caen and to my OH for parenting the entire week seeing as he doesn't speak French!

Apparently, the bill shouldn't be more than 2,000€, but I don't believe that, given the way the guy was talking. It's going to cost us a fortune.

And we couldn't even vote.

*cries*