Damaged wheels

I've scraped mine as well, very annoying.  And yes, it's a full refurb or new wheel job.  You'll be lucky to get a mobile bloke to touch them, although he may be able to "make them look better"

Diamond cut on a lathe then lacquered. I'm not gonna bother the wife has a magnetic attraction to kerbs I'll have them powder coated shadow chrome in winter, far more durable finish but it won't be kerb proof

They appear to be made of cheese. I cannot believe the amount of damage from a kerbstone at what amounted to touching it at less than one mph.

I drove over the nearside kerbs opposite my house as I drove into our road yesterday at 5-10 Mph, luckily I managed inadvertantly to go over the dropped kerb first and dropped off. Never done it before and never damaged a wheel on my MkII or this one, checked thfor damage by taking it for a drive today. Unfortunately if you push the weight of your car against a kerb even at 1 mph it's asking a lot of a soft/light metal not to scratch or dent.

When I sold my VRS I couldn't get anyone to do a repair so it was a whole refurb, they also couldn't match the colour of the wheels so I had to do all 4 wheels (although it looked better than standard)

Cost me about £300, took them 8 hours to do

I kerbed a diamond cut on a TT I had, nightmare !!!! Some wheel dealers wouldn't touch it, others said it would have to be sent away, and take approx 1 week. As I didn't have a spare, that was no good.

Anyway, I've repaired a kerbed alloy before, and it's actually quite simple, so I decided to have a go at the diamond cut...I had nothing to lose.

Apology for the poop pic, but, this was after I'd done it myself..... The black line shows approx the area kerbed, and the 'arrow' down shows the only part of the repair visible after I'd finished. I'm quite sure if I'd taken the tyre off, I would have sorted that too:-) 

post-20773-0-33990200-1466695948_thumb.jpg

The joys of diamond cut alloys.

Don't worry about the scuffs, within 30 seconds of the warranty expiring they'll delaminate anyway.

A very common problem with these wheels, the polished effect is by simply applying clearcoat lacquer over the polished metal i.e no paint protection at all.

As soon as the lacquer is chipped or scratched water gets underneath and they delaminate, often referred to as white worm.

An extreme case but a clear case of form over function I'm afraid...

vw-silver-bad.jpg

That's pretty good, what did you use?

Very fine wet and dry...I used little to no pressure, ensuring the paper was kept very wet all the time, whilst constantly cleaning the area...A bit like a tattoo artist does. Patience is the key.................

As soon as the lacquer is chipped or scratched water gets underneath and they delaminate, often referred to as white worm.

ive already had one replaced on my golf due to this and the wife has a 15 plate clio and all 4 have it, not even 12 months old. these fancy wheels look great but just dont last long at all, ill stick to 1 colour next time

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 1

I kerbed my vrs Gemini (std silver ones) and had them done by a mobile guy and back to new now! Don't understand why it will need full refurb?

Don't think the silver ones are diamond cut? If not then they can just be repaired, painted or touched up silver where as a diamond cut wheel has to be repaired, painted, machined on a lathe and then clear coated to be perfect.

I've had two of mine done at pristine wheels at etyres expense after they damaged them. They were ever so slightly different in colour and the machined face is a smidge wider but as the new vs original are on different side of the car you can't tell

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are touch up paints or pens preferably that I can obtain to make my 19' Xtremes look a little better?

the car came with 2 moderately scuffed alloys, both passenger sides.

Does anyone know if there are touch up paints or pens preferably that I can obtain to make my 19' Xtremes look a little better?

the car came with 2 moderately scuffed alloys, both passenger sides.

The silver face of the extremes are diamond cut - ie done on a machine and the silver finish is actually the shiny alloy - this is then covered in clear coat. Any touch up would still stand out and look little better than they are now. You would need to get an extremely ( :nerd: ) bright silver in order for it to remotely resemble the cut alloy finish.

The silver face of the extremes are diamond cut - ie done on a machine and the silver finish is actually the shiny alloy - this is then covered in clear coat. Any touch up would still stand out and look little better than they are now. You would need to get an extremely ( :nerd: ) bright silver in order for it to remotely resemble the cut alloy finish.

Was thinking more to the painted parts of the wheels

post-101080-0-66879100-1469021160_thumb.jpeg

Edited by VRS_Dan

Bummer. Maybe try to get the code from Skoda and have Halfords or chipex make up a tin/bottle.

You could try Peugeot Steel grey - looks like a fair match

Course this wouldn't happen if you didn't get those awful Xtremes. I wish I could see what people see in such an ugly wheel.

• Like 1

Course this wouldn't happen if you didn't get those awful Xtremes. I wish I could see what people see in such an ugly wheel.

Be a dull old world if we all liked the same thing.

I wasn't convinced to start with, but as they happened to be already fitted to my ex-demo VRS I have learned to like them. They look good with the grey paint and red callipers...IMHO of course.

• Like 3

If you check, the OP states he has "standard vrs wheels" so probably Gemini or Pictoris wheels? 

Thought they were the standard as most VRS's seem to have them.

Bummer. Maybe try to get the code from Skoda and have Halfords or chipex make up a tin/bottle.

You could try Peugeot Steel grey - looks like a fair match

I have a tin of Anthracite Grey from when I fitted a colour coded bonnet strut to my previous Octavia - might spray something up and compare the colour (obviously as a temporary repair/cover up)

The Gemini are diamond cut as well...

I've only seen one VRS without Gemini wheels to be fair!

But only the Anthracite Grey ones. Mine is silver colour and it`s not diamond cut but kerbed  :dull:

But only the Anthracite Grey ones. Mine is silver colour and it`s not diamond cut but kerbed :dull:

I'm sure a silver touch up will work just fine then... Will surley look better than bare kerbing. Dealer might well sell a touch up pen in the right colour. Kerbing on the anthracite ones stand out even more!