Tyres - which to choose

I need to replace 2 tyres on my 05 1.4 16V estate. I'm currently running standard alloys, but want to put back my VRS 16 inch Spiders.

There are so many options and i dont know which to choose from.

If money wasnt an issue, which tyres would you buy in order from best to worst.

On a budget, which are the best budget tyres?

thanks in advance.

Edited by entapryz

Always buy the best you can afford, in my opinion.

I would be looking at: Bridgestone, Good Year, Continental and perhaps Uniroyal.

I would recommend Good Year Eagle F1's, I think they were around £70 a corner.

They outperform the previous tyres which were Toyo Proxes, which were cheaper by about ten pounds or so.

Uniroyal (I think) 'Rainsports' get a good review from people on here.

Don't forget to make sure your pressures are correct, tracking is Bob on and there aren't any camber issues. Otherwise the money you put into the tyres will very quickly be wasted.

JRJG

What size are they? Some people may suggest tyres that you can't get in your size.

205/45/16 would be standard if he's on the 16" spiders. Not sure on the size for the 17's.

Personally, were I not doing the miles I do, I'd rather buy a partworn premium from a decent seller than a new budget. 

I'm running Avon ZV5's, very good tyre, I'd compare it to a lot of premiums. The only downside is they can be a bit noisy.

A lot of people seem to go with the Uniroyals on these, and I've certainly no reason to have anything against them. There were some really good prices on them a few weeks ago when I looked. 

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 1

205/45/16 would be standard if he's on the 16" spiders. Not sure on the size for the 17's.

I didn't see he was wanting vRS spiders, I was assuming he wanted advice on his standard alloys which I wasn't sure if they were 14 or 15 inches. I think he edited the post whilst I was writing it, adding the spiders.

So 205/45 16 (for Mk1 vRS) or  205/40 17 (Mk2 vrs). I will assume the standard Mk1 Spiders.

I need to replace 2 tyres on my 05 1.4 16V estate. I'm currently running standard alloys, but want to put back my VRS 16 inch Spiders.

There are so many options and i dont know which to choose from.

If money wasnt an issue, which tyres would you buy in order from best to worst.

On a budget, which are the best budget tyres?

thanks in advance.

Money No Object: Michelin PS3 - Very expensive, I have no experience but probably give good grip and hard wearing.

Good premiums: Continental, Bridgestone, Goodyears. I am currently Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2s which I like. They give good wet and dry grip and last quite a while. The only downside is they don't like the cold in winter (most summer tyres don't anyway). The Goodyears have gone down in price so they are quite reasonable.

Budget: Uniroyal RS3. As a rain tyre they are brilliant in the wet, not bad in dry too. However some people (including me) complain they are soft and don't last long. Kumho and Hankook seam to get good reviews on here.

Worst tyres ie DO NOT BUY: Any cheap (Chinese) budgets, Langlong (or whatever they are called), NanKing, triangle, Sunny, etc. Remember tyres are the only things that keep you on the road!

Always buy the best you can afford, in my opinion.

I would be looking at: Bridgestone, Good Year, Continental and perhaps Uniroyal.

I would recommend Good Year Eagle F1's, I think they were around £70 a corner.

They outperform the previous tyres which were Toyo Proxes, which were cheaper by about ten pounds or so.

Uniroyal (I think) 'Rainsports' get a good review from people on here.

Don't forget to make sure your pressures are correct, tracking is Bob on and there aren't any camber issues. Otherwise the money you put into the tyres will very quickly be wasted.

JRJG

very good advise in your answer

I didn't see he was wanting vRS spiders, I was assuming he wanted advice on his standard alloys which I wasn't sure if they were 14 or 15 inches. I think he edited the post whilst I was writing it, adding the spiders.

So 205/45 16 (for Mk1 vRS) or  205/40 17 (Mk2 vrs). I will assume the standard Mk1 Spiders.

:thumbup:

Oops

Anyway, I'd say

Budget:General, Barum (both made by Continental)

Mid: Hankook (EVO 2 or ventus primes, v good all round, EVO 2 prob better grip of the 2), Falken.

Top end: Good Year all day long