Carrying bikes on the roof of the Octavia

After some advice, at the moment I have a roof mounted bike rack that I can comfortably fit 2 bikes on, but my two younger sons are now keen to join me and my eldest son on some more adventurous trips.  What the maximum number that people have experience of carrying?

Many thanks

You can always fit two bikes at the back if you don't think they will fit on the roof.

I never had a problem with my last car with the carrier that clips into the boot gap & rests against the boot/bumper.

Its a bit fiddly sometimes to get the bikes in the correct order/place to avoid handlebar & pedals touching things but once they are in its fairly stable.

Rodge, on 06 Jul 2016 - 20:02, said:

So the weight of four bikes should be fine (unless they're tandems or something).

pretty much

Skoda is the sponsor to the Tour de France and I've seen them carry up to seven bikes on the roof.

Myself I have a very simple & cheap (meaning: heavy steel/aluminum) roof rack with 4 rails so four bikes tops. Not an issue at all.

Depends how wide the roof rails are more than anything. I have Thule wingbar edge which dont extend past the roof rails and Thule 598 bike carriers and could just fit 3 bikes on ( if the middle one was mounted back to front ). The plus side is I leave the rails on all the time as they are silent and don't cause drag like the full size ones do

13446289_10154258397992806_367007186_o_z

Edited by carrock