Life after 40K

Hi All. I am new to the forums and also to Skoda. I have had my car for a little over two years now and as it is for work done some 40K ish mile. There are a lot of things that I have found great about the car, Columbus wow's everyone that gets in for the first time!

There are two point I would like to see if other drives are experiencing though.

The first is that the road noise seems to be quite excessive at high speed (anything over 50). This is not so bad for me on my own as I just turn up the radio, however when I am with the family or, worse still on the phone the noise (to other people) is bad. Is this normal?

The second and for me the more annoying one si that whenever it is raining the windows all steam up. This is regardless of where the AC is on or not and can only be cleared (temporally) by either turning on the front and rear heaters or turning the AC to MAX. The only odd thing I have noticed is that if the car has been parked then there is a small amount of water on the sills when you open the front doors.

Any help or experiences would be gratefully received. On the whole I am happy with the car it is just these two small bugbears :).

Thanks

Road noise is unfortunately normal given the price you are paying for such a car.

You can perhaps improve it:by choosing a different tyre next time you change (tyre websites have european noise ratings now so you can compare tyres for noise, economy & wet performance).

You can also perhaps add the rubber mat to the boot to deaden the sound but in the end you are always fighting against the lack of sound deadening in the build process.

For condensation on the Windows there were a couple of other threads about this you can try to search for.

Some were caused by leaky panoramic roof if I remember correctly or water leaking in causing a lot of dampness in the carpets/footwells.

My car has done 60k km and I dont have any signs of moisture in the car at all (but the climate is a bit different here than the UK).

Road noise isn't the best, could defo do with decent soundproofing.

They do tend to mist up if you get in the car with slightly rain damped clothes. Usually the 'demist windscreen' switch clears it quickly and it stays off. Maybe try a glass cleaner on the inside, in case there's something on the glass ? 

If you find the front doors/sills drip a fair bit of water after it's rained, there are modified door seals available.

Thats a good point about cleaning the Windows.

Keeping them clean during the first year helps a lot with misting as it seems the plastics of the Dashboard release some chemical residue.

In the first few months I had to clean quite often.

Do you have a panoramic roof or the problem with water collecting in the door seal when the car has been washed or stood in rain?

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured that these would be known or standard ‘faults’. The water on the door sill is not too bad but I will mention it on the next service. The sound issue is compounded by the fact the most UK roads are, well let’s face it crap. Like I said it is not so bad as I spend most of the time in the car on my own but I guess there has to be a compromise somewhere. The misiting issue was the strange one in that, even I have been driving for 60+ miles, hit some rain, car windscreen starts to mist up. I did opt  for the heat front screen (company car so you have got to spend ALL the pennies), so like I said I can live and be happy with it I was just curous if this was unique to me (which it seams not).

Thanks for the help peeps!

Edited by Pugles

52k on my white tdi estate and absolutely no bother at all. Water pump fault about 3k ago but all replaced trouble free and question free under warrantee. Usual stuff like front brakes replaced. Did it my myself with pagid discs and pads from euro car parts for less than skoda want for 1 disc.

Road noise is purely down to tyres. I had contis on then put winters on from November to March and they were silent. Now have 19's on with vredestein ultrac vorits and they are a little noisier than the nokian winters but a lot better than the contis.

Also if you haven't already have a proper hunter 4 wheel alignment/geo set up done. That'll reduce some noise as everything will be tracking and cambered right. Tyre wear will be greatly improved