Variable Boot Floor for Fabia (Estate/Combi/Wagon)

Can't be supplied with a Variable Boot Floor by Skoda Australia - they won't supply either as a part option or even on ordering it fitted on a factory ordered delivery. So I could

1. buy one from a seller somewhere in the world. So can anyone suggest a seller so I can contact them for a price (item + delivery cost to Australia of course)?

2. make one as one post suggests (eg high density polyurethane or MDF plus some carpet). Probably cheaper but anyone with experience doing this?

I've found that the variable boot floor in my wife's Polo has mixed "blessings":- For, you get lazy and stuff lots of useful stuff (shopping bags, emergency clothes etc) under there and out of sight - leaving the upper boot area looking nice and tidy. Against, when you need to carry something bigger in the rear of the car it is seats down and then spend a lot of time gathering everything hidding below the false floor up and dumping it somewhere (note previously all this stuff was stored in containers at the side of the full depth boot, so could be quickly removed - that was in previous old 2003 Polo). Also, I still have not got a clue as to how VAG thought you could lift the semi floppy lower boot covering and "hint" it up so that you can remove the spare wheel!  I'm just trying to offer the feelings from someone that has that raised second boot floor - that is all.

Itza OEM in my Fab. But... really dont know if I fancy it. Keeping some tools deep down the floor is mostly a bit annoying, and I suppose any burglar know of the gadget, if anything is left underneath. Anyway, the boot curtain prohibits insight.

If ever you consider to cut a floor from plywood be sure the slots for the upper position is present i your car.

I like the variable boot floor in my Polo. I usually keep it on the high with first aid kit, torch, hi vizs' blanket, bulbs etc underneath. There is usually enough space for weekly shopping on top under the parcel shelf. I'd spec one on a new Fabia.

Got the VBF with my Fab Combi, from new.

Played with it, and the Simply Clever bits for a few months. The Simply Clever is the netting and the plastic hoop ( what is it - a bottle holder or something?!).

I found the VBF just uses up too much space - I prefer to have all of the boot space available.

The height difference at the back seats did not bother me at all - as long loads just sit quite comfortably across the seat backs and the boot floor.

The VBF now resides in the garden shed. (I'm sure postage to OZ would be crazy !  And I really wouldn't waste my time, or yours!!)

Also, as I recall - it didn't play well with the Simply Clever pieces. Certainly not the Plastic Hoop - which was given very little attention in Design. It could have been made to work, with extra notches in the wheel arches and differently spaced hooks on the hoop.

The hoop doesn't work with either the VBF or the Rubber Mat. The locating hooks are just a smidge off with the rubber mat.

Not terribly Clever.

The hoop now lives in my garden shed too.

The netting is the only useful thing I found. It still lives in the car.

The base net didn't work well with the VBF, as I recall. It can only work in the base section - where it attaches to the cargo loops. So you'd have to lift VBF to get to net and access to net wasn't great then, if I remember correctly.

The side netting is really useful for throwing odds and ends into so they don't roll around. I keep a couple of umbrellas under the base net - between the base net and the rubber mat. The side nets are great for things like footballs (base net), tennis and golf balls (side nets).

The rubber mat works on both the VBF and the base floor. ( I have two rubber mats - as I got one before realising the car was going to be supplied with one - might have been a dealer special. Second rubber mat also resides in garden shed too - still in original wrapper until I get around to selling it on)

Like the useless cornering fogs, the heated windscreen washer option, I really wouldn't bother with the VBF in the Fabia, if I were buying again. Save the money towards better audio gear or suspension or something. And buy the Simply Clever bits from Superskoda - as you just buy the bits you need - and not be left with a plastic hoop in your garden shed!!

My tuppence worth!

Edited by Dithane
  • Like 1

I love my variable floor. I had to get it as my main/only reason for getting the fabia estate was because my golf clubs fitted in perfectly into the space behind the wheel arches. thr variable floor is at the same height as those extra spaces. Does that make sense?!

I like the space under the VF - I keep my empty shopping bags in there, some car cleaning wipes and other odds and ends.

Also when I put my seats down I put them flat but pulling up the rear seats then folding the backs down - the variable floor makes it all one level - love it!!

Dithane - do the rubber mats got in top of the variable floor? I'm looking at buying one to stop my golf bag making a mess of my boot.

I love my variable floor. I had to get it as my main/only reason for getting the fabia estate was because my golf clubs fitted in perfectly into the space behind the wheel arches. thr variable floor is at the same height as those extra spaces. Does that make sense?!

I like the space under the VF - I keep my empty shopping bags in there, some car cleaning wipes and other odds and ends.

Also when I put my seats down I put them flat but pulling up the rear seats then folding the backs down - the variable floor makes it all one level - love it!!

Dithane - do the rubber mats got in top of the variable floor? I'm looking at buying one to stop my golf bag making a mess of my boot.

Yep - last question first : yes, the rubber mat works well on the VBF.

I used the VBF (with the rubber mat) for a while. And yes, it gives a nice neat look, like you're talking about.

I'm just not that neat a guy, though.  My Fabia is a bit of a work-horse for tools and rough weather gear and all-sorts, and I just realised that I needed direct access to ALL of the space in the boot ! The VBF wasn't helping me really. I ordered it, because I thought it would be a good idea.

It was, for a while.

But things got busier, and then it just seemed to get in my way. It was too difficult to access stuff under the VBF, with a lot of heavy gear on the VBF. That's when I ditched it.

Carrying larger, long loads with the seats folded down, turned out to be fine - that step just was not a problem. It's easy to slip supports under stuff if it needed it. Furniture and IKEA boxes pop to mind : transported two tall BILLY bookcases and their doors in the car, no problem. (The young IKEA guy who helped me load them was stunned when I closed the hatch down and he saw it was a Fabia - he was sure it was an Octavia, because he helped someone load one the previous day. And his dad had one too !! )

So - I appreciate you bringing some neat balance to the thread !! :)  

• 9 months later...

No extra parts needed just slides straight in and sits on the trims already there. I got one as it now sits level with the bumper and makes getting the pram in and out easier for the missus as can just pull it straight out without having to lift it up now

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Xavier54 said:

I would also like to make a VBF with MDF. Can someone post photos and dimensions?

Part number is 6V9 861 529 and there's currently one for sale in Germany on ebay.

Width is 954mm

Length is 910mm at its longest (curved at tailgate end)

There are images on Google. There are two areas that may be troublesome,

1-The attachments at the seat end which holds them in place and allows it to pivot easily

2-The thickness at the curved end that is profiled to allow it to sit on the fixed plastic trim

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Neil.

Here are the pictures:

The top side of the pivot bracket

IMG_0546.thumb.JPG.b4268b11a0c8b6f4e2c90253cbbc327a.JPG

The bottom side of the pivot bracket

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.b248f9def35a98e52f315951e58c8b6a.JPG

The hinged back strip

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.c4f8cfd47b95f02287031510381d20fe.JPG

The hinged back strip open

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.f45be1127cbea480e291f3607515191c.JPG

The bottom of the curved tailgate end showing the profile on the end

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.43f92c6a12cf7103e102d29423d77bf6.JPG