1.4 TSI 150 vs 1.8 TSI 180 option

Is there anyone with those two power units ?

I'm interested in day to day driving so the mileage is an aspect. Beside I want to be in control when making an overtake so power it is important also.

From the spritmonitor.de I see the 1.8 TSI gasoline is more over the average mileage of what I was expecting.

The 1.4 TSI gasoline is doing a great job with mileage but I don't know how's doing on overtaking or mountain roads.

One important aspect is that I cannot order the 1.8 TSI in Ambition level. For the 1.8 you have to choose the Style level which is 4K more.

I'm on the 1.4 TSI side but if that's not enough ?

The 1.4 TSI does 250Nm until 3500rpm.

The 1.8 TSI does 320Nm with manual gearbox until 3900rpm.

I have an experience with earlier 2.0 TDI and 140 BHP which was ok but I don't like diesels that much.

I understand in UK it's not available.

Here I have this option onto Superb 3: 1.8 TSI 180ps , 320Nm with manual and 250Nm with DSG. I'm for the manual gearbox.

But the 1.8 TSI is paired with the highest level of trim and it's at least 4K more than de Ambition - medium level which I'm interested in.

My first option is for the 1.4 TSI. I wanted some real facts if that's enough for everyday and weekend rides.

Thanks!

It is hard to decide what is good for You but when i drove a 1.4tsi passat it was surprisingly enough. But that is my feeling. When i drove 1.8tsi, it was like everywhere enough and strongly powerful.

1.4. - you feel mmmm it is enough

1.8 - you feel woow , it is strong:)

From Tapatalk

• Like 1

I find that for 95% of the time my 150 1.4 TSI suffices quite satisfactorily.

Sometimes you can't overtake quite as you'd like on single carriageway roads. And you can't pull out into the outside lane of the motorway and expect to instantly put on 10mph to slot into a gap without impending the car coming up fast.

That said, it's a great engine and after 10,000 miles my long term average economy is around 50mpg according to Fuelly.

• Like 1

I find that for 95% of the time my 150 1.4 TSI suffices quite satisfactorily.

Sometimes you can't overtake quite as you'd like on single carriageway roads. And you can't pull out into the outside lane of the motorway and expect to instantly put on 10mph to slot into a gap without impending the car coming up fast.

That said, it's a great engine and after 10,000 miles my long term average economy is around 50mpg according to Fuelly.

That's a great way to differentiate the two, I think. I also love the way Juhagpl explained it! I'm surprised that the 1.4 TSI results in not being able to pull into the outside lane and gain some brisk acceleration though. In my 2.0 TSI 220 (very different beast, I know) it's much more a case of being very careful not to put on TOO much speed very quickly... Is your car a manual or DSG? Wondering whether you're just driving it on the torque rather than using the top end for maximum acceleration? The Superb mk3 weighs just 1,450KG and with 150ps it should easily be capable of that. My previous car (Mazda 6 tourer with 2.0 naturally aspirated petrol) had only 145ps and was heavier, but would easily accelerate in that situation. You just had to row the gears properly and be well into the power band (part of the fun and engagement of a good NA engine!). Just a random thought, sorry.

kpk1 - I would say get the most powerful engine you can afford. If you are spending many thousands of Pounds/Euros/Dollars/Shekels on a new car, a couple of MPG here or there fades into insignificance when considering the overall costs (depreciation, taxes, servicing etc). You can always be sorry you don't have enough power, but I've never met anyone who was sorry they had 'too much' power. :D  I was about to link you to the "1.4 TSI - is it enough?" thread, but I see you've already posted in it.

For someone who drives mostly around town, or only short journeys then of course the smaller engines with maximum economy are the best option. But for general driving, especially long distance or sporty driving, you want the biggest engine you can possibly have in order to have the greatest refinement, least stress on the car and most enjoyment for the driver. Just my opinion. :thumbup:

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

I had the same question as you did about 6 months ago.

1.4 ACT vs 1.8.

I chose 1.4 , ofc 1.8 is more powerful, but the 1.4 engine is far more better than I expected. The last car I drove was 2009 3.0 tdi A6 quattro.

The main thing is that I havent had to change anything the way I drive. And thats a very important thing. Just compare the engines, 171kw vs 110kw. The 1.4 is very good, it costs less and 1.8 was and propably will remaina very very problematic engine.

Atleast in Eastern Europe these engines have been like the 3rd revenge of Hitler!????

• Like 1

I had the same question as you did about 6 months ago.

1.4 ACT vs 1.8.

I chose 1.4 , ofc 1.8 is more powerful, but the 1.4 engine is far more better than I expected. The last car I drove was 2009 3.0 tdi A6 quattro.

The main thing is that I havent had to change anything the way I drive. And thats a very important thing. Just compare the engines, 171kw vs 110kw. The 1.4 is very good, it costs less and 1.8 was and propably will remaina very very problematic engine.

Atleast in Eastern Europe these engines have been like the 3rd revenge of Hitler!????

What you mean with 1.8 problems? I've had it for a bit over 3 years now with zero problems and haven't really heard of any major problems. Oil consumption zero. Quite thirsty though on gasoline.

The 1.8TSI issues are with Euro 5 Emission Engines.

The Euro 6 Emission 1.8TSI are in plenty of the current models and with 192ps in the likes of the Polo GTI / Ibiza Cupra.

There are no major issues i know of, or even minor ones reported.

You do expect VW to get something right in the end if they have got so many wrong in the past.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK