Gearbox Issue?

Hi All,

Over the past year my 2003 Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDi Classic has slowly been developing an issue with 1st gear.

When I am at a standing stop and go to select 1st I find that roughly 60% of the time the gear knob only goes half way in to 1st before I come up against resistance. It's like there's one final thing that needs to slot in to place to engage 1st but it won't and the stick comes up against a brick wall. If I then return to neutral and select 1st it slides in normally. I am finding that more and more often when I pull away I need to half select 1st gear until I come up against resistance, then return to neutral, then fully select 1st. When it does go in to 1st there is never any crunching or grinding.

If I come to a stop, then slowly roll forward and select 1st it always goes in easily the first time. If I come to a stop, then roll backwards a tiny amount in neutral and try to select first it will always fail to go in to 1st the first time requiring that I try again. Sometimes two or three times before it goes in to 1st.

Purely for testing purposes I once tried applying a little force to the gear-stick when it came up against this "wall" and it did go in to 1st, however I wouldn't want to drive it this way as it felt like I could cause damage.

I've read up about resetting the gear linkages but have no idea if that cures this type of issue? I've also thought about getting the gearbox oil changed? Car is on 145,000 miles and probably has the original gearbox oil.

Other than this issue the car runs and drives perfectly. As good as new. Selecting every other gear is fine (but obviously i'm moving). Reverse Gear is also fine.

Thanks in advance for any help that you knowledgeable folks can offer.

Edited by Mrrnoname

To add to this i've since noticed that if I lift the clutch when the gear stick is against this "wall" and not quite in 1st gear the stick jumps in to 1st of it's own accord without me putting resistance on it.

Any gearbox experts about that might know what this signifies?

Thanks!

The problem when stationary is that the input shaft is rotating and the output shaft isn't, therefore double de-clutching will make no difference, there is insufficient drag from the synchro ring to slow the moving input shaft, this is caused either by a worn synchro ring, dragging clutch or a low oil level.

Cheap fixes are top up the gearbox oil so it's full to the brim and change the brake and clutch fluid if it hasn't been done for a while, doing both of these things will not cost much and should improve matters.