Cam Follower advise please

Hello all,

having done lots of research and searches i finally got down to inspecting my cam follower. I have had this mk2 vrs 2006 2.0TFSI for 6 months 3 owners before so unsure how it was driven prior or if its been tuned.

Much to my horror i saw that the cam follower was worn straight through and from the looks of it worn the hpfp lobe i believe? please see the pictures i have attached. 

I'd like some advise on what to do next my plan  was to tune the car with r tech but i may need a new fuel pump that a side am i driving a ticking time bomb? or are there some simple repairs i can do to get it running well again.

a strange problem i get is rough idle when stationary only when the car has warmed up however thes is  immediately gone if the car is on a decline and increases with the car on a incline any ideas?

Many thanks 

post-100567-0-00446600-1469898098_thumb.png

post-100567-0-44275300-1469898103_thumb.png

My fears exactly the only way I guess is to take the valve cover off and look? A friend of mine has suggested it however I'm sure it's not that simple?

I'd say at a minimum you'll need to replace the HPFP & follower, and the cam. Also drop the sump and hope the missing piece of follower is in there, and replace the oil pickup whilst it's off.

If you're not already, join the TFSI tuning group on Facebook, loads of info and knowledge on there.

• Like 1

Hello all,

having done lots of research and searches i finally got down to inspecting my cam follower. I have had this mk2 vrs 2006 2.0TFSI for 6 months 3 owners before so unsure how it was driven prior or if its been tuned.

Much to my horror i saw that the cam follower was worn straight through and from the looks of it worn the hpfp lobe i believe? please see the pictures i have attached.

I'd like some advise on what to do next my plan was to tune the car with r tech but i may need a new fuel pump that a side am i driving a ticking time bomb? or are there some simple repairs i can do to get it running well again.

a strange problem i get is rough idle when stationary only when the car has warmed up however thes is immediately gone if the car is on a decline and increases with the car on a incline any ideas?

Many thanks

That's shocking. I replaced mine as soon as i bought it. Only slight wear on the follower fortunately that was with 51k. What mileage has your car done?

That's shocking. I replaced mine as soon as i bought it. Only slight wear on the follower fortunately that was with 51k. What mileage has your car done?

I bought the car on 80,000 I've done 6 6000 since so at the moment 86,000

I bought the car on 80,000 I've done 6 6000 since so at the moment 86,000

It seems hit and miss the wear rate. Some have over 100k and just a little blackening. I can only presume your car has been driven fairly hard.

I had this on my 2006 vrs as well. Checked the cam and it was the revision 'a' one piece cam.

Ended up replacing the cam (with the latest revision which is 2 piece) and a new follower.

I'll be checking it again at its yearly service (Dec).

I had this on my 2006 vrs as well. Checked the cam and it was the revision 'a' one piece cam.

Ended up replacing the cam (with the latest revision which is 2 piece) and a new follower.

I'll be checking it again at its yearly service (Dec).

ah could you possible point me in the right direction for a upgrade on the cam? Also did you do the work yourself? at the minute ive put a new follower in becasue its my only car so still running it. in 2 weeks i want to have all the bits so i change all the bits in one go.

I'd say at a minimum you'll need to replace the HPFP & follower, and the cam. Also drop the sump and hope the missing piece of follower is in there, and replace the oil pickup whilst it's off.

If you're not already, join the TFSI tuning group on Facebook, loads of info and knowledge on there.

Thanks will do going to try do it all in a couple of weeks

ah could you possible point me in the right direction for a upgrade on the cam? Also did you do the work yourself? at the minute ive put a new follower in becasue its my only car so still running it. in 2 weeks i want to have all the bits so i change all the bits in one go.

I really wouldn't use the car, as if the cam lobe has been damaged it can chew up a new follower in just a few miles. Your HPFP piston looks damaged which will also eat the follower.

Plus the top of the old follower is still floating around inside somewhere!

Edited by Mr G 76

As above, I wouldn't recommend running the car until the cam etc has been checked and replaced if needed.

Here is the TSB on that particular fault : http://www.goapr.com/images/support/tsb/20t_cam_wear.pdf

and some more info: http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=656258

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/334200-20-tfsi-bwa-camshaft-hpfp-worn/

out of interest is the car running an uprated high pressure fuel pump?

Edited by Bogwoppit

As above, I wouldn't recommend running the car until the cam etc has been checked and replaced if needed.

Here is the TSB on that particular fault : http://www.goapr.com/images/support/tsb/20t_cam_wear.pdf

and some more info: http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=656258

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/334200-20-tfsi-bwa-camshaft-hpfp-worn/

out of interest is the car running an uprated high pressure fuel pump?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but it looks stock the guy I bought it off mentioned everything was stock so I'm kind taking his word for it and going by other pictures thanks for the links much appreciated. Just trying to hunt a guide down to tackle this....

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but it looks stock the guy I bought it off mentioned everything was stock so I'm kind taking his word for it and going by other pictures thanks for the links much appreciated. Just trying to hunt a guide down to tackle this....

This guide helped me when I replaced the Cam Chain and Tensioner on my VRS. The BPY engine is an American version of the UK BWA engine.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7013321-A-quick-D-I-Y-Cam-Chain-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines

I'm sure I have seen a guide for cam replacement, I will try looking for it.

This guide helped me when I replaced the Cam Chain and Tensioner on my VRS. The BPY engine is an American version of the UK BWA engine.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7013321-A-quick-D-I-Y-Cam-Chain-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines

I'm sure I have seen a guide for cam replacement, I will try looking for it.

Excellent thanks a lot I've been searching here and Google cannot seem to find it

I got the cam direct through a member on the audisport forum who is the parts manager at Audi. Pretty sure he's a member of here as well.

And yes, changed it over myself.

That's the guide I followed when changing mine.

i couldnt see on the guide anything about special tools if you used any which ones would i need? if you got the part number that would be helpful so i can buy them thanks

i couldnt see on the guide anything about special tools if you used any which ones would i need? if you got the part number that would be helpful so i can buy them thanks

Pretty certain I didn't have to get any special tools to do the job.