SD Card versus Memory stick in the Yeti

oldstan

The good lady and I have two cars between us. One is the Yeti and it has an SD card slot in the Bolero, as you all will know.  I didn't realise this and bought a Flash Drive by mistake.

The other car has a USB slot/socket and takes a Memory Stick (or is it better known as a Flash Drive?). Up to today I'd not used either (only had the cars five years, after all). But having ordered the Flash Drive, and received it today, I did a full "Format" and copied some music on to it and it works (in the other car, of course). Bingo! (by the way according to the handbook it doesn't work if you format it to anything other than FAT 32...and it's correct, it doesn't)

Like I say I ordered two memory sticks (both 32gb)...one for each car, but, as I now know, the Yeti has an SD card slot not a USB slot. So I have a surplus memory stick and an empty SD card slot in the Yeti.

Am I right in thinking that I just need to buy a standard SD card of, say, 32gb? The slot is a standard size.

Will it work in exactly the same way as the memory stick? The handbook is very brief on the topic.

Which is the more modern of the two...USB or SD? What do you get in a brand new car these days?

Thanks.

Edited by oldstan

The SD card suits me more because it does not stick out with the problem of it getting broken and perhaps the same to the USB socket.

I have over 100 CD albums on a 16GB SD card, more than that and it's difficult to find what you want to play, any more than that and I will put them on a 2nd card.

Ta for the quick reply.  From what you say I would gather they pretty much do the same thing...just in a different format?

Which is the more modern? .... what do they put in new cars?

One x 32gb might be a better bet though?

Not if you want to find Albums easily, I have over 100 albums recorded in .WMA at 192kbps and the 16Gb card is just over half full.

Ideally if I put all my CD collection onto SD I would split it over 2 cards, sorted perhaps by genre.

• Like 1

i use a 32 gb card, approaching 200 albums of varying genre, perhaps its just me, but i use the mix all function and the next track is always interesting - classical, rock mor etc - never boring!

Edited by Frenchtone

Since I lost 3 days of pictures and videos when using a camera with SD card which became corrupted I have always been  cautious when using them. I find the USB superior because:

- never lost a file even though I plug them in and out without being too delicate

- they are cheap and small, smaller than an SD card:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Flash-Drive-Mbps/dp/B00YFI1EBC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1469905214&sr=8-4&keywords=256gb+flash+drive

This is 1.9x1.6 cm vs a standard SD card which is 2.4x3.2 cm. And some are even smaller but I hate when they are too small because I loose them in my pockets

- the USB3 speed is huge, filling 128 GB is a matter of minutes. 

- you can just plug them into everything and read/write: pc, laptops. Some USB drives also come with a micro-usb connector and you just plug them into your phone, tablet and use them. Someone has some cool music on their phone just give them your usb and they will copy it. Most phones/tablets available in the last year support this function. With an SD card you need a dedicated reader.

Even though I have an empty SD slot on my Amundsen I keep my music on an USB key.

For less then 20 pounds you can get a 64GB class 10 card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=64+gb+sd+card+class+10&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A64+gb+sd+card+class+10

There is also the option to get the microSD card with the SD adapter to use it in the car and if you need you can take the micro card out and put it in your phone/tablet

Since I lost 3 days of pictures and videos when using a camera with SD card which became corrupted I have always been  cautious when using them. I find the USB superior because:

- never lost a file even though I plug them in and out without being too delicate

That's like saying if you have an accident going round a corner you will never go round that corner again.

+ the SD card has a lock on it to prevent accidental overwriting.

And it leaves the USB socket free to charge phones etc or even to use Smartlink on the newer models.

If I'm understanding this correctly the only ones I see there are USB to SD adaptors - not SD to USB. As per the OP I have an SD slot in the Yeti but have bought (in error) a USB Flash Drive.  But I could be mistaken....(I often am) :-)

I actually never used it in the Yeti but I guess you go to media and select USB as input source. I was using the USB on my previous car which didn't have bluetooth but had USB so I copied my music from the phone to the usb. Now I just stream the music from my phone through bluetooth. 

@Urrell: no, it means I will be more carefully in that corner, just like I am more carefully now when handling sd cards. If it's a set and forget in your car a SD is ok, I'm sure the navigation card is going to be fine there. It's the writing part which can cause problems. The USB you plug it and it connects directly to the PC. With an SD if you don't have a SD port (mine broke) I have to go through and SD reader and like I said it once corrupted my card (it wasn't the camera if this was understood) Also since I like carrying the media (now it's more for data than music) with me I find the plastic card to be more fragile and the connectors are exposed. Having a micro sd card is the best. I get huge storage on my phone, I always have it with me, I stream through bluetooth and if I actually need it in a SD slot I have an adapter. No more fiddling with external storage, all slots are free plus you can use any media player you can download on the phone instead of the incorporated one in the car.   

LE: I hope you don't hold a grudge against me for the other topic where I admitted I might have taken the situation too hard. But this time I was really trying to be helpful by explaining the advantages I get myself from using a USB instead of an SD card. I hope that this post explained better the kind of usage my storage media have to get through and that I understand others may have different needs. As you probably noticed English is not my first language and sometimes the message gets through on a different tone that what was intended. I did not mean to offend anyone or imply being smarter than anyone else on this forum

Edited by Alexul
  • Like 1

I actually never used it in the Yeti but I guess you go to media and select USB as input source. I was using the USB on my previous car which didn't have bluetooth but had USB so I copied my music from the phone to the usb. Now I just stream the music from my phone through bluetooth. 

@Urrell: no, it means I will be more carefully in that corner, just like I am more carefully now when handling sd cards. If it's a set and forget in your car a SD is ok, I'm sure the navigation card is going to be fine there. It's the writing part which can cause problems. The USB you plug it and it connects directly to the PC. With an SD if you don't have a SD port (mine broke) I have to go through and SD reader and like I said it once corrupted my card (it wasn't the camera if this was understood) Also since I like carrying the media (now it's more for data than music) with me I find the plastic card to be more fragile and the connectors are exposed. Having a micro sd card is the best. I get huge storage on my phone, I always have it with me, I stream through bluetooth and if I actually need it in a SD slot I have an adapter. No more fiddling with external storage, all slots are free plus you can use any media player you can download on the phone instead of the incorporated one in the car.   

Not sure if the above is for for my benefit. If it was, then thanks, BUT I've been saying all along that I don't have a USB socket on the Yeti ...I have an SD slot. So I can't see how I would  "go to media and select USB as input source".

Not sure if the above is for for my benefit. If it was, then thanks, BUT I've been saying all along that I don't have a USB socket on the Yeti ...I have an SD slot. So I can't see how I would  "go to media and select USB as input source".

Sorry for being offtopic. I was responding to Frenchtone who asked how to use the USB on amundsen.

But what do you think of streaming the music from your phone through BT? 

Edited by Alexul

Bolero has a 6cd changer and an SD card. No hard drive.

I thought it must not have , or by now somebody would have said "sod the SD and USB , use the hard drive" , but I just thought I'd check 

Bolero has a 6cd changer and an SD card. No hard drive.

I'll bet the latest Bolero's don't have any CD drives either.

• Like 1

I have found that if you download free software called 'double twist' it makes it far easier to sync your SD card or flash drive with your music collection. It keeps your iTunes (or whatever you use) play lists (or let's you choose which lists you want to transfer). It also makes it easy to update if you want to add new music or change the playlists.

Edited by Falmouthboy