MY 2017 no more PID?

1963Malc

For the price of a PID you could buy a cheap-and-cheerful Android phone, and still have enough money left over for a good trip to the Bingo hall.

A brand-new Motorola G4 is £169 on their website, for example. 

• Like 1

For the price of a PID you could buy a cheap-and-cheerful Android phone, and still have enough money left over for a good trip to the Bingo hall.

A brand-new Motorola G4 is £169 on their website, for example. 

but with all the security issues around android (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/latest_androids_have_god_mode_hack_hole/) I would not have one, and apples ethics and control over what I can do with my mobile?

those two may have the lions share of the smart phone market, but no thanks

loss of the PID to me is an own goal by skoda, I said that about the sad mirror link on the new fabia, and now they support the better android auto and apple car play, but neither of which would persuade me to buy a car (citigo, fabia or another brand / model) but I understand it could add value over a similar model when time to trade in. so if it had it on the vehicle I bought I wouldn't use it but it may help in the long run

It is better;

the £300 upgrade is dramatically cut, that can be passed on as purchase value, or spent on more standard features like twin window switches, and wheel controls, more airbags maybe?

You don't need to worry about phone security anymore than you do with your own phone, and I for one wouldn't use my main phone, I have several android smartphones left over from upgrades which I can use; they are worthless to sell, all it needs is wifi (tick) to install the app and bluetooth (tick) to talk to the car.

I can leave it in the car without a care. In theory I could bluetooth to my main phone for calls - or get a cheap payg SIM and tell the wife my "car number"

in fact I would rather spend £4.20 (current bid  - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-2nd-Generation-2014-Black-/201641268506?hash=item2ef2c1951a:g:FqQAAOSwaB5XqJb8) on a "incar" smart phone than £300 on a Pid

the phone will have way more apps and can do everything the pid does.

Edited by stooz

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call yesterday to say that our "Christmas Tree" spec had been migrated to MY2017 bits and would go into production in a few weeks to arrive in mid October, all being well. ????

I have a phone cradle in my Renault Twingo. You download an app called Renault R&Go and it integrates with the multimedia system via Bluetooth and provides access to radio functions, contacts, satnav, eco analysis etc. and on-screen rev counter. It even syncs to another app which keeps a tally of your mileage, car details and next two services. If Skoda do something similar it'll be pretty good.

If I'd ordered a car with the PID and received a car without it, I'd consider rejecting it at delivery or a hefty discount. Using the phone as the PID unit means extra wear and tear on phone, more battery charge / discharge cycles. Whichever way you cut it, there a loss of functionality.

I think I'm right in saying that in the terms and conditions you have to be notified of any spec changes and then you have a set time within which to cancel the contract and have your deposit returned. After that period it is treated the same as if you explicitly accepted them.

I agree.

What do you base that on?  (Though my personal experience shows that if she they can't operate a smartphone then operating the PID is also beyond her them!

Probably!

....but equally probably not. I can happily handle all the Apple devices in the house; iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPads and SWMBO's smartphone but I neither want, nor need, a smartphone of my own. My Nokia does everything I require of a 'phone. Require and 'phone being the operative words. I am certainly not alone in this respect. You need to understand that a lot of people choosing not to own a smartphone is no reflection on their ability to use the technology...or your experience is of a very narrow band of people.

Just thought you'd like to know. Or perhaps not.

I was wondering based on what survey was the statement that the majority of the customer base wouldn't have a smartphone.

And then I was having a gentle dig at my OH's technical skills. They'd be the first to acknowledge that.

My first and third sentences related to the removal of the PID and speculation on the price of a TomTom software licence.

That's all.

• 3 weeks later...

I for one hate the PID. Navigon were great until Garmin took over and added microtransactions for additional services and map updates. This for me seems like a much better, agnostic solution for whichever ecosystem ( Android, iOS, Windows, etc) you subscribe to. Too many manufacturers force a particular ecosystem on the buyer when really, we are buying a car, not a phone brand.

As for Android security, keep your phone up-to-date and employ reasonable and safe practices and you will never be sorry. Google navigation is hard to beat and if you have a live connection (i.e. a phone with mobile data) then traffic updates happen in near enough real time. The turn by turn directions are good and the maps will always be the latest. You could of course take your pick of many apps available.

I have a phone cradle in my Renault Twingo. You download an app called Renault R&Go and it integrates with the multimedia system via Bluetooth and provides access to radio functions, contacts, satnav, eco analysis etc. and on-screen rev counter. It even syncs to another app which keeps a tally of your mileage, car details and next two services. If Skoda do something similar it'll be pretty good.

We have a Twingo with the same system. It's decent enough, but there are better satnav apps available and half the time it's more trouble than it's worth to connect it up.

We have a Twingo with the same system. It's decent enough, but there are better satnav apps available and half the time it's more trouble than it's worth to connect it up.

I prefer Here - I recently got an option to use a different SatNav app within R&Go when it realised I had Here installed on the phone. I selected it and now it is the default. I have enabled auto start within the app too - so when I start the car the R&Go starts automatically. The not so good is that R&Go doesn't exit automatically when the ignition is switched off.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up our new Citigo on Friday - was told just before picking it up that 'it's got the new 2017 spec' and 'I quite like it!'

Have to have a big think and then have discussions - we ordered an SE L and specced it up with some of the packs - so to see that some of the packs we paid extra for now seem to be included in the new spec is slightly irking!

MrsVivsOH posted - Update - looks like the changes applied from 22/8/16 factory build to the SE L include as standard:-

- an updated radio with bigger screen, SD card (CD player gone) and 6 speakers
- phone holder and FOC TomTom app (PID gone)
- USB port
- new style 15" wheels
- rear parking sensors
- umbrella stored under passenger seat
- LED DRL in headlight pod
- Darkened rear light lenses
- New gear knob
- Climate control

We paid extra for more speakers and for rear parking sensors. No PID, but a funky phone holder. No mention of a free TomTom app. Yet we do not have climate control, I'm not sure about the rear light lenses as I have nothing to compare with!

The new headlamp set up has separate low and main beam modules, so no longer can you change the 'standard' twin filament H4 bulb to upgrade the headlamp performance. I tried taking the rubber backs off to see what the new bulbs are, but whatever they are appear to be 'star' screwed in - not very friendly!!

Edited by kaydee

Picked up our new Citigo on Friday - was told just before picking it up that 'it's got the new 2017 spec' and 'I quite like it!'

Have to have a big think and then have discussions - we ordered an SE L and specced it up with some of the packs - so to see that some of the packs we paid extra for now seem to be included in the new spec is slightly irking!

MrsVivsOH posted - Update - looks like the changes applied from 22/8/16 factory build to the SE L include as standard:-

- an updated radio with bigger screen, SD card (CD player gone) and 6 speakers

- phone holder and FOC TomTom app (PID gone)

- USB port

- new style 15" wheels

- rear parking sensors

- umbrella stored under passenger seat

- LED DRL in headlight pod

- Darkened rear light lenses

- New gear knob

- Climate control

We paid extra for more speakers and for rear parking sensors. No PID, but a funky phone holder. No mention of a free TomTom app. Yet we do not have climate control, I'm not sure about the rear light lenses as I have nothing to compare with!

The new headlamp set up has separate low and main beam modules, so no longer can you change the 'standard' twin filament H4 bulb to upgrade the headlamp performance. I tried taking the rubber backs off to see what the new bulbs are, but whatever they are appear to be 'star' screwed in - not very friendly!!

I don't think ours is coming with Climate Control either but I didn't spec it originally so I'm not too concerned. My new Fabia has "difficult" headlight bulbs too but the new Citigo's will come out somehow. We've not had news of ours since being told it was being built in week 39. I'm expecting a delivery date within the next 2 weeks. Getting a bit excited now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am collecting our new Citigo this weekend. We had originally ordered the 2016 model but opted for the 2017 version, when offered. However, one of the main benefits for my wife was the PID. She struggles to followsat nav on her smart phone. It's now gone from the new spec! I see from previous posts that it has been replaced by a phone holder and a free Tom Tom app? What is the purpose of the app. Why would you use this and not google maps? My wife would prefer to have a Tom Tom that would fit into the phone holder or preferably separately mounted on the dash. Has anyone got any ideas? I would be very grateful for your comments and

ideas as I need to confirm collection with the dealer and I currently have a not-to-pleased wife.

Thanks

I am collecting our new Citigo this weekend. We had originally ordered the 2016 model but opted for the 2017 version, when offered. However, one of the main benefits for my wife was the PID. She struggles to followsat nav on her smart phone. It's now gone from the new spec! I see from previous posts that it has been replaced by a phone holder and a free Tom Tom app? What is the purpose of the app. Why would you use this and not google maps? My wife would prefer to have a Tom Tom that would fit into the phone holder or preferably separately mounted on the dash. Has anyone got any ideas? I would be very grateful for your comments and

ideas as I need to confirm collection with the dealer and I currently have a not-to-pleased wife.

Thanks

Best option would be to buy her a tom tom, they are quite cheap now aren't they? I like my PID, but would probably manage with a place to hold my phone and a charger point

We are collecting MrsViv's Citigo on Saturday. With respect to google maps you need a data connection and that will use mobile data when available. A TomTom app on your phone or in a specific device has maps already loaded and just needs a gps signal, which I've only rarely lost in over 10 years of using one (but regularly in Bath City Centre). Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Google Maps can cache areas, and will update them over Wifi (at least on Android). Tap the Hamburger icon, and then 'Offline Areas' and you can select where you want to download. If you have enough space on your device, you can download the whole country.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

just joined this briskoda group an hour ago ive tried quite a big phone in the holde so if you try some of the tom tom units in it it may work and by now you've spotted the usb connection although a little untidy you could by the looks of thing remove the phone carrier and plug in the usb to sat nav directly as long as there is enough input amps to charge the sat nav and run it i noticed your posting is late October so let me know how and if you resolved it tahnks

I for one hate the PID. Navigon were great until Garmin took over and added microtransactions for additional services and map updates. This for me seems like a much better, agnostic solution for whichever ecosystem ( Android, iOS, Windows, etc) you subscribe to. Too many manufacturers force a particular ecosystem on the buyer when really, we are buying a car, not a phone brand.

As for Android security, keep your phone up-to-date and employ reasonable and safe practices and you will never be sorry. Google navigation is hard to beat and if you have a live connection (i.e. a phone with mobile data) then traffic updates happen in near enough real time. The turn by turn directions are good and the maps will always be the latest. You could of course take your pick of many apps available.

as of yesterday i now have the new Android auto app on my LG G5. it is no longer dependant on say a touch screen system in a fabia, all the functions are in print big enough for your fingers, if you feel the need to press the screen whilst driving. however with a correct set up with google talkback you can ask the phone to ring, text, give me directions too, commands which is way better than the NO hits and pardon quotes from the current Garmin PID plus there is NO value in having to spend £75 for map updates after year 2 with the garmin navigon unit

but with all the security issues around android (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/latest_androids_have_god_mode_hack_hole/) I would not have one, and apples ethics and control over what I can do with my mobile?

those two may have the lions share of the smart phone market, but no thanks

Is there enough headroom in your Citigo for your tinfoil hat? Lol! I just scanned my Samsung Galaxy S7 with QuadRooter and it said 'Your device is not affected by QuadRooter vulnerabilities'. I've used mobile phones since their inception and have owned the original Windows Mobile, iPhone, Windows Phone and Android in a great many different models. Not once have I ever suffered from the effects of a security issue of any description. The risk of you crashing your Citigo is far, far greater.

• 4 weeks later...

so just taken del of 2017 citigo SE L in the new blue that sat nav app is ok except when it talks back to you she doesn't finish off her sentence however only driven car twice since wednesday so will have a play later we have all heard about the MPG only going upto 49.9 mpg im sure there will be an update soon it will not however be possible to upg firmware on swing radio as i tried last night and asked for a SD card you can bet these will be available from skoda later might even just use google maps and bluetooth and ignore maps n morr app and experiment also with new revised android auto runs direct off phone screen  with free traffic updates and route optimasation i will keep you all posted