Tyre recommendation

Hi there, I will have to replace my front tyres shortly, currently running on the stock Michelin Energy Saver +

I would love some feedback on a decent quality tyre as a replacement. Oh yeah its an Estate Octavia 1.6TDI 110bhp.

Many Thanks

Paul

Edited by kirkbyp

I have personally considered the following:

- 1: Pirelli P1 Cinturato Verde
- 2: Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics
- 3: Michelin ENERGY SAVER+ (which you already have)

At the moment, for summer, I have only experience with Continental Sport Contact 2; I would say avoid at all cost. Worst summer tyre I had: crappy on wet, not comfy at all and really noisy. For next season I will therefore face same question as you do now.

A bit of an off-topic here, but for other half of the year I have Nokian WR D3 or D4 (I'm not sure now which edition that is), and that's other end of scale - absolutely great boots for winter (grippy, quiet and solid on wet).

As you didn't swap the fronts and backs about 12k miles ago, you now have 2 tyres which are worn rather than 4

If it had been all 4, I would have said Michelin Cross climates (unless you live somewhere like Cornwall), but don't mix summer tyres and all season tyres

Why not? That's exactly what I was intending to do. I've only ever bought two tyres at a time.

Because unless you drive in the exact temperature and weather conditions that they provide the same level of grip you are likely to swap ends and grace the nearest ditch when conditions mean one axle has a lot more grip than the other.

For the type of vehicle and engine size then comfort and longevity is possibly more important than outright performance. I would suggest either the Dunlop BluSportResonse or Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. Both have had excellent reviews, are quiet, available in lots of sizes, well priced and last well. They also aren't an out and out compromise of an ECO tyre

Summer all weather tyres are a complete marketing ploy. 23 years driving (feeling old) I'm still here. Drive to the conditions "simples" p.s I live on the the sunny sides of the South Wales valleys. Majority of my "snow" driving" since I was 17 has been on estate where they don't grit. Few years back a mate made me laugh my fkin head off as he has his civic R type stuck in his drive. My 10 month old son could have driven it out. And he can't even walk yet. Sick to death of this nanny culture.

Edited by Lew0-VRS

Few years back a mate made me laugh my fkin head off as he has his civic R type stuck in his drive. My 10 month old son could have driven it out. And he can't even walk yet. Sick to death of this nanny culture.

What an incredibly lovely and tolerant person you are. Wish you were my friend!

Summer all weather tyres are a complete marketing ploy. 23 years driving (feeling old) I'm still here. Drive to the conditions "simples" p.s I live on the the sunny sides of the South Wales valleys. Majority of my "snow" driving" since I was 17 has been on estate where they don't grit. Few years back a mate made me laugh my fkin head off as he has his civic R type stuck in his drive. My 10 month old son could have driven it out. And he can't even walk yet. Sick to death of this nanny culture.

To be honest the Civics are trash in bad weather - I have a 2.2 diesel and likewise couldn't get off my drive in a bit of snow the other year - the car just sat there spinning it' wheels on tickover whereas the Fabia and Octy had no issues and I've never had a problem in 30 years with previous cars.  The low profile large diameter tyres and tyre type don't help...   needless to say it now has different tyres on and should be better next time

Hi Paul.

I am also about to replace the tyres on my 1.6 TDI. I am going for Dunlop BluResponse having gone through 2 sets on my previous mk2 Octavia.

I was very impressed with them, they lasted well and the road noise was noticably improved after fitting them.

My car is running Michelin at the moment, but the unused spare is a BluResponse, so I guess it was fitted with them originally.

Attached is said drive, maximum inch and half snow. Got the scirocco and Fabia out in attached snow. The only two cars to leave my street. Pretty sure the scirocco on similar profile tyres as the Type R.

yep - mine wasn't even that bad but is on a slope - the issue was more the wide tyres and crappy tread pattern that are fitted to the Civics - Eagle F1's / Yoko C-Drive / Bridgestone's IIRC which just have the big circumferential grooves and no cross sipes...

I've never experienced such bad tyres...

No amount of gentle clutching and low revs would shift it but the other cars just romped out.