"Push clutch to start" bypass

Indeed, I would suggest that the risk from fitting electronics not manufactured to full automotive specifications may well constitute a greater risk. Just my $0.02

They are produced with VAG housings, VAG seals, VAG crimps, VAG repair wires, and VAG loom tape, and crimped with the proper crimping press. Not sure how much closer to "full automotive specifications" you can get than that!

They are produced with VAG housings, VAG seals, VAG crimps, VAG repair wires, and VAG loom tape, and crimped with the proper crimping press. Not sure how much closer to "full automotive specifications" you can get than that!

Manufactured by a Tier 1 automotive electronics manufacturer in a certified assembly plant by certified trained operatives, and using only components that are supplied directly by the manufacturers and come with traceable Certificates of Conformity.

There's a LOT more to manufacturing electronics to comply with automotive requirements than most people know...

Edited by PetrolDave

It's a £20 harness with 2 connectors and 4 bits of wire. Slightly OTT to go to that length I think! It's not going to cause any problems. All it does it replicates the clutch being pressed (as far as the starter interlock is concerned). It's not going to blow the car up because it's not made by left handed wizards dressed in pink in a unicorn factory approved by Her Majesty The Queen.

I appreciate you don't think it's required, you're entitled to your opinion. However, your 40 years experience in the automotive industry doesn't allow for the knowledge of aftermarket performance modifications, and the knock on effects on fitting certain parts. So perhaps you should remove yourself from your high horse and broaden your horizons a little

Have always started every car with clutch and brake pedal depresed and always parked up with the car in gear. 27 years of driving everything from Mini's to Range Rovers from Tuned hot hatches to a motorbike. Never lost a clutch.

None of these have had uprated clutches mind you. But it is a habit now I guess.

Edited by davitc

Have always started every car with clutch and brake pedal depresed and always parked up with the car in gear. 27 years of driving everything from Mini's to Range Rovers from Tuned hot hatches to a motorbike. Never lost a clutch.

None of these have had uprated clutches mind you. But it is a habit now I guess.

None of them had the TFSI engine either I bet...

However, your 40 years experience in the automotive industry doesn't allow for the knowledge of aftermarket performance modifications, and the knock on effects on fitting certain parts. So perhaps you should remove yourself from your high horse and broaden your horizons a little

What you may not know is that I used to be Electronics Manager for a major automotive consultancy, so I am well aware of the requirements for both Production and after-market electronics for vehicles, and have seen the sometimes unexpected damage caused by similarly simple add-ons.

So maybe you should consider the possible impact of your device on the electronic systems of the vehicles it is fitted to rather more than you appear to have done.

I also hope that you have in place suitably large insurance, just in case...

Edited by PetrolDave

No wonder Skoda owners get such a bad reputation...Jesus Christ guys, lighten up a bit.

It will do no more damage to the electronics than pressing the clutch would.

Just sold another batch of 50 to a tuner/builder in the Czech Republic, maybe he knows something you guys don't!

Edited by georgeseamons

What you may not know is that I used to be Electronics Manager for a major automotive consultancy, so I am well aware of the requirements for both Production and after-market electronics for vehicles, and have seen the sometimes unexpected damage caused by similarly simple add-ons.

I shouldn't imagine your Electronics Manager position at the company gave you much knowledge of the damage uprated clutches cause to 2L TFSI thrust washers either, no?

Edited by georgeseamons

I shouldn't imagine your Electronics Manager position at the company gave you much knowledge of the damage uprated clutches cause to 2L TFSI thrust washers either, no?

No actually.

All the Managers shared information on all issues we saw in the entire business.

BTW your use of insults and doubts doesn't look good for you.

All I've been trying to do is point out the risks involved (you are selling these through a Limited Company?), but you have quickly resulted to personal attacks.

No actually.

All the Managers shared information on all issues we saw in the entire business.

BTW your use of insults and doubts doesn't look good for you.

All I've been trying to do is point out the risks involved (you are selling these through a Limited Company?), but you have quickly resulted to personal attacks.

Personal attacks? Insults? Where?

As I KEEP saying, these are designed for people with uprated clutches on the 2L TFSI engines. MODIFIED vehicles. Not vehicles in a factory. Something which you have no obviously no experience in, because you are not aware of the problems.

There are no risks. The harness will not cause any faults. There is nothing in it to cause faults. It is no more likely to cause an issue than pressing the clutch. The only "risk" is somebody starting the car in gear without pressing the clutch, but that is down to user error.

The only "risk" is somebody starting the car in gear without pressing the clutch, but that is down to user error.

Moron not driver error, if they start a car in gear they shouldn't be on the road. It's all these fail safe devices that making Britain roads more dangerous in my opinion.

Briskoda normally only allows posts by people directly related to their own product if they are Site Sponsors but I appreciate that replies are being made in response to another persons question.

It would be appreciated if all parties could discuss the matter in a constructive way without OTT replies though as this thread will be monitored and acted upon accordingly.

TBC....

• Like 4

Moron not driver error, if they start a car in gear they shouldn't be on the road. It's all these fail safe devices that making Britain roads more dangerous in my opinion.

It was the Americans' collective stupidity that resulted in the clutch needing to be pressed to start the car after so many of them ploughed through garage doors.

Fair play to you, George, for coming on here and defending your position.

Thank you.

I appreciate it isn't for everybody, and I'm not forcing it on anyone. However, for it to be called bull****, snake oil, and to say I'm ripping people off is unfair. There obviously is a market for it, or people wouldn't be buying it. I actually stumbled across this thread when I was searching for cases of thrust washer failures on TFSI engines, somehow this thread popped up on there. I'm glad I found it though, because at least I have been given a chance to "defend" myself.

I've always put the clutch down to start a car as it takes a load off the starter motor (Many years ago it reduced wear).

I don't think I've ever seen an issue on any brand of car over this.

Doesn't really take any load off the starter motor.  Its only the already free spinning shafts in the gearbox that wont be turning.

I've always put the clutch down to start a car as it takes a load off the starter motor (Many years ago it reduced wear).

On older cars with carbon(not ball race) release bearings on the clutch this would put way more load on the starter motor lol.

This whole post has nothing to do with the actual clutch wearing though it's all to do with the thrust bearing on the crankshaft that controls end float. When you push the clutch in to release it the crankshaft is taking this load via its thrust bearing in the block.

With an uprated clutch you are pushing harder against the crankshaft so more wear and when starting there is no dynamic oil film protecting the surfaces of the bearing so even more wear.

I've rebuilt a few old yank v8s over the years and the manual cars always showed considerably more wear(as excess end float) on the crank thrust bearing than the autos as the torque convertors just don't provide the thrust loads a clutch does.

Do I think my TSI VRS needs one? Probably not but I may consider one if I were to put a beasty clutch in it after some tuning.

Edited by V6Jules