Best tyres that offer rim protection

My vRS estate still has the factory fitted Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres, these have done almost 25k and the fronts have worn down to just over 2.0mm, the rears are 4.0mm.

I have found these tyres provide very good grip levels on hot, dry days, pretty poor grip levels on wet days but worst of all they can be unpredictable on turn in.

They do however provide excellent protection from the curbs when the wife parks :notme: and my Pictoris rims are currently unmarked.

I have narrowed the replacement tyres to:

1.       Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3

2.       Michelin Pilot Sport 4

3.       Continental Sport Contact 5

4.       Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

My local independent tyre place recommended the Michelin as an excellent all round tyre but when I asked about rim protection he said that the Michelin and the Conti either have no, or offer very poor rim protection. The Goodyear F1 A3 rim protection is not as pronounced as the previous F1 A2 and if rim protection is the key factor then he would recommend the Dunlop RT 2. He did say that all these tyres are very close performance wise but the Conti is of an older generation.

Does anyone have an experience of the F1 A3 or Dunlop RT 2?

Thanks
Jon

Unless Michelin have changed drastically how they make tyres, the fitter is speak out his ass. I've run michelins on my car since new 8years, first was the factory fit premacy's then sport 2 and 3's. All the tyres have excellent rim protection, not one bit of kerb rash in due to the rim protector. Just had the wheels powder coated and that was down to age and wonderwheels alloy wheel cleaner. If you want I can take a pic of mine and email it to you, I've no idea how to get photos on here and I use an iPad.

Edited by meta55b
  • Like 1

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's on mine (18" wheels). The rim protection is pretty much non existent. In fact it is non existent, it's crap; nothing between the rim and the kerb..

They ARE however, in every other aspect, an absolutely brilliant tyre. Although i'll still be looking for better rim protection next time around :)

• Like 1

Unless Michelin have changed drastically how they make tyres, the fitter is speak out his ass. I've run michelins on my car since new 8years, first was the factory fit premacy's then sport 2 and 3's. All the tyres have excellent rim protection, not one bit of kerb rash in due to the rim protector. 

I run now on Michelin Primacy HP with 7.5x17 inch  Dorado VRS rims. Grip is good enough for my sporty driving. Rim protection is also ok. In 2 years I had no problems with kerbs, scratches or whatsoever.
Rim protection with these tyres was really poor when I used Audi TT RS rims 8.5x17 inch. Tire was to stretched. So take that into consideration also if you use aftermarket rims.
Edited by U241170

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's on mine (18" wheels). The rim protection is pretty much non existent. In fact it is non existent, it's crap; nothing between the rim and the kerb..

They ARE however, in every other aspect, an absolutely brilliant tyre. Although i'll still be looking for better rim protection next time around :)

Used love the rim protection provided by the as2 so bought as3 for mine when the original conti sport 2 were worn down... Shocked to find the rims stick out beyond the protection on the as3 unlike the contis.

But like you say they are great tyres otherwise

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Surprised about the F1 AS3.

I've been to Costco this morning and they have the pilot sport 4 on show and in the size I need they appear to have very good protection, but in several sizes they have absolutely no rim protection.

Looks like 4 new Pilot Sport 4 are going to be fitted.

Thanks

The Pirelli P7s that are on my car from the factory are surprisingly good at protecting the wheels. There have been a few instances where I've glanced a kerb and thought "b*****ks", only to find the alloy is damage free. 

post-6717-0-05842200-1470577109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the A2 came in rim protection and non rim protection. Maybe the same deal.

You need the MFS version

My AS3 say rim protection with an arrow pointing to the rim sticking out past the tyre... Wife had AS2 on her bmw 330 and they stuck out a good 10mm past the rim.

I have Goodyears F1's on my MKIII Vrs and the rim protection looks very good.  My next door neighbour has a BMW with the same tyres, although 19" wheels and the rim protection is far less on those wheels, yet the protection bit looks to be the same as mine. Perhaps it's the rim that determines the amount of protection by the way the tyre sits on the rim or even the shape of the rim

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Yep I put the F1's on the front of mine after long consusulting on here. Went to Vario tyre dealers for advice. A friend had them on a Focus ST, which looked ideal. General opinion from 1 local independent was final outcome isn't known until on.Once correct F1"s were on. I noticed they still are not ideal (for me). But much better. The ST ones still have greater protection.But saw they were a different rating. So could be a combination of ratings, rim wall thickness, angle of design etc etc. Love the rims. But have constantly caused lots of discussion on here since I got mine over 2 years ago.BRING BACK THE 1970 FORD "STEEL" alloy look.????

• Like 1