No power won't drive up hills.

CHILLEY

Hi help please.    I have a friend in Spain who has bought a second hand 1.2 Mk1 Yeti, when I asked how is the car, she said she has to use first gear to get up hills, I told her to take it back to the garage as she has 1 months warranty left.

Could it be the the Turbo not working ?

CHILLEY

I would have thought that if a car was as bad as that it'd have one or more warning lights up on the dash.
Could be a turbo pipe come adrift or split

• Like 1

I would have thought that if a car was as bad as that it'd have one or more warning lights up on the dash.

Could be a turbo pipe come adrift or split

Wouldn't that be 'sensed' also?.
  • Like 1

Seeing as it is Spain then her idea of hills might be different from others, and what she drove before a 1.2TSI Yeti.

Getting other drivers opinions of how the car drives and has or has not power would be a good idea.

Then if there is something lacking checking out if there is mechanical or engine management issues,

engine power / lack off etc.

• Like 1

Check out the regular payload, I got stuck behind a Renault 4

full of people, bales of hay and a couple of goats/sheep in Spain.

• Like 1

Sounds like what happens with some Yeti with a 1.2TSI on a steep or long hill with some drivers,

starting off, short sharp inclines, off turbo or any of various reasons.

As to Limp Mode, that is a possibility, needs new plugs, coils, new air filter, software update or other things.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, Marbella does have a few hills. but I thought a 1.2 should get up them without using 1st.  Mind you the previous car in the UK was 3 Ltr Merc.  so that might be it.

So the 1.2TSI isn't ever going to break any speed records, but it isn't *that* slow. I would expect it to accelerate up a steep hill in 1st gear no problem. I would at least have the car looked over and scanned for faults. 

• Like 1

Take it to be looked at, I had the 1.2 years ago and we had a drive around Yorkshire very steep hills and the lowest gear I used was 2nd, the 1.2 is not under powered.

It could even be down to the timing chain being stretched, if it is from the time of the problem chains, maybe it's the reason the first owner got shot of it.

When started from cold is there a rattle from the engine for a few seconds if so it is the timing chain. 

• Like 1

I often drive an Octavia 1.2TSi 105 through the peak district with 4 large adults and the massive boot loaded with kit.

Have no problems with keeping up with traffic and certainly do not need to keep to first gear. There is something wrong with the OP's Yeti.

Compare the 1.2 TSi to some normaly aspirated pertrols and you'd be looking at a 1.8 Focus/Mondeo to get similar maximum torque and the 1.2TSi produces that from much lower in the rev range.

Certainly shouldn't feel underpowered.

Lee

• Like 1