How many miles will it do......................

My daughter is looking for a cheap estate and being a Skoda owner I suggested an Octavia but with her limited budget they will be higher mileage cars.

How many miles, assuming engine is looked after/regular servicing etc would one expect a 1.9 diesel manual to go on for ?

Opinions gratefully received or indeed factual mileages

My Mk1 that I sold is still around. According to a quick check it had 190,925 miles at last MOT and is due again on the 25th of this month.

Advisory notice item(s) at last MOT:

offside sill seam damaged

nearside front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)

nearside front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)

The sill wasn't damaged when I sold it and I'm sure it was the N/S/F shock I had to change one year. Got the part from Skoda as it was the cheapest place at the time. Maybe they eat N/S/F shock absorbers at the rate of one every 9 years/95,000 miles..... Probably only another 100,000 left in the car to be honest. ;) Wish I had never had to get rid of it really as it was a very good car.

• Like 1

1.9 manual people say. I agree. Just a dual mass fly wheel to watch eventually. BKC and BJB are reliable engines. BXE have known conrod through block issues maybe due to poor servicing or just bad luck. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

My Mk 2 has got 166,000 on it and just started to have a lack of boost on occasions but generally running well (BJB engine no DPF). I still don't think it's as good as the Mk1 I had though. Both cars had/have been well maintained all their life and I think it's my current obsession with getting the maximum possible MPG from it that is causing the boost issue. I have a nice 165 mile trip tomorrow and just fuelled up with some V-Power Nitro + as a cheap way (clutching at straws) to solve my problem. Thinking it may be sticky turbo vanes.

The Mk1 use to get around 55mpg and the Mk2 is currently returning a 65mpg average (or 73mpg according to the very optimistic trip computer).

• Like 1

Wow - thanks for all the quick replies and some great info. I can now put her mind at rest on high mileages. Let's hope we find the right one.

She's got a 2012 petrol 1.0 Ecoboost Focus where the engine has catastrophically failed at 24500miles and 4 months out of warranty so now her funds are limited for a replacement

Wow - thanks for all the quick replies and some great info. I can now put her mind at rest on high mileages. Let's hope we find the right one.

She's got a 2012 petrol 1.0 Ecoboost Focus where the engine has catastrophically failed at 24500miles and 4 months out of warranty so now her funds are limited for a replacement

That milage and only 4 month out of warranty I would be going legal if the dealers or ford uk didn't help out with a new engine.

There's a Facebook group being run for those having catastrophic failures with this engine:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Might be worth your daughter investigating.

• Like 2

That milage and only 4 month out of warranty I would be going legal if the dealers or ford uk didn't help out with a new engine.

Been fighting with Ford since April this year - going legal maybe the final option but it is a pain and the small claims procedure seems to have got very complicated

There's a Facebook group being run for those having catastrophic failures with this engine:

Thanks iriches - I'm not a facebook person but we have now looked and it's very interesting that others are in the same boat (car!) thanks for your input.

• Like 1

That sounds horrendous.  It is a battle when they play hard ball and you have to decide if your up for the long haul.  However, I would be getting some legal advice (if required) and try issuing a few letters / serve proceedings to see if you get anywhere.  You can always cut your losses at any point and if writing letters / issuing proceedings yourself, it costs you little apart from time.

One of your best angles could be against the selling dealer assuming you bought it off a new car or used car dealer - not against Ford Motor Company as the (expired) warranty provider.

Do you have legal cover on an insurance policy?  They often have a help line which you can call for some advice on how to proceed and the relevant legislation and help with procedures.  Otherwise, you could join something like Which Legal for a year.

I am presuming you've had the Fiesta repaired with an exchange engine and off loaded it. If you haven't, it should still net you some funds in a repaired state even after the repair. 

Edited by TheClient

The car was purchased on a PCP Options scheme so the people responsible for the quality of the car (ie durability) are the finance company - yes you've guessed, it was Ford's own finance company. The engine went pop in April this year and the final balloon payment was due in June this year nevertheless this has not been paid! Yes I have been to Which, Just Answer and Resolver but nothing definite has come out of this approach. I have been having ongoing conversations/letters/emails with Ford's Customer Relationship Centre and Ford Credit Europe and I continue fighting..............................................having joined the Facebook group mention by iriches earlier on this thread it appears 13 other Ecoboost engines have also failed in 2016.....................................and yes I have thought of just handing the car back but then they will be after me for a new engine cost!

The car was purchased on a PCP Options scheme so the people responsible for the quality of the car (ie durability) are the finance company - yes you've guessed, it was Ford's own finance company. The engine went pop in April this year and the final balloon payment was due in June this year nevertheless this has not been paid! Yes I have been to Which, Just Answer and Resolver but nothing definite has come out of this approach. I have been having ongoing conversations/letters/emails with Ford's Customer Relationship Centre and Ford Credit Europe and I continue fighting..............................................having joined the Facebook group mention by iriches earlier on this thread it appears 13 other Ecoboost engines have also failed in 2016.....................................and yes I have thought of just handing the car back but then they will be after me for a new engine cost!

OK, sounds like you're aware of your options.

The which legal I was talking about is their paid for subscription service which is not the same as their magazine and general unremunerated advice forums. The advice is much more tailored if you call an advisor and sometimes they will review drafts of letters and correspondence.  Not sure if that is the same thing you're talking about or not. We've used them once before on a motor vehicle matter and were pretty on the ball and helpful - quite a few years ago though.

One thing to be careful of is breaching the agreement by not meeting payments as it can have the effect of prejudicing your own rights or enforcement action you may wish to take against the PCP provider. Apologies if you know all this already - I'll sign off now and not delve further.....

Best of luck though - that is an unfortunate scenario and bitterly disappointing. Looking at reported problems, I suppose it was a coolant hose failure that cooked the engine.  

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the advice.

My daughter does have a paid subscription to Which Legal and she will be going back to them again after all our other routes have been exhausted

Most older Diesel engines that don't have all the fancy EGRs and DPFs if looked after will run to literally stellar mileages it's sadly everything else on the cars that pack in first ... You just need to look at the number of ex taxis up for sale sigh 200,000 and 300,000 miles on the clock.

Regular fresh oil, the lifeblood of any engine and turbo.

Find any diesel Octavia that has been on fixed service intervals (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first) rather than the variable / long life intervals (up to 20,000 miles or 2 years - ideal for fleet drivers looking to keep running costs down to a minimum) and you'll be on to a good start.

Thanks iriches - I'm not a facebook person but we have now looked and it's very interesting that others are in the same boat (car!) thanks for your input.

Sorry to go back to the Ford but, Blackbart, (or anyone else)  do you know the manufacturing dates of the Ford 1.0 ecoboost engines affected by the recall/failure? My elderly father has one and I'd like to check it for him, but its only a year old so maybe the cooling part which fails has been already upgraded. I've tried searching but couldn't find the answer?

Sorry to go back to the Ford but, Blackbart, (or anyone else)  do you know the manufacturing dates of the Ford 1.0 ecoboost engines affected by the recall/failure? My elderly father has one and I'd like to check it for him, but its only a year old so maybe the cooling part which fails has been already upgraded. I've tried searching but couldn't find the answer?

Not an easy one to answer but from the Facebook group I have just joined they all seem to be late 2012 and early 2013 registered cars many of which had the recall (November 2015) and had the revised degas pipe fitted including my Daughter's. Mileages appear to range from 24000 to 50000 when they all failed at various times this year. Many of them just had head/gasket failures possibly unrelated to this pipe without any warning at all. It makes me think engines around this time may have been faulty.

I would think a 1.0L Ecoboost engined Ford bought this last year would have the proper degas pipe now fitted but whether some are going to be subject to the same problems - who knows?

see www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My apologies for dragging this topic up again but I wanted to thank iriches again for pointing me in the direction of the Facebook group which has been extremely useful to talk to others with the same problem. Personally we are still fighting some 5 months after my Daughter's car failed. I now know of 26 Ecoboost 1.0L engines that have failed since April this year. I have contacted everyone you can imagine but Ford right from the top will still not admit there is a problem with this engine in cars late 2012 early 2013. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice - the fight goes on.....................................

If a taxi can reach those mileages, any other car can. Taxi cars live the worst life for a car: always in town traffic, always stop&go, each and every component of the car is stressed to the max. It's true that taxi owners usually are the most scrupolous in maintaining their cars, for they're their mean of living.

As an anecdote, I remember about 20 years ago being in a taxi in Milano. It was a Fiat 128, thus already being a 20+ years old car then. Its odometer read 360,000km (200k miles). Remember: it was a car from an era when 100k km was considered a really good target to achieve.

Edited by duro