Reza99's resonator delete / change idea

I've been chatting with Reza99 thanks to his resonator delete ideas I thought I'd follow him up and he gave me some useful ideas.

He has more recently mentioned use of 2.5" Vibrant exhaust for the centre resonator would make the car sound better and is a quality pipe that won't suffer long term deterioration due to proper metal packing.

(unlikely to make any power difference from catback just a bit sportier sound would be nice!).

I wondered if its possible to avoid cutting out the original exhaust, and keep it, also still warranteed ?

i.e.

Why not just remove it intact if possible and try and alter the hotdog to match the existing muffler piping perhaps then just reclamp the exhaust ?

According to diagrams, if correct, it uses muffler clamps 1K0 253 141 T and 1K0 253 141 AA So should just unclamp ?

Reminder of the schematic: http://www.drive.by/spare/etka/skoda/oct/753/253900/

I'd personally try and have work on the vibrant pipe so that it would fix like the original maybe so could just be refitted if needed?

I've been playing around with various aftermarked exhaust purchases

but I think this would be almost as good "almost-pikey" mod to a catback resonated upgrade ( but doesn't involve screwdrivers or drills in your exhausts lol).

Only thing is getting someone who can (probably TIG?) weld and bend exhaust pipes and match the original resonator ?

If we could find someone then maybe they could even offer a group buy on the exhaust modification

( I think the basis of the modification that you'd want to supply is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152131990577?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT )

Edited by vRSAnt

Just to remind this was Rezas resonator delete:

Aftermarket:

Compare with Remus video:

Sound way better than OEM ! Not quite sure how it would compare to say, Remus or Scorpion resonated catback but this is a very cheap upgrade you are talking about here to put into perspective.

The aftermarket resonator replacement sounds like it is smoother than the straight pipe which I think I'd prefer as you don't want to remove the resonator altogether IMO.

Got to really thank Reza99 for putting all this experimentation together, we should make use of it.

Just reply to your PM then I saw this topic ;) .

In terms of performance, there shouldn't be any improvement however I do notice the engine is more eager to get up and go, feels 'healthier' in general. Maybe psychological maybe not :D

When my fabricator took off the OEM resonator, he noticed a hotspot/discolouration in the middle of the resonator's body, from his experience building custom system this may indicate a restriction.

Best to check your own exhaust system because in my car (Oct '13 build) its one solid piece unlike the diagram vRSAnt posted. The only clamp exist is where the downpipe meet the central resonator.

• Like 1

Tbh. I'm not really fussed if it makes more power. I'd be happy with a bit more sound.

I'd love to go down the remus route, buy 1200 quid is not cheap.

As for the group buy idea, it might be worth looking at what sort of numbers would be interested before you go to a fabricator. 

FOX do one for around  £150 plus delivery so to beat that would be the target.

The vrs 230 has a nice exhaust sound - apparently it's different to the standard vrs. Maybe see what they changed to achieve this - an OEM mod could be an option?

If the Fox one was any good, and guaranteed direct fit, I'd right out and get it.

But it might only fit Fox exhaust full system ?

Most exhaust manufacturers only do parts for their own systems ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-Sports-Exhaust-for-Skoda-Octavia-5E-RS-TSI-Pre-silencer-Tube-63-5mm-/391415636287?hash=item5b2230a13f:g:zMoAAOSwBLlVF0YN

"Important Note: Unless stated otherwise, FOX silencer can be mounted on the standard pre-or middle silencer. Forward or center muffler by FOX Exhaust Systems, however, do not fit in combination with the original silencer."

It's the right sort of shape I think (for diagrams) but have some investigation on my own 2014 at the weekend.

Certainly appears to want to pair with their own parts before anyone rushes out to buy (but could I guess be made to fit).:

http://www.fox-sportauspuff.de/index.php?language=en&cName=car-skoda-octavia-5e-20l-rs-c-1_429_433_2779_2780

Also NO information on exhaust packing / details.

Rezas idea might be best which has evolved to Vibrant parts or Jetex but he said they aren't available there easy, and would probablty require some extra fabrication unless you can cobble connections, which would probably leak.

I think with Vibrant you have a better quality resonator I'm sure.

Its cheap also circa £60 its only the extra bits that would bump it up. Thats steel parts not glass packed so wonder what the Fox is, I did have it on my ebay but they failed to reply to me about whether it would fit direct OEM so I didn't bother anymore asking.

Maybe worth a call to Jetex to work out their comparable, and maybe they could even make something up for the Octy ( maybe if sent a mid exhaust and might consider taking mine there ). No idea how they pack their exhaust or its qualities though, whilst there is tons of info on the Vibrant

I think Ant also had that idea and when it was looked into, it was an expensive option. At least from memory I think that was the result 

Exactly. You are probably looking at the very least equivalent cost of the very best exhaust systems in excess of 1k but from what has been reported to be not that great an improvement over standard from what I've heard ( not in person though), and will be heavier too

( might last forever though you know OEM exhausts lol).

So thats sold me on the how to proceed ( although I suppose it does make life a lot easier on insurance when it comes down the line to actually fitting this stuff, to JUST own a 230).

I really don't see the point of going down the 230 exhaust acquistion route from what I looked into it, unless someone was stripping it off their car for not a lot - its a very expensive system if you can even buy it

( I don't really value them any more than a standard exhaust and not really looking to acquire one as I think there is better improvements to be made in the direction Reza's already tried and tested as you can hear for yourself).

If you were looking to true engine gains you need a turbo back exhaust anyway and like I said thats not what its about for me, I'm looking to keep most the smoothness of the car just make it sound a tad bit more sporty by default is all - not light up the pod with race car noises !

Edited by vRSAnt

Here's some actual picture of the resonator, quality is excellent (nice weld and finish) for the price you pay. They are rather heavy and solid. 

post-139092-0-74253600-1472277871_thumb.jpg

post-139092-0-95667200-1472277922_thumb.jpg

The fatter one is the ultra quiet model, I'm planning to fabricate those to replace the rear muffler. 

This is how the current resonator sit on the car, as my exhaust is one solid piece, we fabricated flanges toward the back, so it can be easily removed or swap with different resonator if needed. 

post-139092-0-78316000-1472277947_thumb.jpg

post-139092-0-99007600-1472277960_thumb.jpg

My observation so far regarding the resonator (2 weeks in, about 500km), it definitely changes the exhaust tone straight out of the box, deeper and meatier, you will notice it during cold start. Keeping the RPM under 2k, it will be hard to tell that anything has been changed, a good thing as highway cruising is just below 2k rpm (in my case anyway). 

The heavier the throttle is apply the louder it gets. Driven aggresively, the noise is IMO spot on, it never overpower the engine sound and retains the urgency noise of the engine which I like. The car does DSG pop now, not all the time, only when driven hard. 

There is however a specific resonance point around at around about 2.5k rpm at certain throttle position. This seems to mostly happen if the engine is being lug (laboured) which is probably not the best thing for a turbocharged equipped engine anyway. Note though I didn't have this resonance with a cheaper glass-packed resonator, perhaps due to the damping properties of fibreglass.

I think that may be the reason why Skoda/VW has put in the effort of installing such a huge resonator in the middle of the car, they way the DSG is programmed (for fuel economy) resulted the engine being push in a way that promotes this particular resonance on the exhaust pipe. It also kills any sporty noise coming out from the exhaust pipe. 

If you guys are worried about the resonance, I recommend trying on a resonator with more 'meat' in it. Vibrant offer a 'fatter' bullet style resonator, part number is 17930 or the Ultra Quiet one. Jetex also has a 24 inch version which should fit nicely. Magnaflow also does a 24 inch version. Any of them should liberate extra noise (the smaller the resonator the noisier it will get obviously), there isn't many resonator out there that's remotely comes close to the OEM's size. 

I actually heard the car running with just the dump-pipe on without any muffler to get an idea of how it would behave, it sounded quite good, nice, deep and surprisingly smooth, quite loud obviously.

Remember to do your own research and there are many ways to climb a mountain  :happy:

• Like 1

Here's some actual picture of the resonator, quality is excellent (nice weld and finish) for the price you pay. They are rather heavy and solid. 

attachicon.gif20160811_224828.jpg

attachicon.gif20160811_224949.jpg

The fatter one is the ultra quiet model, I'm planning to fabricate those to replace the rear muffler. 

This is how the current resonator sit on the car, as my exhaust is one solid piece, we fabricated flanges toward the back, so it can be easily removed or swap with different resonator if needed. 

attachicon.gif20160816_100611.jpg

attachicon.gif20160816_100627.jpg

My observation so far regarding the resonator (2 weeks in, about 500km), it definitely changes the exhaust tone straight out of the box, deeper and meatier, you will notice it during cold start. Keeping the RPM under 2k, it will be hard to tell that anything has been changed, a good thing as highway cruising is just below 2k rpm (in my case anyway). 

The heavier the throttle is apply the louder it gets. Driven aggresively, the noise is IMO spot on, it never overpower the engine sound and retains the urgency noise of the engine which I like. The car does DSG pop now, not all the time, only when driven hard. 

There is however a specific resonance point around at around about 2.5k rpm at certain throttle position. This seems to mostly happen if the engine is being lug (laboured) which is probably not the best thing for a turbocharged equipped engine anyway. Note though I didn't have this resonance with a cheaper glass-packed resonator, perhaps due to the damping properties of fibreglass.

I think that may be the reason why Skoda/VW has put in the effort of installing such a huge resonator in the middle of the car, they way the DSG is programmed (for fuel economy) resulted the engine being push in a way that promotes this particular resonance on the exhaust pipe. It also kills any sporty noise coming out from the exhaust pipe. 

If you guys are worried about the resonance, I recommend trying on a resonator with more 'meat' in it. Vibrant offer a 'fatter' bullet style resonator, part number is 17930 or the Ultra Quiet one. Jetex also has a 24 inch version which should fit nicely. Magnaflow also does a 24 inch version. Any of them should liberate extra noise (the smaller the resonator the noisier it will get obviously), there isn't many resonator out there that's remotely comes close to the OEM's size. 

I actually heard the car running with just the dump-pipe on without any muffler to get an idea of how it would behave, it sounded quite good, nice, deep and surprisingly smooth, quite loud obviously.

Remember to do your own research and there are many ways to climb a mountain  :happy:

Where did you get it done?

Right Price Exhaust. You will need to tell them how you want to do it otherwise they will just cut the pipe as they please.

Thanks buddy, I think I know the owner there so will make sure he doesnt do a butch job, I have a catback xforce coming so be keen to find someone a fellow VRS driver recommends.

Had a look myself and the original exhaust is labelled something like reinieco and made in poland ?

It's a fair sized oval exhaust isn't it.

It does seem to have a join on the down pipe end, but I can't see anything on the connections to the mufflers.

As far as I can tell 1K0 253 141 T is not on my model

Although I guess you could always just obtain that exact part and cut it anyway to match the diagram ! Then bobs your uncle you can have anything you want ( possibly the Fox one included, it certainly won't fit without some cutting ).

I'm realising also that the Remus actually isn't that refined is it ?

So they offer the motor to control the flap.

But you are paying an awful lot of money for an exhaust that bypasses the entire centre section resonator and hence 100% of the time not really offering any resonator at all from the centre section.

Great if you want to car to sound more like a race car 99% of the time!

Not for me..... (sort of thing you might want to put on for say santa pod then take off...but could do do that by just replacing out the centre responator idea!)

Anyone agree/disagree ? Anyone bought one ?

Thanks buddy, I think I know the owner there so will make sure he doesnt do a butch job, I have a catback xforce coming so be keen to find someone a fellow VRS driver recommends.

Universal mufflers or specific catback for our car? FYI the right hand side muffler on the car is considerably smaller than the other side.

Had a look myself and the original exhaust is labelled something like reinieco and made in poland ?

It's a fair sized oval exhaust isn't it.

It does seem to have a join on the down pipe end, but I can't see anything on the connections to the mufflers.

As far as I can tell 1K0 253 141 T is not on my model

Although I guess you could always just obtain that exact part and cut it anyway to match the diagram ! Then bobs your uncle you can have anything you want ( possibly the Fox one included, it certainly won't fit without some cutting ).

I'm realising also that the Remus actually isn't that refined is it ?

So they offer the motor to control the flap.

But you are paying an awful lot of money for an exhaust that bypasses the entire centre section resonator and hence 100% of the time not really offering any resonator at all from the centre section.

Great if you want to car to sound more like a race car 99% of the time!

Not for me..... (sort of thing you might want to put on for say santa pod then take off...but could do do that by just replacing out the centre responator idea!)

Anyone agree/disagree ? Anyone bought one ?

Yeah that sounds very familiar. It's actually shaped more like a prism, it's very large. 

Sounds like your exhaust is the same as mine. The pipe towards the back of the resonator is not quite 2.5 inch, more like 60mm, it can be easily enlarged (for welding a flange) if you have the right tools. Shouldn't affect the clamp method i think. 

I think Fox is 2.5 inch, so might work, but there are some system that's made with 3 inch pipe, Bull-x and Miltek for example.

I think Remus has two version, one with homologation and one without. I'm pretty sure the differences between the two is the central resonator. In Youtube, the homologated version is shown with white coloured car and the other one is shown with a red coloured car. The system on the red car is bloody loud with the valve open. 

It's hard to tell what kind of muffler Remus uses, there is a possibility that they use a baffled muffler rather than absorption. It's also possible that they employed some sort of J-pipe (Helmholtz resonator) inside the muffler to tackle the resonance on the pipe. 

As I said, there's many ways to climb a mountain  :D

Yeah - Another interesting fact when selecting a replacement for the middle briefcase - originally its 2ft ( 24" ) long for just the resonator itself (~60cm) and at least 20cm wide

The longest vibrant is 18"  but as you say Jetex offer more options

I think option 3 is most subtle replacement to suite like the original, 5 is more identical on length but I think that one has a better comparison on overall similar dimensions and may provide a more deep burble ?

1 U316300R Oval silencer box [sUPER] [2.5 inch] [stainless steel] - H=115mm / W=185mm / L=315mm u316300r.jpg £65.77       2 U326300R Oval silencer box [bIG] [2.5 inch] [stainless steel] - H=115mm / W=185mm / L=420mm u326300r.jpg £88.73       3 U336300R Oval silencer box [HEAVY] [2.5 inch] [stainless steel] - H=140mm / W=220mm / L=500mm u336300r.jpg £94.40       4 U436300R Round silencer box [sLIM] [2.5 inch] [stainless steel] - Dia=125mm / L=420mm u436300r.jpg £78.89       5 U446300R Round silencer box [TURBEX] [2.5 inch] [stainless steel] - Dia=100mm / L=625mm u446300r.jpg £87.86

Eventhough there is plenty space underneath I think you will find it hard to fit an oval shaped muffler (option 3). I also think, it may dampen the noise too much. I could be wrong though. 

Option 5 seems to be better fit down there, physically at least. 

Definitely the nicest of the exhaust changes you have done so far, the delete was too much.

Still sounds refined and good resonation but with a much improved tone over standard, it sounds at least as good as a 230 to me which is very reassuring.

Have you heard a 230 would that be accurate ?

Definitely the nicest of the exhaust changes you have done so far, the delete was too much.

Still sounds refined and good resonation but with a much improved tone over standard, it sounds at least as good as a 230 to me which is very reassuring.

Have you heard a 230 would that be accurate ?

It actually has a deeper undertone that the camera failed to pick up completely.

I haven't actually seen a 230 driving around in my area, I don't even think they are out yet over here.

The resonator has just gone through couple of fuel tank, around about 1200km worth of driving. Happy to report that the resonance I was telling you about has toned down quite significantly. 

I tried inducing the resonance by lugging the engine while driving around just this morning, can't seem to make it happen. 

IMO, this is an excellent (relatively cheap) alternative to getting a full exhaust system, good for those people that after just a bit of noise from the car. 

Note though, different brand has their own sound characteristic. Please research around to see what fits you better.

• Like 1