Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.4tdi Classic 2009 - Start Problem With key But Jump Start works

Chirag

Hi All,

I have Skoda Fabia 1.4 tdi classic diesel.

Currently I am facing 1 issue with my car is Starting the Car with Key.

When I turn on the Ignition and try to start it does not respond at all.

However Music System and Electricals are working absolutely fine so to me it looks like battery is not the issue here.

It easily gets started by JUMP start but does not respond with Key at all.

Looking for help on this if anyone faced this issue and got that resolved.

Thanks,

Chirag

Check the  wire going to the starter motor solenoid, the thinnest wire going to the starter.

These sometimes break close to the connector.

startersolenoid_zpse2d4b7f6%5B1%5D.png

ok Thank for replying Wino.

Is it possible that started motor itself is faulty ?

Do you think battery is okey ?

Thanks,

Chirag

Check the  wire going to the starter motor solenoid, the thinnest wire going to the starter.

These sometimes break close to the connector.

startersolenoid_zpse2d4b7f6%5B1%5D.png

ok Thank for replying Wino.

Is it possible that started motor itself is faulty ?

Do you think battery is okey ?

Thanks,

Chirag

Chirag,

Usually if the starter is faulty you hear a click form the engine bay when trying to start, but no cranking.

I made an assumption that when you say that JUMP starting works, you mean pushing the car along and then engaging gear to get the engine turning?

I would call that a Bump start; a Jump start being when you connect another car's battery to yours with thick wires, to add electrical energy. 

Which did you mean?

Chirag,

Usually if the starter is faulty you hear a click form the engine bay when trying to start, but no cranking.

I made an assumption that when you say that JUMP starting works, you mean pushing the car along and then engaging gear to get the engine turning?

I would call that a Bump start; a Jump start being when you connect another car's battery to yours with thick wires, to add electrical energy. 

Which did you mean?

Ah Yes I got it started by BUMP start i.e. pushing the car along and then engaging gear to get the engine turning.

Another pointer which I got here is- I can hear 2 tik tik sounds in engine compartment when I try to start with Key.

What does that mean ?

Somewhere on the internet i found that it is due to bad battery and battery is not providing enough power to turn on the engine ?

https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean-when-your-car-wont-start-and-it-makes-a-clicking-noise

http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/#click

What are your thoughts on this ?

Thanks,

Chirag Doda

Yes, if you do hear noises in the engine bay when you turn the key, that may well mean that the wire I pictured is OK.  But have a look at that wire anyway, if it's partly broken, you might get the symptoms you're seeing.

If the wire looks OK, then it would look like a battery problem. If it starts on the key with a jump start, that would be more evidence of battery problem.

Yes, if you do hear noises in the engine bay when you turn the key, that may well mean that the wire I pictured is OK.  But have a look at that wire anyway, if it's partly broken, you might get the symptoms you're seeing.

If the wire looks OK, then it would look like a battery problem. If it starts on the key with a jump start, that would be more evidence of battery problem.

Thanks Wino it is really nice discussing it with you.

I will try to JUMP start it today once I get free from office but do you think there can be some problem with Ignition Fuse ?

Somewhere on internet I have found Ignition Fuse Faulty for Skoda Fabia also cause such issues.

In case JUMP start also fails should we get Fuse box checked before running into fixing Starter motor.

Thanks,

Chirag Doda

Ignition switch maybe? I don't think there is a fuse associated with the starter, other than the main one that feeds everything in the cabin; which would cover the current that is going to the solenoid from the ignition switch.  If that was blown though, you would have no lights or radio.

Ignition switch maybe? I don't think there is a fuse associated with the starter, other than the main one that feeds everything in the cabin; which would cover the current that is going to the solenoid from the ignition switch.  If that was blown though, you would have no lights or radio.

Okey, then it might not be the cause in our case...let me try Jump start and will update this forum.

Thanks a ton for your time Wino....!!!!

You're welcome.

Please do let us know the outcome.

:)

Hi Wino,

I got battery checked up by local mechanic and it is perfectly fine so we can cross off Battery issue here.

What else comes to your mind now ?

Please help.

Thanks,

Chirag

You need to check the following

Battery (you say ok)

12v permanent live at the 13mm nut on the starter and that is secure.

Solenoid wire (as pictured) that it's intact and has 12v when cranking.

Engine earth lead (easy check clip a jump lead onto a metal part of the engine and the chassis/neg terminal.

If it bump starts and all of the above ok then it has to be the starter motor.

You need to check the following

Battery (you say ok)

12v permanent live at the 13mm nut on the starter and that is secure.

Solenoid wire (as pictured) that it's intact and has 12v when cranking.

Engine earth lead (easy check clip a jump lead onto a metal part of the engine and the chassis/neg terminal.

If it bump starts and all of the above ok then it has to be the starter motor.

Hi,

There is no cranking sound at all.

And on battery terminals it was around 12.5V and on start engine it was around 13.71V.

So I concluded battery is ok however I will get these things checked before getting into starter motor.

Thanks,

Chirag

Hi All,

I got it diagnosed by Car electrician, and according to him the problem is lying in the ignition switch and the starter motor itself is okey.

So now as per conveyed by mechanic the problem is either in the Ignition coupler or ignition switch.

And if ignition switch is faulty then its repair is very expensive otherwise coupler is approx Rs 2000 for Fabia.

Any one any suggesion here  or have some idea abot the expenses ?

Thanks,

Chirag

Hi All,

I git this rectified, in my case the problem was the ignition coupler only so it is now up and running fine so far.

Total expenses for this was around Rs 2000 INR.

Closing this thread and Thanks Wino for all your help.

Thank,

Chirag

That's the ignition switch, I think.

Yep, part number 5 here.  That may not be exactly the same part number, but I think it's the same functionally.

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. :)

Edited by Wino