96.1 mpg !

9k miles, do brim to brim, OBC optimistic by 6 to 7% every time. Surprised your petrol is so accurate.

The OBC is also surprisingly accurate on my 1.4tsi Superb II petrol.  Just filled up tonight tank to tank calculation 49.27mpg  the OBC showed 49.2mpg. 

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I don't often venture out of the Octavia Mk3 forum, but the topics there haven't reflected my principal interest about fuel consumption lately so this thread's title was a real attention grabber.

The results are incredible and I am trying to work out if there is something awfully wrong or right happening here.

I like it that @Lasttriumph has provided journey context and his own experience with his other cars because that is often a little sparse.

A longer journey at moderate speeds, light traffic, a good driver in good weather is always going to get good results, but this is exceeds any other published forum result I've seen by some margin.

The constant complaint from most diesel owners is how their consumption is adversely affected by dpf regeneration, but in this case I would have to question whether there is something 'wrong' with your diesel because it does not appear to be happening at all (?).

The consumption display on my 1.4tsi manual Octavia mk3 estate was actually 0.1L/100 pessimistic when new, but now at 2 years old appears 0.1 optimistic. Maybe it has something to do with tyre wear as I am still on the originals after 27,000 km?

I do a lot of short urban runs so have no chance of really good consumption. My long term results reset recently so currently shows 910 km at 6.1L/100 with at a woeful average speed of 36kph, and that included a longer run of 160km for 5L/100 at average 80kph.

I'd be interested to know what tyres are fitted and what pressures run?

Manual 150, long term average 52mpg.

Yesterday I drove 110 miles from the Midlands down to Bristol, M42, M5. Adaptive Cruise set on 75 or 80 most of the time, often travelling slower due to traffic. Long stretches of managed motorway and road works (average speed check) with 50mph limit so cruise set to 56mph.

Arrived showing 66mpg for the journey, amazing car!

With 2,000 miles under it's belt, the Superb continues to deliver.

I had a good 145 mile run the other day which returned 88.8 mpg.

image3_zpsum5k78mf.jpg

Which saw my tank range exceed 1,100 miles and 80.9 mpg for that tank . Some local running round later saw the tank average drop to 78 mpg over 1,112 miles.

image2a_zpsv16eqnen.jpg

But most impressive is that including all my local running round, the long term average since new has now crept up to 77 mpg.

image2_zpsquk9go4k.jpg

Can't complain at that.

I've checked these figures manually over two tanks now and report within 1 mpg accuracy.

At the end of the day, getting more than 1,100 miles from a 66 litre tank which is never fully drained backs this up.

Edited by Lasttriumph
  • Like 1

This is really impressive.. i dont do long motorway runs at the moment so only see around a long term of 43mpg due to the stop start short trips.

However i had a bit of motorway mileage today and pulled a 68.3 mpg without much effort.

What i am interested to know is how these MY17 cars are to the MY16 cars from an engine map point of view, are they like for like ?

On these long motorway drives, are how are you driving ? just thinking of variable factors ? are you sitting at 70 mph or less ? 

Edited by RickTT

[/url]">http://http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/prattmmc/media/20160919_175201_zpsv5wf9k7d.jpg.html'>20160919_175201_zpsv5wf9k7d.jpg

Well, I thought I'd see what I could do to contribute - and surprised myself with the results.

I'm just glad to have completed this self imposed task and can now get back to "normal" driving.

It's been excruciating and a massive challenge to self discipline - never again !

But over 900 miles on one tank.......big surprise.

Edited by prattmmc

I thought I was doing well but now I'm wondering why my 1.9 pd Octavia is drinking the fuel at such an alarming rate!  My best tank so far was a return of 68.5mpg (828miles to a 55ltr tank) calculated by fuel put in to miles driven.  The trip computer said 83mpg which I knew would be wrong.  My current average is in my signature and based on 7797 miles but about to fuel up again and update the mileage.

• Like 1