Front Tyre Wear.... quick wear rate (150bhp tdi)

• 8 months later...

Just had the Bridgestone Potenzas' replaced at 68k miles. They've lasted 29k, so down on what the OEM Pirellis lasted (39k).

Replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1, so it'll be interesting to see how they last & perform.

Be interested to know what people’s recommendations are for the quietest/most comfortable/most durable tyres.

Had standard fit Contis on my Octy, the fronts last to 27k. Rears still going. Can’t say they set the standard in any particular area.

1 hour ago, MorrisOx said:

Be interested to know what people’s recommendations are for the quietest/most comfortable/most durable tyres.

Had standard fit Contis on my Octy, the fronts last to 27k. Rears still going. Can’t say they set the standard in any particular area.

Tyres have changed a lot in the last decade, and even the last five years. Some of the previously more budget brands have moved up in the world (Nankang are now Porsche OEM fit, for example!). That said, I don't think you can beat Michelin for grip, comfort, or longevity overall.

I've just changed my front tyres at 25k miles. They were down to below 3mm, which is my personal limit.

There's plenty  of depth still on the rears, despite it being a 4x4...I guess the Haldex isn't putting the drive through the rears too often, despite our driving "enthusiastically" round the lanes here.

I went for a like for like replacements on the front...Continental again.

I have Contis on both our "normal" cars, the 280 L&K and the 1.2litre diesel Corsa, just because that's what they came with when supplied.

(The 280 does the long journeys and the Corsa does round town).

There is definitely more tyre noise on the new Contis than the old set, which is disappointing.

Our fun car (a 15 year old SLK32 AMG) runs on Michelins Pilot Sport, (but only comes out the garage 1st May to 31st Oct and only does about 4k miles per year, so not relevant).

I tend to stick with the same manufacturer on all four wheels, rather than mix, say, Conti front and Pirellis rear.

I'd only change tyre manufacturer on a car if changing all four tyres at once.

I used to run Pirellis on BMWs, but found they wore really quickly. 

I think for me it comes down to a perception of quality...Continental = German, versus Pirelli = Italian or Michelin = French, or the lower cost non-European brands.

Illogical, but what else to use as a choice criterion when the market choice is so large...Phil