Company Phone reasons to persuade boss to use my own

nokiauk

Basically carrying 2 phones is a pain.

I get a company mobile which is Windows 10 based (Nokia 830), costs the company £5 per month for the sim, handsets are purchased outright. All calls/texts to company owned lines land and mobile are free and 1GB of data also. I don't use the phone that much, mainly for 1 week a month for on-call. There are no minutes allowances so all other calls/texts are charged.

We used to be able to make personal calls but our finance dept don't want to bill staff for these calls.

I therefore have a personal phone (iPhone) and have grown tired of having both phones. Given I get free calls/texts, 5gb of data etc. I'd have no problems using this for company business including the on-call.

Problem is any calls made to my personal mobile would be charged to my company as its not a mobile/ landline owned by them.

Personally I think if the handset cost and monthly cost would cost more than any calls made to me, but would like to basically suggest to my boss I use my own phone for everything.

This isn't a debate of Windows Phone vs iPhone, if I could use the company phone for personal use I would, only really use it for web/email and not loads of fancy apps.

Thanks.

You need a phone that takes 2 SIMs - one for personal and one for business each with their own phone number.  Different ring tone, etc. for each SIM.  You could use the existing SIMS (although they may need to be exchanged for different sizes of SIMs).  When making a call you can choose which SIM to use.  No iPhone offers this facility but many other phones do.

I have similar issue but luckily the company allow personal use so I only carry one phone.

Use the divert function I think is best - perhaps drop a note out to people advising that calls will be diverted from one number to another.

If you want to keep your existing handset, then a divert is the best option for you set up with your provider.

Personally I have a phone that takes 2 SIM cards (Oneplus 3) that are on different networks and it is very straightforwards to manage, being able to receive calls and texts on both SIM cards at the same time as well as choosing which to use for outgoing texts, phone calls and data.

The issue with using your phone for company use is many companies policies and exchange server policies is that they have the right to inspect your phone at any time, and in the case of accessing exchange servers may involve giving them full access to your device including admin rights to track, read data from, and wipe your phone remotely. You'll likely have no choice but to hand over your phone for inspection any time they request it without any choice in the matter.

As an example they could demand to inspect your device and go through all your texts, personal emails or social media posts. You could find yourself falling foul of your IT policies.

Although a pain, I'd either divert your personal phone to your work phone and leave it at home, or carry on with 2 phones.

Personally I prefer keeping work & private separate. I know someone who used to use theirs and ended up in hot water over their social media, and also ended up with their IT sending a kill/wipe command in error when another staff member left losing them irreplaceable pictures of their daughter as a baby. It wipe the cloud backups as well! (isn't IOS great?)

Thanks for the replies

Fortunately I work within ICT so this helps, I use the OWA app on iPhone for access to company mail on O365 so luckily don't have Exchange policies to worry about.

May have to look at dual sim options.

Do you get emailed personal information about customers (more than names and addresses)?

Also think about if you get told anything about a customer that releases personal information in other ways (i.e. knock hard at for Mrs Smith she's hard of hearing - that's technically medical information and also indicates a vulnerable individual so - Sensitive Personal Data).

^ any of that, run far far away from putting it near any of your own gear.

Also consider what would happen if any accusations were made against you? Could your boss demand your phone, could he demand you wipe it?

World of pain.

The issue with using your phone for company use is many companies policies and exchange server policies is that they have the right to inspect your phone at any time, and in the case of accessing exchange servers may involve giving them full access to your device including admin rights to track, read data from, and wipe your phone remotely. You'll likely have no choice but to hand over your phone for inspection any time they request it without any choice in the matter.

As an example they could demand to inspect your device and go through all your texts, personal emails or social media posts. You could find yourself falling foul of your IT policies.

That is exactly how our IT works and why I point blank refuse to use my phone for anything work related other than the odd call, and even then that's pushing it.  If they want me to be available and use mobile apps and data allowances to access work info on the move then they need to provide the hardware and service...

• Like 1