SE Vs SE/L trim comparison

Hi all

I'm currently trying to decide between SE and SE/l (or Elegance which i think are the same) trim level for an Octavia estate.

I couldnt find a side by side comparison so i've cobbled one together using the info supplied by Broadspeed.com quote builder. 

I cant speak to their accuracy but it has helped me decide its the SE/l level im after. 

I tried posting from the spreadsheet to the posting page but it came up as a load of jumbled text so ive just attached the spreadsheet here if anybody else would find it useful. 

I did have a quick search on here and couldnt find something similar but apologies if i missed your previous hard work.

Skoda spec comparison.xls

If you are buying new have a look at the SE Sport. I was going for an SE, but ended up pushing the button on a SE Sport, which had loads of extras over the SE. Ok its a bit of a parts bin special but for me it represented good value for money.

The issue with Broadspeed, Leasing made simple, Orangewheels etc is the Data & Spec they have came from Skoda CZ or UK and Skoda & build spec 

and comparisons is pretty dire.

So take it all with a pinch of salt and as 'they say'  things can change. 

& Skoda are changing plenty presently on various models.

Maybe get Skoda UK Customer Services to forward to you the very latest Spec for the models you want as they will be built and supplied.

Surely they can do that. after all they are 'Simply Clever' just not with IT & the Internet or Printed Brochures.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Take a look at the brochure - https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/brochure/brochure_octavia.pdf - pages 21 to 24 show the difference between the specs.

From what I can see the SE-L has:

• Boot storage fixing
  • Textle floor mat set
  • rear armrest (Hatch Only)
  • 3 spoke leather MFSW with controls for radio and telephone
  • Amundsen touchscreen satellite navigation system and integrated Wi-Fi
  • Colour Maxi DOT trip computer
  • Front assist
  • Cruise Control
  • Intelligent light assistant with high beam control
  • Telescopic front headlight washers

It also has different wheels and alcantara and leather interior.

Edit: just seen your looking at used. This is the latest brochure so there will be some changes :(

Edited by SimonD316

Unless you're paying cash and intent on keeping the car, it's not really the best idea to look at used. There are so many great lease deals out there, it almost renders used pointless in my opinion.

Yeah I wouldn't buy used Octavia either.

With the cheap PCH and 0% PCP its not worth paying £14k for used and inheriting someone's car problems...

I've managed to find an old brochure from October 2014, and the differences between SE and Elegance are pretty much the same as the latest model:

• Boot storage fixing
  • Textile floor mat set
  • Hatch Only - Rear armrest with 2 cupholders and load-through provision
  • Estate Only - Variable boot floor
  • 4 spoke leather MFSW with controls for radio and telephone
  • ‘Amundsen’ touchscreen satellite navigation system
  • Colour Maxi DOT trip computer
  • Front assist
  • Cruise control
  • Intelligent light assistant with high beam control
  • Telescopic front headlight washers
  • 17" ‘Teron’ alloys
  • Black or Beige ‘Alcantara’ and leather

Thanks all, that's very helpful info. I was looking at paying cash and planning on (hopefully) keeping it for a long time. I have the cash at the moment so buying outright feels like the right move. Having said that I've never used pcp or pch and I am a bit uneasy with paying for the credit.

Just had a very quick look at some pch details. Can get a se/l estate for £282.43 pm for 26 months - so that's £7,343.18 for two and a bit years.

So roughly speaking if the cars lasts me more than 4 years I'm on the right side of things if I buy for approx £14k. Am I missing something plainly obvious? I do roughly 9k miles per year.

I've read some pretty bad things about the pcp deals on the Octavia on here so would probably steer clear of those

Edited by DonDan27
  • Like 1

Get a good discount on the list price then buy it with Skoda Finance on the 0% PCP, there aren't any charges its free. 

Bonus is you dont have to pay out all your savings in one go, and you have a completely new car under warranty for 3 years, rather than paying £14k for something with probably 1 year warranty left and who knows how many faults and worn items, brakes, tyres etc.

If you're keeping it for a long time, 5 years+ then a good discount with 0% is the cheapest way. Just pay the payments out of your savings.

They even give you £1000 deposit and £500 free fuel card.

Have a go on the finance calculator, they go up to 42 months, you  might have to chose a lower spec model, SE for example to simulate the discounted list price you would get. SEL 1.4 DSG estates, seem to go for about £19k.

Edited by glosrich

Thanks Glosrich, thinking about it, i suppose the issues with pcp are when you're planning on handing it back, as im not it shouldnt be an issue.

Costing one up on Broadspeed, it comes in at £19,350 compared to offers from Carwow at £21k.

So it would be approx £5k more than im looking to spend at the moment, though spread over 4 years, so £1,250 per year for having a brand new car and full warranty.

Do dealers tend to end up coming pretty close to the broadspeed figures if i bring the printouts with me or do people usually end up going through the online companies? 

Thanks Glosrich, thinking about it, i suppose the issues with pcp are when you're planning on handing it back, as im not it shouldnt be an issue.

Costing one up on Broadspeed, it comes in at £19,350 compared to offers from Carwow at £21k.

So it would be approx £5k more than im looking to spend at the moment, though spread over 4 years, so £1,250 per year for having a brand new car and full warranty.

Do dealers tend to end up coming pretty close to the broadspeed figures if i bring the printouts with me or do people usually end up going through the online companies?

Also try drivethedeal - they will give you an instant discounted price without the need to wait for dealers to get back to you.

Thanks vtec to vrs, excuse my ignorance but if you do go through one of the online brokers, am i correct in assuming that the eventual deal is done with a authorised skoda dealer and so you still get the deposit contribution and fuel card?

Thanks vtec to vrs, excuse my ignorance but if you do go through one of the online brokers, am i correct in assuming that the eventual deal is done with a authorised skoda dealer and so you still get the deposit contribution and fuel card?

Yeah that's right - drivethedeal will highlight the offers the dealers are offering on the page when you put your request through.

Carwow you will get the same, albeit you will deal direct with the dealer after getting your price through.

So the only potential downside to using one of these online brokers is their pretty small finders fee and the possibility of the dealer with the lowest price not being the nearest?

From a quick look it seems as if Broadspeed are approx £2k cheaper which is pretty significant 

Even with a good deal i can't see how buying new makes sense?

The 1st year depreciation is horrific based on what i paid for a 1 year old elegance DSG (with 10K on the clock).

List was something like 22.5K and i paid 13.9K for it.

My maths isn't brilliant but it would appear the car lost a third of value in a year (and probably explains why so many pcp deals are in negative value).

The car isn't ragged as i had a mechanic friend check it over.

Couple of stone chips and a minor scuff that buffed out.

The interior was pristine.

It even has a spare.

You can get a 1.6 Diesel elegance for under 13K in manual on a 2015 plate (10K on the clock) - Quick Autotrader check.

That was my inital thinking. What's complicated the issue slightly is im looking for an automatic, petrol, elegance/SEL which seem to be pretty few and far between. When they do come up they seem to be in the £15k ish range

At that level, the thought process is is it worth an extra £4k to get a brand new one.

Ive also been toying with the idea of maybe looking for an old style mark 3 with higher mileage (but still petrol/automatic/elegance). There's one showing on the skoda used car section at £10,495 (in Cappuccino Beige - which must be the least inspiring colour choice ive come across), though it is in Carlisle so about 250 miles away which would make viewing it impossible. 

Even with a good deal i can't see how buying new makes sense?

The 1st year depreciation is horrific based on what i paid for a 1 year old elegance DSG (with 10K on the clock).

List was something like 22.5K and i paid 13.9K for it.

My maths isn't brilliant but it would appear the car lost a third of value in a year (and probably explains why so many pcp deals are in negative value).

The car isn't ragged as i had a mechanic friend check it over.

Couple of stone chips and a minor scuff that buffed out.

The interior was pristine.

It even has a spare.

You can get a 1.6 Diesel elegance for under 13K in manual on a 2015 plate (10K on the clock) - Quick Autotrader check.

Agreed, if you want to change car every 2, 3 or 4 years then buying new is very expensive, even with a big discount and 0% finance.

But if you get a good discount, use the 0% finance and want to keep it for 5 years +, the longer the better, then the depreciation is spread out a lot, and you get a new car, rather than inheriting someone else's abused vehicle.

Ok, not every used car has been abused, but a lot were ex rentals or may have had a crash, or generally neglected.

Some are nice and well looked after, but in my experience they are few and far between and usually dealers want stupidly high prices for them.

• Like 1

That was my inital thinking. What's complicated the issue slightly is im looking for an automatic, petrol, elegance/SEL which seem to be pretty few and far between. When they do come up they seem to be in the £15k ish range

At that level, the thought process is is it worth an extra £4k to get a brand new one.

Ive also been toying with the idea of maybe looking for an old style mark 3 with higher mileage (but still petrol/automatic/elegance). There's one showing on the skoda used car section at £10,495 (in Cappuccino Beige - which must be the least inspiring colour choice ive come across), though it is in Carlisle so about 250 miles away which would make viewing it impossible. 

To be fair i was looking at exactly the same car but couldn't find a petrol which would be more suitable for what i do / distances, etc. (DPF).

I've had the diesel a year now and it's not put a foot wrong and seems to happily regen on its own with no issues.

I'm more worried about the DSG lasting than the engine :)

The main difference between the SE & Elegance/SE L is the price, on my 14 plate DSG TSI it was about £1,800 more than the SE

This will be reflected in the second hand price also though, how much well, I'd only be guessing. What I do know is the Elegance is a much nicer place to be, everything feels well 'nice' from the auto dimming rear view mirrors, the folding wing mirrors to the plush bits you sit your arse on, it's just nice.

Mine goes back next year but, do avoid mine, it's NOT had a easy life

I have a '13 plate Elegance, and I got it over the SE for the centre armrest, cruise control and sat nav primarily, although there was quite a list of differences on the '13 plate (I particularly like the alcantara seats as it happens).

My two penneth about new vs. used and cash vs. PCP/PCH takes the form of a challenge to all the new car addicts:

List price for my car (with a couple of options) would have been £21k, give or take.

When I was buying the online broker price (as first registered keeper, UK spec) was around £17.5k.

I bought a 1yr old car with 14k miles on the clock for £14.5k

I plan to keep it a while, so if you assume that I drop £12k over 6 years that's £2k/yr or <£170k/month.

My last car was a 9 month old Focus that was filled with extras for which I paid £12.3k, and when I chopped it in almost 6 years and just over 80k miles later I got £2.4k for it. That's less than £10k net over almost 6 years doing 14k miles/yr.

Show me the PCP/PCH deal that betters that and I might buy my first ever new car...