How did you buy your vrs?

Thomson

OK so I don't own and have never driven a VRS but I did watch the Top Gear episode mentioned above. As I recall their conclusions, I might have expected all the talk on here to be about handling mods but upgraded turbos and maps seem to dominate - just a bit surprised, that's all.

Why go round the corner quicker when you can just get to the corner itself quicker :p

• Like 3

Bought mine off ebay after winning the bid.

This is my 2nd fabia and bought the 1st the same way off ebay.

1st 1 turned out to be a real lemon..literally could say i got scammed . but 1st buy and all i had to take it on the chin.

But this one i have now i sent few messages via ebay  1st before bidding .

after i won the bid we spoke some and goes if its not as advertised then you dont have to buy it.

He actually was a member on here. Was 1st owner and had it 10years and completely standard. 

Well chuffed with the purchase and experience.

• Like 1

Yep, same here.

Aug/Sept 2006, went to local Skoda dealer, test drove one, then went elsewhere and drove a Bini Cooper. Went back to Skoda and bought one. 10 years later I still have it.

Snap. September 2004 went to BMW and drove a Mini Cooper. Popped into skoda and test drove the fabia (went in to look at the octy) Went home and placed an order through my bank.

After owning a 1.4 polo 9n as first car, I loved them so wanted another with more power... Looked at the 9n3 Gti but was way too uneconomical for me, so looked for ages to find the polo gt tdi (pd130) only around 600 in the uk so a rarer car, they were way too expensive! Second choice was a fabia, after looking for around 6 months I came across a local briskoda member Tom Kidd's fabia (I'd been using the site to research into the fabia's) two day later went down had a good chat and ended up bringing the old girl home! I've had it since March done around 12K in it and loved it!

Seen mine on eBay at a garage, went and viewed it on a weekend, went back on the Monday, when they put it on the forecourt they had added £500 so I said after I put a deposit down that the price on Internet was £500 difference they quickly checked and apologised, it had less than 6 months mot so they put it through and it failed on needing a new front tyre and the balljoint was knackered, so they got it done, no history so I got the timing belt done @115k I then cleaned out the EGR valve full of carbon crap, done a service, checked previous mots, 4 years and still going, 159k serviced regular not doing high miles like before, changed some components like brakes, pads, filters, calipers, rear shocks, bump stops, new recon turbo @ 151k, going to spoil her for 160k full service. Best car I've had, 585 miles run up to Scotland. 10 hr drive. Hopefully years of cheap motoring ahead.

• Like 2

just wonder how most people found theirs?

Gumtree? eBay? Piston heads? Briskoda?

How long were you looking before you decided it was "the one"?

Bought my old Fabia from an advert from a trader on here. I wasn't really looking at all as I was happy with my Leon at the time. But the ad was for a bright yellow Fabia with virtually the same engine, hybrid turbo, and tons of mods. I rang up, I went and test drove it, and then before I knew it I was on my way back up to Warrington to pick it up and worrying about how I was going to shift the Leon.

As for the handling mods, as someone else says, you can't polish a turd. My Fabia had all the typical VW handling mods (Cupra bushes, RARB, coilovers) as well as a limited slip diff, and I swear the knackered standard Clio 172 that I replaced it with went round corners even better on its standard suspension setup and geometry so out of whack it had worn one front tyre almost down to the cords on the shoulder in the three months I owned it.

• 3 months later...

I bought mine 2nd hand from a private seller with 82K on the clock, now 149K

Travelled from Oxford to other side of London to get it.

I originally had a gas guzzler before and was giving work up to go back to uni. Seemed like the ideal choice at the time. Pretty good on fuel and fun to drive. That was over 6 years ago. Been a good loyal car up until now.

Bought mine brand new back in 2007 - was looking at a second hand 56 plate when I heard about the SE coming out. As I like blue as a colour I opted to spend the extra few grand and get one. I love it but it's currently testing me with faults.... :(

The year was 2012, and I was told to fly to Germany and buy a car. At the same time I was told that I can get five days to do it and then I should run Baasel airport and retrieve passengers from there.
I thought at first that almost any diesel car is suitable for me.
In the end, my car was supposed to be 5-door, xenon lights, gps system, these were the criteria which chose the car.

I found a small town where was still a small car dealership. There was the original and the first owner.
I was lucky I did just a 10 minute test run, and I said that I'll take this.
In the following days in advance in Germany about 2200 km, and from there traveled through Denmark and Sweden up to Umeå.
From there I took a ferry which I came to Finland.
All in all, I traveled 3500 km From when I bought the car and drove it home.

I used www.Mobile.de web site as I watched cars.

I have been driving my car now, 120.000 km and a total mileage is now 270.000Km
Fabia has worked okay.

Oh, so it was an interesting trip. I do not speak more than two words in German ...
The seller did not speak English at all ....
But then it is already a different story ....

• Like 1

Good to hear people's story's. I kept looking on gumtree and there mostly ones that have been modded. Just started looking on eBay and there's a lot more standard ones. So just keeping an eye out. Hard to find one with the mileage price and service history you want as well as the colour. I was trying to find a black one with a sunroof but there very rare to find in the spec I want. So doesn't matter about the sunroof now.

Must be something about them if a few people still have them after ten years new?

Sold my year old Fiesta ST last September and picked up the VRS for £1700 with 130k after seeing it on Autotrader, 13 miles away. Had 2 VRSs before but newer and less miles. Turns out this one runs much better than both of them

Edited by Yaris