Cost for 1st Service - Variable Servicing

• 5 weeks later...

How do I know if I am on fixed or variable service intervals???

Go to the service section in the cars menu, it will tell you the time and distance until the next service is due.

Post this info together with when you got the car, how many miles it had on then and now and its service history and we'll be able to tell you whether its on fixed or variable.

Whether on fixed (12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first) or variable / long life (up to 2 years or 20,000 miles, the car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil) then you shouldn't be paying more for than £149 for the first service.

Sure, Skoda UK put caveats on their fixed pricing policy (cars over 3 years old, cars on fixed intervals only etc.) but any decent dealer will acknowledge and accept that all that is done on the first service is fresh oil, new oil filter and a quick once over the levels etc. i.e. a minor or fixed service @ £149.

A major or variable service adds a pollen filter, air filter, fuel filter (diesel) and spark pugs (petrol) on top of the minor or fixed service, however in the small print there is "only replaced if required" which for almost all cars in the Skoda range isn't until at least 3 years old or 60,000 miles. Therefore anyone paying £269 for a service before then is paying more than they should be.

There are plenty of dealers out there who will happily charge you £269 for a variable service when all they are carrying out is a £149 minor or fixed service. It all comes down to how bothered you are to save £120 and how prepared you are to stand your ground at the service desk when handing over the keys. Knowledge is power.

Call me cynical but I believe this was one of the reasons service books are no longer used. Remember the little book in the glovebox that explained what and when needed replacing? Skoda would rather you didn't know. You're then more likely to take it into the dealer and trust what they tell you. Oh dear.

Edited by silver1011

Had mine done at my local tyre fitters, using skoda parts , oil change was £90, took receipt, to my dealers and they logged it on their computer , due to it being under warranty

Had mine serviced on Friday 1st Variable Service £245 all in. When I asked what was the difference between an annual oil service and a Variable oil service I was told the pollen filter is changed and more items are inspected.

Overall I was happy, had 3 recalls carried out, Panoramic Roof doesnt close from the key now, Chrome mouldings on doors were modified and modification no2 to screen washers.

Going back in 2 weeks for rear suspension bushes to be changed to cure rear suspension noise.

For those that have had services recently - were there any software updates that needed to be applied to the car? Mines in next week, I want to make sure evertyhing is covered.

Had mine serviced on Friday 1st Variable Service £245 all in. When I asked what was the difference between an annual oil service and a Variable oil service I was told the pollen filter is changed and more items are inspected.

£96 for a pollen filter!  :sweat:

More items are listed as being inspected but they aren't. Inspecting the car and finding faults is what makes the dealer money. The same things are checked whether in for the minor or major service.

I phoned Transcity Walthamstow yesterday to ask about the 'oil service' my dash is now asking for. I expected to be told £149 as mentioned in this thread only to be told 'we are in London so that doesn't apply to us. It will be £259 and we can fit you in in about 2 weeks time'.

The independant I've always used for many years and I trust assures me them servicing it will not affect the warranty so I'm letting them do it tomorrow - for around half the cost. They will change it to variable from fixed too. I have checked and there are no recalls to be done that might have swayed the decision.

Strange, their are no location restrictions on Skoda UK's website...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Drop them a quick email and let them know that one of their franchised dealers isn't playing by the rules...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

As long as your trusted independent uses genuine parts then there should be no issues with your manufacturers warranty.

Same for me today. Car was in after a year for a few minor issues. Asked how much the first variable service would be in a few months. £289 sir. Ok, how much if on fixed service? £149 sir. Is the service the same? Yes sir pretty much. £289 regardless of what we have to replace.

Very strange, I booked mine in over the phone (transferred to a central call centre) £222.15, this is an oil and filter change plus screen wash 

This was for a 1st variable service (12 months & 18,500 miles)

Very strange, I booked mine in over the phone (transferred to a central call centre) £222.15, this is an oil and filter change plus screen wash 

This was for a 1st variable service (12 months & 18,500 miles)

Had my Superb just over a year first service is due 18/10/2017, that is according to the attached sticker located on the side of the drivers side dash board, only visible when you open the door.

post-132346-0-12651400-1480793335_thumb.jpg

Edited by roughrider10

• 3 years later...

Hi Just had the 1st service for my Karoq which was free on a plan but for what they do on a 1st service £256 is a rip off. Just changed the oil and filter and looked over the car, or rather walked under the car with a camera whilst telling me it was all ok ( total waste of time ). Afterwards told me the wiper blades were shot and needed replacing @ £42-80p. The car has done only 4600 miles and probably only 600 miles in the rain so why are they shot??? Why would I want to spend £42 on another set of obviously poor quality blades? I'll buy top quality ones for £25 and fit myself, at least then I'm not being ripped off. The service at my local dealership is p--- poor and wish I had never gone there in the 1st place.