Oil Level & Fault Code

DamoR

Bonjour!

I've been the proud owner of a MK2 vRS now for a week and today is the first chance i have had to look over a few things. i've made some changes with Carista app to enable a few little tweaks but during this i also did a scan.

I scanned the car with Torque when i was buying it and nothing showed up but Carista has shown up 2 faults... on with the Aircon that i cleared so will see if that comes back and also P10FE on the engine?? I cant find any info on P10FE anywhere.. anyone have any ideas?

Also i checked the oil level after i had been for a drive (car had been stood for a good 15 mins before checking) and the oil level seems really high! She has just had a service at skoda (less than 700 miles ago) so i would expect the oil level to be correct but its up to the round orange bit on the dipstick (if that makes sense?)

I know over filling can cause damage on some cars so im after some advice as to what to do next??

Thanks and sorry its a long one 

Welcome.

Dip it cold this morning if the car is on the flat.

The oil 'should not be higher' than between the top of the cross hatch and the top orange marker. 

So above half way between and someone has put 3.9 litres of oil in likely.  (The capacity is 3.6 litres, i put in 4 litres of 5w 40 FS VW502 00)

Open the drivers door, put the key in and start the engine. stop it right away.

Dip the oil.   It might be just at the top of the cross hatch.    That shows the same as a Hot Check.

You get a hot check running the car for at least 10 miles and the oil at around an indicated 80*oC.

Stop and wait 4 or 5 minutes and dip it.   (The manual says a few minutes, that is not 15 or so.)

Anyway hopefully the oil is at the top of the cross hatch with a Hot Check.

If the Oil is higher than that go ask at the dealership what the technician used for Oil and how much oil they put in.

it might have been 4.2 litres and they need to take out oil. & sign a letter to you that they over filled it.

*Is there a Service Sheet or Invoice with the car showing the parts used. ?

& look at the Oil filter and tell me what one they use, Silver or Black & a VW/Audi one or something else.*

No idea on that fault code off the top of my head,

but i seem to remember it once when a car had gone into limp mode, but no misfires were showing.

Not my picture, taken from Google Images.  Crap Dip Sticks to read though, especially with clean new oil.

Cold dips make sense if you know how much oil you put in at the service.

Then you can check before going on a trip or starting a journey, not once moving and getting oil up to operating temperature. 'Simply Clever'.

*The oil cold without the engine started should not be on the round bar above the stamped area in a 1.4 TSI Twincharger.*

post-86161-0-04917000-1475997740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

PS

I hope you got a good Warranty with the car when you bought it, and read the conditions, if you have not got the Policy Booklet have the Dealer Supply it. 

If you have not got a warranty or once it expires you had best buy one from Skoda at least for 12 months.

Best get a print out by the Dealership of the Service History on the Skoda System and the Warranty History if any, 

Breather Pipe Mod, Software Update, Oil Consumption Test, New Oil Spray Jets, Heated Seat Element / Switch or anything else.

and if all Service Campaign Work was done.  Like the Service Campaign on the DSG if your car was one needing it.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Edited by Offski

Thanks for the reply George (i presume) 

Right i dipped it this afternoon COLD and here is the result:

14585581_1146114435480940_1092962632_o.j

Then i thought my drive isnt completely flat so i moved the car to the road (about 20ft) and dipped again but couldn't see any oil so i added about 3-500ml of oil and it then showed this:

14614296_1146114452147605_216494442_o.jp

I then went for a 10 mile drive, the oil warmed up and got to 89*c, i then pulled up at home let it sit for about 4 mins and dipped again:

14614275_1146114488814268_1513002605_o.j

So im now thinking that the oil may be too low! but if it was serviced less than 800 miles ago there is no way i could have used that much surely? The car has always been serviced by Skoda and has full service history and is on 43800 miles.

I checked with the girl in Skoda the other day to see if there were any recalls that needed doing and she said there was nothing outstanding but only mentioned that the oil in the DSG box had been changed??

I bought the car privately so have no warranty with it.. do you recommend getting Skoda to cover it? will they?

The girl in Skoda offered me a service plan when i was there but i haven't agreed to anything as of yet.

There was no mention of ECU upgrade or Oil breathers??

Ive put the VIN in on the link you sent but is just says

"Dear customer,

No relevant recall campaigns have been launched by ŠKODA for the entered VIN"

Cheers Damo

Edited by DamoR

Best 'While the car has no known issues',   Go buy the Skoda Warranty.

There is a post down the page with the link, or someone might post it here.

Fill in the cars details, Reg no. & Miles and the cover you want and it will show a price.

It might be the best £300 or less you ever pay.  

• Like 1

What you reckon to the oil situation?

i found the warranty site... whats best to go for, all component cover or named component? named component seems to cover engine gearbox ect? comes in at £306 with £250 excess

Skoda warranty.    What do i think of the Oil?    Top up using 5w 40 do not overfill.   & BUY THE SKODA WARRANTY, nobody elses!

Seems higher than others are paying.  but WORTH EVERY PENNY, because the bill is over £4,500 if you happen to have engine failure.

Brian69 can tell us the price his Warranty was this year, his is a 2010 2 owner though, slightly lower mileage.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

What you reckon to the oil situation?

i found the warranty site... whats best to go for, all component cover or named component? named component seems to cover engine gearbox ect? comes in at £306 with £250 excess

All component without a doubt - there's a limit of £1,000 with named component cover.

I just renewed there at £165 with £250 excess (car first registered on 30/09/10 and on 31,000 miles) - I then cancelled due to an unexpected change in circumstances (car has gone  :'( ) - as it was within the first 14 days the full £165 was refunded.

Edited by Brian69

All component without a doubt - there's a limit of £1,000 with named component cover.

I just renewed there at £165 with £250 excess (car first registered on 30/09/10 and on 31,000 miles) - I then cancelled due to an unexpected change in circumstances (car has gone  :'( ) - as it was within the first 14 days the full £165 was refunded.

Cheers Brian, 

I think i will get it covered, last thing i want is a £6k paper weight... 

And the answer to your question about the oil filter George is.. its a silver VAG one..

• Like 1

OK.   & they probably used 5w 30 FS Long Life oil (VW504 00) 

Some engines do use oil for a bit after an oil change. 

There can be a drop and then it just settles to maybe a top up on occasion or uses none.

So do not overfil.  If on a cold dip you have oil to just above the top of the cross hatch that is fine.

Short trips might have it using more oil where the engine is not getting the oil hot.

Once you have covered 5-6 miles do not be afraid to boot it.

Best buy Tesco Momentum 99 if you can, Shell V-Power Nitro + if you must, or other Super Unleaded if that is what suits, do not run Unleaded 95 ron.

chill.

• Like 1

OK.   & they probably used 5w 30 FS Long Life oil (VW504 00) 

Some engines do use oil for a bit after an oil change. 

There can be a drop and then it just settles to maybe a top up on occasion or uses none.

So do not overfil.  If on a cold dip you have oil to just above the top of the cross hatch that is fine.

Short trips might have it using more oil where the engine is not getting the oil hot.

Once you have covered 5-6 miles do not be afraid to boot it.

Best buy Tesco Momentum 99 if you can, Shell V-Power Nitro + if you must, or other Super Unleaded if that is what suits, do not run Unleaded 95 ron.

chill.

I only use Shell V-power prob a bit of overkill but i used it all the time in my focus ST and it worked well in that. 

and i think i will wait until the warranty has kicked in in 30 days to Boot it properly!  :D

also.. is it normal for the brakes to feel like they are made from 10 year old wagon wheels?

also.. is it normal for the brakes to feel like they are made from 10 year old wagon wheels?

I found the brakes to be OK, even if the discs did corrode quicker than an empty can of Heinz baked beans left out in the rain.

Edited by Brian69

I found the brakes to be OK, even if the discs did corrode quicker than an empty can of Heinz baked beans left out in the rain.

If i give it some beans on the loud pedal it takes a hell of a lot of effort to stop it!  :notme:  all within speed limits obviously!  :D

• Like 1

Shell V-Power Nitro+ is 99 ron OK, but then the 'Special Secret detergent package' might not be the best for a Twincharger that can suffer with Bore Wash.

The Brake Fluid should be changed at 3 years and then 2 yearly, but that does not stop there from being crap brakes.

Something to check is what has been done to the car possibly by previous owners, because they can change, 

Steering Assist, Brake Assist & the XDS Setting, then the Weights can be off the rear.  Worth seeing if the car is still as 'Factory'.

do you reckon tesco 99 ron is better then? also how do i check if the steering and brake assist is still factory setting? ive heard about these weights on the rear... where are they and should i remove? sorry for all the questions!  :sweat:

Warranty bought and paid for today! I have a feeling it may be the best £300 i've ever spent after reading the horror stories on here! 

Yes, but don't let that stop you from enjoying your car. Most are in fact ok. Just keep an eye on things. Keep a warranty going and you'll be fine I'm sure. 

• Like 2

It will be, best piece of mind you can get.

Drive the car however you want now without thinking "whats that noise" and checking the oil every few weeks thinking "has it dropped" "is it using more than it should"

Just enjoy it now :)

Warranty bought and paid for today! I have a feeling it may be the best £300 i've ever spent after reading the horror stories on here! 

Have just done the same. Planning on keeping the car for at least a year so it was a no-brainer.

• Like 1