Heated Windscreen option ?

Just a quick question on this: I noticed that heated windscreen fitted cars have an interesting appearance when looked at in direct sun light with glasses: the windscreen has a colorly glow, a pinkish-green-amber glow, to be more precise.

The dealer told me that heated windscreens have an extra treatment that block the sun radiation, so when driving in direct sunlight you do not get that hot effect on you.

Can someone confirm if this is true, or just Marketing babble ? 

I am not interested in the heated windreen option per-say, as I have underground parking, but would be interested if the windscreen is really offering some added sun protection vs. the standard windscreen.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

I had last two Mondeos with heated IR resistant windshields and encountered no problems with GPS reception.

To the topic: I recall from some brochure that the heated windscreen is also IR coated. Very handy option, keeps inside temperature more stable.

• Like 1

Mate why don't you just get shut of your car and buy something else ?

Mate, we are not so rich to buy new cars every year. Maybe you are... Škoda is producing defected cars and is not taking any responsibility for that. That's our fault that we choose to buy this f...ing product. Therefore, mate, so, shut up you! This forum is for all of us all to exchange our experience.  And experience with Škoda Superb III so far f...ing terrible.

• Like 1

Mate, we are not so rich to buy new cars every year. Maybe you are... Škoda is producing defected cars and is not taking any responsibility for that. That's our fault that we choose to buy this f...ing product. Therefore, mate, so, shut up you! This forum is for all of us all to exchange our experience.  And experience with Škoda Superb III so far f...ing terrible.

Their is a difference between sharing our experiences and trolling.... You appear to be on your own little crusade.

I have been sharing my experiences good AND bad with my Skodas since my first Fabia in 2002.

Your contributions appear to me at least to be a little one sided .....

Their is a difference between sharing our experiences and trolling.... You appear to be on your own little crusade.

I have been sharing my experiences good AND bad with my Skodas since my first Fabia in 2002.

Your contributions appear to me at least to be a little one sided .....

Lucky you, beeing so big fan and so loyal to Skoda phenomenal autos. My experience (just one year) with Skoda Superb which is the first (and the last!!!) Skoda auto that I ever would choose is as much terrible as hell... And this is just and only Skoda producer fault, not mine. This is not mine crusade. This is battle with Skoda, let they open eyes and stop producing faulty products. Therefore, I (and MartiniB) will inform other Briskoda users about Skoda faults and negligence, let others know what they can expect or draw their attention. Mate, peace on earth and enjoy your fantastic Skoda...!

Lucky you, beeing so big fan and so loyal to Skoda phenomenal autos. My experience (just one year) with Skoda Superb which is the first (and the last!!!) Skoda auto that I ever would choose is as much terrible as hell... And this is just and only Skoda producer fault, not mine. This is not mine crusade. This is battle with Skoda, let they open eyes and stop producing faulty products. Therefore, I (and MartiniB) will inform other Briskoda users about Skoda faults and negligence, let others know what they can expect or draw their attention. Mate, peace on earth and enjoy your fantastic Skoda...!

I rest my case... I predict that if you both continue it wont be long before our community gets fed up with it.... I will say no more ....

Edited by Nick_H

I rest my case... I predict that if you both continue it wont be long before our community gets fed up with it.... I will say no more ....

This is your personal view bro and not community... Enjoy your car and your liberal positive view about Skoda factory and it's "tjap ljap" products! You are not my judge! Peace!

To be honest I don't quite see what the problem is, other than physics, the wonders of a metallic, earthed RF shielding and  a very weak (as always) TX GPS signal.  The laws of physics can't be change.  European legislation is pretty tight on other emitters interfering with any GPS signal and unless it is a broadband jammer the GPS's spread spectrum code/signal will get through.

Edited by Chiily
  • Like 2

To be honest I don't quite see what the problem is, other than physics, the wonders of a metallic, earthed RF shielding and  a very weak (as always) TX GPS signal.  The laws of physics can't be change.  European legislation is pretty tight on other emitters interfering with any GPS signal and unless it is a broadband jammer the GPS's spread spectrum code/signal will get through.

I agree. What a stupid thing to complain about.

the problem is, you can have "Heated Windscreen" with and without GPS signal reception problem,

just pay 245e for lottery ticket.

if tested, dealer example, car were shown me that problem i never select that option.

just count how long time you will use Windscreen heating, 15-20 minutes in some cold mornings,

and compare that with side effect -

Waze(+many others) apps will give late instructions all the life of this windscreen.

i'm not fighting to "laws of physics", but manufacturer must add clear warnings.

Does heated windscreen in new superb has any visible lines which can make glare?

Actually, Superb II has also wired windscreen heating, but difference from Ford for example, is, that when in Ford you can see the wires and sometimes it`s disturbing, then in Skoda you don`t notice them.

But yes, S III has film layer type heating.

To the topic: I recall from some brochure that the heated windscreen is also IR coated. Very handy option, keeps inside temperature more stable.

Thanks - this was the kind of info I was searching for.

Unfortunately for me - I could not find yet such an info on the Superb configurator or Skoda site - this is why I was wondering.

For example, in the Passat and Golf configurator, the "heated windscreen" option is coupled with clear info on IR coating, while Skoda don't clearly specify this and this was the reason I was in doubt if it's worth choosing

Question is now: has anyone a clue if the standard winscreen is IR coated ? Could not find this info anywhere...

Thanks for your help

Just a quick question on this: I noticed that heated windscreen fitted cars have an interesting appearance when looked at in direct sun light with glasses: the windscreen has a colorly glow, a pinkish-green-amber glow, to be more precise.

The colours that you see on the windscreen are the indication of the heat reflective coating so if you don't see these colours then there is no coating.  The effect is even more visible if you wear polarising sunglasses.

Looking at the UK specs, this coating is only mentioned as part of the heated windscreen ("This also reflects heat when warm outside to help keep the interior cool.") so I would expect a standard non-heated windscreen would not have the coating.

I'm not sure how well the coating works.  I had a heat reflecting screen 13 years ago on a Peugeot 307 and it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference when comparing to cars without.  Technology might've improved since then however.  I would certainly get the option for the heated part and if the coating helps to reduce interior temperatures then that would be a bonus.  Personally, from my experience (albeit many years ago) I'd not pay for it purely for the heat reflecting coating.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced the heated windscreen actually has any special additional coating over the non-heated windscreens.

As already mentioned above the heating element of the windscreen is a microns thin metal film which by its very nature reflects the sun's heat and it's this effect that Škoda are referring to. There is no mention of additional "coating" for their heated windscreens that I've come across, but I willingly stand to be corrected.

The metal film covers almost the entire windscreen area. It's the same technology used in the canopies of modern fighter planes.

It's also this metal film that can interfere with weak radio signals such as GPS transmissions or low power cellular transmission and probably why Škoda offered the "phone box" option (though that only aids mobile phone reception, not GPS).

What you see with polarised lenses is a slight splitting of light wavelengths, called birefringence, which is caused by the tempering (toughening) process of the curved glass and also the sandwich-layer construction of "safety glass". It's birefringence that often causes the screen to appear different colours depending on which angle you are viewing it. This effect applies to any curved "safety glass" whether or not it has any special additional coating but because the metal film is reflecting more light than glass alone you will more readily notice the colours caused by birefringence with the naked eye.

As for the metal film itself, this can be seen when bright sunlight catches it just right and the entire screen turns gold (when viewed from outside). When that happens it really stands out from any other cars around it.

• Like 1

What you see with polarised lenses is a slight splitting of light wavelengths, called birefringence, which is caused by the tempering (toughening) process of the curved glass and also the sandwich-layer construction of "safety glass". It's birefringence that often causes the screen to appear different colours depending on which angle you are viewing it. This effect applies to any curved "safety glass" whether or not it has any special additional coating but because the metal film is reflecting more light than glass alone you will more readily notice the colours caused by birefringence with the naked eye.

Yes, you are correct but polarising lenses can show both.  When I first started wearing them I found it strange how some cars driving towards me had pinky-purple coloured screens over their entire area whereas other cars (including from the same manufacturers, both vehicle and glass) didn't - at least to the same extent.  The difference turned out to be those with the coloured screens were fitted with heat reflecting glass.

It may be the case that the metal film used for heating also reflects heat and therefore no additional coating is needed - certainly the brochure only makes reference to heat reflecting properties in combination with the heated screen.

As IR resistant windshshield (at least) is one of my "must be"-s, I have been searching amongst different sources and Skoda brochures from different markets about this.

First, heat resistance. Superb II has heat resistant windshield. But this only covers UV resistance. UV and IR resistance are totally different things. I don`t know exactly, how the UV protection works, but in case of IR protection the windshield / window has extra metal oxide (mix of titanium, copper etc) coated layer. You can reconize them by their purple color.

As told, somewhere in the official brochure I read that heated windshield has also IR protection and as the heated windshields has purple shade I quess that`s it. Don`t know really, why Skoda has to cover this information.

What is difference between UV and IR? My wife always complains, that she cannot wear shorts or skirt in Skoda in summer, because the legs become really hot under the sun. In last Mondeos with IR glass that I owned, she didn`t have any problems at all.

When I first started wearing them I found it strange how some cars driving towards me had pinky-purple coloured screens over their entire area whereas other cars (including from the same manufacturers, both vehicle and glass) didn't - at least to the same extent.  The difference turned out to be those with the coloured screens were fitted with heat reflecting glass.

Something that I wouldn't have noticed. I used to like polarised sunglasses when I was a youngster but they were not permitted for police advanced driving so I've never worn them for the last 40 years.