Twin exhaust vrs

Because people are buying into the Sporty Model image and want it to look like the cars are sporty and not just bought to get more MPG from running on derv.

vRS on Skoda Octavia is a trim level more than actually an indication of being a sporty drive.

Even the petrols with just 220ps (230ps for a limited period) are just Skoda cashing in on Motorsport Heritage & Success.

Why the Skoda CEO and VW are rethinking the vRS / L&K thing, 

plenty are buying the Monte Carlo, Sport & L&K Trim Levels 'they say' as Skoda no longer build Hot Hatches, just bigger cars that look fast.

Skoda Superb & Kodiaq might get the vRS name because Skoda want the publicity.

Edited by Offski

To be honest most car's badged as "performance" have fake tail pipes.

Mercedes-Benz diesel AMG (line) has fake tail pipes.

As offski said......now days it's mostly about trim level than performance. Not that this is anything new, it's been done before.

Also a cost and weight saving exercise.

A cost saving if you do not need 2 different rear bumpers.

Not a cost or weight saving to add useless tat which is metal that weighs more and is only there for 'the look' in the world of Co2 /g/km and saving weight for EU tests by 

less layers of paint, less sound insulation, lighter glass, spare wheels as an option so as not in the Kerb Weight at EU Testing,

smaller alloys on models so a lower VED band, smaller discs on the TDI model etc etc.

Yea I get that, but what I mean is on the Octy Vrs 220ps petrol the car has two functional exhaust pipes. Whereas on the Octy Vrs Tdi 184ps one is blanked off? It there a mechanical reason for diesels not needing two exhausts as I could name numerous petrol vehicles with a similar bhp output as the diesel Vrs which come with twin exhausts.

There is obviously no need in the case of the Mk3 Octavia vRS 2.0 TDI 184ps euro 6 emission engine cars to have a twin exhaust with one being fake, 

as there are other VW Group 2.0 TDI 184ps euro 6 emission vehicles with just the single exhaust pipe.

There are 2 litre or even less cc 4 cylinder petrol engines that meet Euro 6 emissions and have more than 184 ps or even 220ps and single tail pipes.

Edited by Offski

Yea I just wondered if there was a mechanical reason for the Vrs diesel not to have it e.g. Back pressure? Just seems daft else styling a car to have twin exhausts but capping one off on the diesel. So I would of thought if they could of left it as two they would of.

Yea I get that, but what I mean is on the Octy Vrs 220ps petrol the car has two functional exhaust pipes. Whereas on the Octy Vrs Tdi 184ps one is blanked off? It there a mechanical reason for diesels not needing two exhausts as I could name numerous petrol vehicles with a similar bhp output as the diesel Vrs which come with twin exhausts.

Actually, the diesel does have twin pipes; it's just that they are both on the same side, as per the Golf rather than being split left and right as the petrol cars are.

I always thought it was because the tdi vRS is based on the GTD rather than the GTi but Skoda cut costs by only using 1 bumper.

Yep. TSI is two back boxes with one pipe from each. TDI is one back box with two pipes.

Well, there's two outputs on same side yes.

But only one pipe going in to the muffler.

It looks very restrictive, I found out when I changed to twin output.

No it looks a lot better in the cold mornings.

post-143563-0-13093200-1476552457_thumb.jpg

post-143563-0-34368300-1476552467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1