Blank / button on dashboard above clocks

I noticed when cleaning the dashboard the other day there is a square blank button thing just above the dials on the curved pod thing.

Im not sure if it serves a purpose on different spec car but just checking what it is before i pull it out and check incase its for the airbags or somthing :D

This part here

IMG_1222.jpg

It may look blank but I'm pretty certain there is a sensor there if climate control is fitted. Believe this is what it looks like if removed:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-ROOMSTER-SUN-SENSOR-5J0907539-/282186792605?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Sorry i should not have said dials.

But do they show the needles brighter if you put your hand over the sensor on the dash.

ie not the dials light coming on as with the Sidelights/ Dipped / Full beam.

I have my dash covered to stop the glare on the windscreen so the sensor is covered all the time.

post-86161-0-48176700-1476778791_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-52874200-1476778814_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

If it's hot weather then it won't give a boost of cooling when it would otherwise sense that the sun's beating down through the windscreen and heating the car up. It works out how much cooling is needed right now from the interior temperature sensor and anticipates a temperature rise if the sun comes out. Works brilliantly on the Fabia and a little less well on my 15 year old Land Rover Discovery.

I've got climatatronic yeah so won't touch it.

As per my project thread, I've installed my autolights / coming home lights this afternoon and just tucked the sensor down by the windscreen so will try and find an alternative!

As above, what does it do then :)

It is the sun load sensor. The reason it looks blank is because the cover is in fact a special infrared filter that allows it to measure the heating effect of sunlight through the windshield.. You can access a hidden diagnostic menu on the climatronic iirc by pressing the foot vent button, face vent button and the econ button simultaneously. Then scroll through many channels of data with the rh dial. One of the channels shows the sun load sensor data, I cant remember which, but you can see the reading change instantly when you shade the sensor from sun.

I think some of the channels can even be programmed or used to perform calibrations using the lh knob.

Cant remember if full instructions are somewhere on this forum, or whether I saw it somewhere else

Here is some info in german http://www.skodacommunity.de/attachments/climatronic_pq24-pdf.8412/

Edited by xman
  • Like 3

I would be very careful in blindly messing with settings, if you dont have the instructions you may end up with a unit that doesnt work correctly. iirc some of the channels were very esoteric.

Edited by xman