Steering feels heavier...

Hi guys,

Over the last few days, my usually feather-light steering has been feeling a little heavier and slightly strange, as if it's reluctant to move away from the middle. This is particularly apparent at lower speeds although can still be felt at higher speeds. It's not pulling to one side or another, so I don't think it's anything to do with the tracking.

I actually don't mind it being a little heavier but I'm concerned as it's only recently become like this. I had my clutch repaired a few days ago but I can't think why that would cause a problem as the garage didn't say anything about needing to check the tracking/wheel balancing.

Is my power steering developing a fault, or does anyone know what might be causing this?

Cheers

I have the same problem. Mine wants to return to the center more than it should too... I'm also curious about this thread. If I release the steering wheel moving sometimes it's like a bomb returning to the center.... don't know if it is the normal behaviour or not!!

I've read first thing to check if your steering wants to return to the center is the strut bearing, checked mine and it's fine but noticed one spring and shock is older than the other, didn't solve my problem but check your strut bearing too.

Watch this:

Edited by dm222

Hi guys,

Over the last few days, my usually feather-light steering has been feeling a little heavier and slightly strange, as if it's reluctant to move away from the middle. This is particularly apparent at lower speeds although can still be felt at higher speeds. It's not pulling to one side or another, so I don't think it's anything to do with the tracking.

I actually don't mind it being a little heavier but I'm concerned as it's only recently become like this. I had my clutch repaired a few days ago but I can't think why that would cause a problem as the garage didn't say anything about needing to check the tracking/wheel balancing.

Is my power steering developing a fault, or does anyone know what might be causing this?

Cheers

Oh dear.

Take it back to the garage that did the clutch and ask them if they have fitted the correct bolt into the dog bone mount.

It's been done before,if you fit a bolt that's slightly too long it presses into the steering rack and knackers the rack.

• Like 2

Don't you just love people asking for advice/help on forums then they can't even be arsed to acknowledge the replies :(

I know. Makes me wonder why I bother sometimes.

• Like 1

Don't you just love people asking for advice/help on forums then they can't even be arsed to acknowledge the replies :(

My apologies. My laptop died the day after I posted (hard drive cable was knackered so couldn't even start up) so I've only just been able to check back.

Genuine thanks to everyone who's responded. My car goes in for its MOT tomorrow and I've already asked the garage to check my steering whilst they're at it, and mentioned the dogbone screw. Hopefully should get sorted! Cheers.

• Like 1

My apologies. My laptop died the day after I posted (hard drive cable was knackered so couldn't even start up) so I've only just been able to check back.

Genuine thanks to everyone who's responded. My car goes in for its MOT tomorrow and I've already asked the garage to check my steering whilst they're at it, and mentioned the dogbone screw. Hopefully should get sorted! Cheers.

If they have got the bolts the wrong way around putting them in the correct place now won't fix it,as the bolt will have put a dent in the rack.

It will need a new rack.

• Like 1

It was meant to be sorted yesterday but I needed the car back asap so they just did the MOT.

is it stiff at one particular point? or is it stiff all the way?

It's most noticeable when I start to turn one way or the other. And if I try and make a hard turning too quickly (as in, getting full lock on quickly, rather than flinging the car round a corner) it puts up a real fight.

• Like 1

index.jpg

Don't know what you mean but english is not my natural language  :peek:

It was meant to be sorted yesterday but I needed the car back asap so they just did the MOT.

It's most noticeable when I start to turn one way or the other. And if I try and make a hard turning too quickly (as in, getting full lock on quickly, rather than flinging the car round a corner) it puts up a real fight.

Yeah I know how that is, it's exacly like mine...  also in roundabouts it's hard to keep the steering at the position because it wants to return to the center.

Then I don't think it's the bolt... most probabe to be a kinked line (if it is related to the clutch replacement). 

Please if you find the problem please let us know.

Edited by dm222
  • Like 1

I'm not ignoring the above suggestions regarding the dogbone screw and the steering rack, but is there any chance this could be just down to something like Power Steering Fluid being low?

is it stiff at one particular point? or is it stiff all the way?

I haven't really noticed which particular point because it only happens every now and then when the car just feels like becoming stubborn. I will make a note when it happens next. Just last week the PAS light came on and the steering felt like hell. Switched the car off and light went away and steering has been fine since but I don't think it's actually perfect as stated above.

I'm not ignoring the above suggestions regarding the dogbone screw and the steering rack, but is there any chance this could be just down to something like Power Steering Fluid being low?

That is the first thing to check if your steering feels heavier. No one said that because they were relating the problem to the clutch change because you said it happened at the same time.

I haven't really noticed which particular point because it only happens every now and then when the car just feels like becoming stubborn. I will make a note when it happens next. Just last week the PAS light came on and the steering felt like hell. Switched the car off and light went away and steering has been fine since but I don't think it's actually perfect as stated above.

if the light is on, then it's not the same problem here, first thing to do is read the errors, and then go from there 

Edited by dm222

That is the first thing to check if your steering feels heavier. No one said that because they were relating the problem to the clutch change because you said it happened at the same time.

if the light is on, then it's not the same problem here, first thing to do is read the errors, and then go from there 

Ah okay, thanks, I've never had to do anything steering-related before so really am an absolute novice in this area. I'll check that first and see what happens. Is the fluid relatively easy to replace?

I've noticed there's greater resistance when turning right than left, but it's not all the time. It's odd.

Thanks again all

If it helps at all, the bolt at the rear of the dogbone is 61mm long according to this page (item 23).  If you take it out and measure it from underside of head to tip, you should be able to either re-assure yourself or not as to whether this is relevant to your trouble. Torque for refitting is 40Nm plus 90-degree further turn. If it's longer than 61mm, it may be your problem as suggested above.

• Like 1